• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] ISFP with Developed Ti

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone else have experience with people that often come across as another type because they've developed a function that isn't supposed to be in their stack?

My Ti seems high and when reading function descriptions, I recognize it in myself in the way that I process a lot of information.
My ESFJ daughter is in advanced reading groups at school, and all the other kids in her group go to enrichment classes for gifted kids. She said she was the only one that didn't, but she felt like she was pretty smart.

I remember hearing what she was saying and it translated in my head to if a = B and B=c, then a=c. So i told her she was smart if she was in that group, because the kids in that group are the same ones that go to the gifted classes.
Thats just one example, but I see relationships like this between concepts often.

I'm thinking that maybe I've developed Ti because of my sensitivity and that it would be easier to develop Ti than the opposite of my dominant, Te.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
The brain can do unusual things but I think if you strongly relate to Ti then you probably aren't an ISFP. My husband is an ISFP and his Ti is very poorly developed.

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure, definitely. Everybody uses all the functions, only that some are preferred over others. You should look into socionics.

I can relate to this and the example you gave as well. On cognitive functions tests I always score much higher on Ti than Te. However, Fi is always my most strongest function. Of course, these tests in general are known to not be very accurate, so I try not to take them too literally, but it's still interesting to ponder over.

I'm still unsure about my type tbh, but I'm sticking to ISFP for now. Do you think Fi is your strongest function?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Isn't Ti for ISFP the demon function. It's something they don't like. Unsual for ISFP to be high Ti.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm sure you could be an ISFP with extremely high and off the charts Ti if you defined Ti differently.

By definition this is a complete oxymoron. And you're definitely not the only one I heard and they later change their minds so don't worry about it.

If if you have it, you have it. No biggie. If you don't. Well congrats your psyche is normal.

Like INFJ's who claim they have high Si too. It just doesn't happen. They're probably just ISFJ's wearing a plastic unicorn horn on their foreheads.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's possible. Yes, Ti is inherently at odds with Fi, but that does not mean it always has to be weak. Jung never set a strict function order, just dom and inferior. For an isfp, It's dom fi and inferior Te, any combination can be in-between.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can relate to this and the example you gave as well. On cognitive functions tests I always score much higher on Ti than Te. However, Fi is always my most strongest function. Of course, these tests in general are known to not be very accurate, so I try not to take them too literally, but it's still interesting to ponder over.

I'm still unsure about my type tbh, but I'm sticking to ISFP for now. Do you think Fi is your strongest function?

Fi usually is my top function when I take the test at similar minds...or the Keys Cf test.
But Te and Si are usually dead last for me. I appreciate what those functions can do in the world, but I really don't like them. None of the other functions tend to provoke the same reaction in me.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm sure you could be an ISFP with extremely high and off the charts Ti if you defined Ti differently. By definition this is a complete oxymoron. And you're definitely not the only one I heard and they later change their minds so don't worry about it. If if you have it, you have it. No biggie. If you don't. Well congrats your psyche is normal. Like INFJ's who claim they have high Si too. It just doesn't happen. They're probably just ISFJ's wearing a plastic unicorn horn on their foreheads.

I completely understand how it sounds ridiculous.... whenever I read about infj's that have strong Fi I can't help but think they're INFP's.
It is paradoxical, but my EEG showed that I clearly prefer to engage brain regions similar to istps....yet my long-term wiring is that of an Introvert Feeling type. Dario suggested INFJ....but I know I'm not an intuitive dominant type.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's possible. Yes, Ti is inherently at odds with Fi, but that does not mean it always has to be weak. Jung never set a strict function order, just dom and inferior. For an isfp, It's dom fi and inferior Te, any combination can be in-between.
I've read that the dominant is used so much that we aren't even conscious of the process... and the inferior used so little we aren't even aware of its influence.
If Fi truly is my dominant function, I do not see how I'm using it in a conscious way. Gut reactions or feelings just happen, without any conscious choice...
Last night, my son had his first ever orchestra concert and all grandparents and his dad came (we've been divorced for 6 years)...and when we took a picture together with the kids, I was aware of the significance and felt so deeply for my children who haven't had a picture taken with both parents together in such a long time...and I had to keep from crying.
During the concert, a piece was played that was played at my grandma's funeral (she died when I was 6). I never went to the funeral but that song evokes such strong emotions because I think about the loss of someone I loved so much, and someone who loved me as much back.
I had to wrestle my phone from my daughter because I needed to distract myself so I could keep my composure.
Its times like those that I wonder if Fi is being used, or am I just a very sensitive person that feels things significantly?
I seem to understand the significance of something more than most people I meet.

Fi usually is my top function when I take the test at similar minds...or the Keys Cf test.
But Te and Si are usually dead last for me. I appreciate what those functions can do in the world, but I really don't like them. None of the other functions tend to provoke the same reaction in me.

Te is one of my last functions in my stacking as well. It's odd because it's supposed to be our 4th function. I guess knowing that Fi is your strongest function would for sure make you an ISFP. As someone else mentioned, socionics would probably explain more, but I don't have any knowledge on it personally.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've read that the dominant is used so much that we aren't even conscious of the process... and the inferior used so little we aren't even aware of its influence.
If Fi truly is my dominant function, I do not see how I'm using it in a conscious way. Gut reactions or feelings just happen, without any conscious choice...
Last night, my son had his first ever orchestra concert and all grandparents and his dad came (we've been divorced for 6 years)...and when we took a picture together with the kids, I was aware of the significance and felt so deeply for my children who haven't had a picture taken with both parents together in such a long time...and I had to keep from crying.
During the concert, a piece was played that was played at my grandma's funeral (she died when I was 6). I never went to the funeral but that song evokes such strong emotions because I think about the loss of someone I loved so much, and someone who loved me as much back.
I had to wrestle my phone from my daughter because I needed to distract myself so I could keep my composure.
Its times like those that I wonder if Fi is being used, or am I just a very sensitive person that feels things significantly?
I seem to understand the significance of something more than most people I meet.

I can't really say if this is related to the functions, but this strikes me more as Si (the subjective impression that objects instill). Then again, who wouldn't tear up in a similar situation? F is about placing value on something and when in the introverted state (Fi), this "value" is rated by oneself.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can't really say if this is related to the functions, but this strikes me more as Si (the subjective impression that objects instill). Then again, who wouldn't tear up in a similar situation? F is about placing value on something and when in the introverted state (Fi), this "value" is rated by oneself.

I can see why at first glance it may appear Si. But there wasn't anything specific about my grandma...just the feelings I had attached to her. I never even went to her funeral. And the song triggered the feelings because that song equates to losing grandma.
What was really interesting was that my Si dom step-dad said that song also triggered him because it was played at his mom's funeral... but the difference was that he actually was at the funeral where it was played and the memory brought back the full scene in detail. He said he felt like he was there at the funeral all over again, and could remember who was standing next to him, like he was transported back in time..and he struggled not to cry.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I completely understand how it sounds ridiculous.... whenever I read about infj's that have strong Fi I can't help but think they're INFP's.
It is paradoxical, but my EEG showed that I clearly prefer to engage brain regions similar to istps....yet my long-term wiring is that of an Introvert Feeling type. Dario suggested INFJ....but I know I'm not an intuitive dominant type.

Could you give an example? Like I know they're both introverted functions, but you're someone who feels deeply at a core level of values, take values knowing that your feelings are ultimately to be trusted over logic.

And you have the internal logic system that society works rationally and that because of people's actions people should work logically rather than follow a value 100%?

Maybe you're just a 6 (which might be me too) that sees the contradiction between everything and has a hard time deciding (while acting contradictory as well)?

INFJ's can seem to have both because Fi works out unconsciously while ENFP's work Fe unconsciously. It's like their hidden strength function. How INFJ's really seem to stick out more individually and how ENFP's somehow get everyone to like them and produce a good atmosphere.

I'd consider to let yourself think you're another type where Fi and Ti are not positions 1 to 8.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Could you give an example? Like I know they're both introverted functions, but you're someone who feels deeply at a core level of values, take values knowing that your feelings are ultimately to be trusted over logic. And you have the internal logic system that society works rationally and that because of people's actions people should work logically rather than follow a value 100%? Maybe you're just a 6 (which might be me too) that sees the contradiction between everything and has a hard time deciding (while acting contradictory as well)? INFJ's can seem to have both because Fi works out unconsciously while ENFP's work Fe unconsciously. It's like their hidden strength function. How INFJ's really seem to stick out more individually and how ENFP's somehow get everyone to like them and produce a good atmosphere. I'd consider to let yourself think you're another type where Fi and Ti are not positions 1 to 8.
What did you want an example of? Reasons why I don't think I'm an Intuitive dominant?
I do feel most of the time that I can subjugate my values if it would cause disharmony. I do try to live by a strong moral code of "do no harm" and to protect those that need it.
My logic is usually my own. I was never known to have commmon sense...it has gotten better as I got older, but so much of my early thinking was all book knowledge. Then as I've gotten older, I have rejected thinking that does not make sense to me.
I go between thinking I'm a 6 and 9 frequently. My ex-husband was a 9, and one major difference between us was that I was much more concerned over things than he was...he seemed to really not be affected by much. Almost like he didn't worry about the future, or have too many cares. He was extremely laid back. Where as I often feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and feel overwhelmed often. I'm just good about hiding my feelings so no one really knows. I've always thought I was like a deep ocean, calm on the surface but underneath was full of turbulent currents.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do tend to go with my feelings or how someone else's feelings will be impacted when I make a decision.... if it came down to doing what is logical, or taking feelings into account, I would side with the feelings.
I cant even go fishing anymore because I feel too badly for the worm. They can feel...and I can't condone their suffering.
I can separate from that somehow when I eat fish.... as long as I don't think about them actually being a real living thing.... that's not very logical, and the cognitive dissonance eats at me sometimes... but I still can't align myself to live by my values at all times.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The brain can do unusual things but I think if you strongly relate to Ti then you probably aren't an ISFP. My husband is an ISFP and his Ti is very poorly developed.

I am inclined to agree.

@OP, here's the thing. I was incredibly good at school growing up, I was able to excel in all subjects, I even for years outside of school did a very good job at a systems analyst and then business analyst position where it was my job to essentially think in a Ti manner -- it was very much about the intricate systems details that all tied together and ideally needed to tie together. As a BA/BSA, Te was a very negative thing -- we didn't want to do the 10% is good enough for now approach, and it could be very frustrating -- because our job was to account for everything.

But here's the thing. In my day to day life, I don't think in a Ti way *at all*. I find it quite annoying actually - when I have to hunker down and account for all of that. Tedious is more like it. As well, I can grow very impatient when interacting with strong Ti users at times. This doesn't mean I don't like or appreciate them though. So while I can DO it/think in that manner if I focus to do so, it is almost never how I tend to look at things or prioritize them. And, I don't spend time immersed in that world. How I go about things in my actual life is much more Te.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am inclined to agree.

@OP, here's the thing. I was incredibly good at school growing up, I was able to excel in all subjects, I even for years outside of school did a very good job at a systems analyst and then business analyst position where it was my job to essentially think in a Ti manner -- it was very much about the intricate systems details that all tied together and ideally needed to tie together. As a BA/BSA, Te was a very negative thing -- we didn't want to do the 10% is good enough for now approach, and it could be very frustrating -- because our job was to account for everything.

But here's the thing. In my day to day life, I don't think in a Ti way *at all*. I find it quite annoying actually - when I have to hunker down and account for all of that. Tedious is more like it. As well, I can grow very impatient when interacting with strong Ti users at times. This doesn't mean I don't like or appreciate them though. So while I can DO it/think in that manner if I focus to do so, it is almost never how I tend to look at things or prioritize them. And, I don't spend time immersed in that world. How I go about things in my actual life is much more Te.
Thank you for your perspective. I was a systems analyst as well for a couple years and absolutely hated it. The scheduling, planning, deadlines, lack of feeling like I was helping people and abstract nature of never feeling like I accomplished something tangible during my day was horrible. Most times I felt like I had no direction and since I was unable to organize a system for myself to work by, I was very ineffective and unsuccessful in comparison to my work as a medical lab technologist.
Could you give any examples of what you mean by the way you go about things being much more Te in your everyday life?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you for your perspective. I was a systems analyst as well for a couple years and absolutely hated it. The scheduling, planning, deadlines, lack of feeling like I was helping people and abstract nature of never feeling like I accomplished something tangible during my day was horrible. Most times I felt like I had no direction and since I was unable to organize a system for myself to work by, I was very ineffective and successful in comparison to my work as a medical lab technologist.
Could you give any examples of what you mean by the way you go about things being much more Te in your everyday life?

Well.... I kind of don't research much of anything? haha. I go off of my values, what I want for my life, make a decision, then go for it. I don't spend tons of time researching anything beforehand; I don't consult books, testimonials, podcasts, don't make spreadsheets accounting for all the details / various things that need to be addressed (like my infj friend does), websites, and so on. I just .... eventually make a decision, then DO what needs to be done to achieve it. I am not sure how else to describe it. So then obviously when I am executing on something I may need to do some research, but the point is that I don't do the extremely in-depth research accounting for almost everything, getting full knowledge of almost everything, dotting all the i's and crossing the t's, like a Ti user likely would.