• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFP or INFP?

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
If you're prone to going through tangents when talking, you're probably an INFP.

If you're more likely to be a keep-it-simple talker, you're more likely an ISFP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He just wants to talk about VI now.

Let him talk to himself.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
If you're prone to going through tangents when talking, you're probably an INFP.

If you're more likely to be a keep-it-simple talker, you're more likely an ISFP.

Hm, I don't think this is necessarily true. Functions are deeper than that.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
INFPs value Ne, hence they tend to go through tangents in conversation.

ISFPs, because of their Se preference, tend to be more to the point.

The issue with the association with Ne and tangents is that people tend to place themselves more on the Ne side. They think, "Hey I'm random and weird and I go on tangents, so I must be Ne." I'm an exceedingly tangential person and not an NP.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
My ISFP dream still alive.

Absolutely.

-Tangential
-Creative
-Random
-Insightful
-Intelligent
-Imaginative
-Original

You can be all these things and a Sensor. Don't listen to anyone who tries to type you as an iNtuitive just because you have these traits.

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
The issue with the association with Ne and tangents is that people tend to place themselves more on the Ne side. They think, "Hey I'm random and weird and I go on tangents, so I must be Ne." I'm an exceedingly tangential person and not an NP.

I do think SPs and NPs can share a tendency to hop around in conversation in a way that can offset me as an INJ.

But I think we Ni/Se types share a tendency to seek "the essence of things", "the heart of the question", "the central truths of things", you get the point (lol).

Not saying that Si/Ne types can't do this, but I think they have a tendency to go around things rather than through them as is the Ni/Se style.

Generally speaking, when something interests them, I think they tend to discuss it seeking to make it look more and more complicated, wanting to cover multiple angles, etc.

Whereas we Ni/Se types tend to seek to summarize, and at times, I think we can come across as overly simplistic to Si/Ne types, while we can perceive them as caught up in vines.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Imo we aren't trying to make it look more and more complicated, its just how our minds work. For example, you don't question dreams for being illogical. Similarly, we are wired in a way that is fundamentally different from another but there isn't necessarily a logical reasoning as to why it is that way. Sometimes it can be motivated by fear (or lack of it)...but yeah.

Ne isn't completely "random" either. That's just not how thinking works lol. It finds a small nudget and it quickly and excitedly jumps to another somewhat related framework. They might not be essentially the same, but it's not completely random either.

Se-Fi can be random but as I said, the ISFP I know tends to talk more in terms of sensations and the feelings they arise in her, and INFP will tend to talk more in idealistic terms, even if they were to (incorrectly) term it factual. There's this very obvious, "I wish the world were this way" quality with them, that you don't see that much with ISFP.

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
Absolutely.

-Tangential
-Creative
-Random
-Insightful
-Intelligent
-Imaginative
-Original

You can be all these things and a Sensor. Don't listen to anyone who tries to type you as an iNtuitive just because you have these traits.

Yup, Sensors can do great things. Sensation and iNtuition shouldn't be taken to imply IQ levels, they are simply instruments of perception.

And the difference between ISFPs and INFPs is best understood in terms of functions as oppposed to dichotomy. Since neither type has an Inferior Sensing or Intuition function, looking at S/N dichotomy can prove quite useless in distinguishing them.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yup, Sensors can do great things. Sensation and iNtuition shouldn't be taken to imply IQ levels, they are simply instruments of perception.

And the difference between ISFPs and INFPs is best understood in terms of functions as oppposed to dichotomy. Since neither type has an Inferior Sensing or Intuition function, looking at S/N dichotomy can prove quite useless in distinguishing them.

But isn't that the only way to tell the difference between them??

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
But isn't that the only way to tell the difference between them??

Not really, because when you have your Perceiving preferences in the middle positions of your preferential stack, it can be hard to tell what you prefer between Sensation and Intuition.

Plus, dichotomies, in my view, should be viewed through the cognitive functions, and it shouldn't be done the other way around.

But yeah, ISFPs prefer Se and Ni, whereas INFPs prefer Ne and Si.

I think at least most INFPs will tend to not be that good at Se, while ISFPs will tend to not be very good at Ne.

I think there's a tendency in Se Doms and Auxiliaries to desire constant physical motion (an I'm open to being wrong here) whereas I think INFPs might tend to crave this sort of thing less, as their restlessness can tend to be more in the realm of jumping through multiple ideas (again, I'm open to being wrong).

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not really, because when you have your Perceiving preferences in the middle positions of your preferential stack, it can be hard to tell what you prefer between Sensation and Intuition.

Plus, dichotomies, in my view, should be viewed through the cognitive functions, and it shouldn't be done the other way around.

But yeah, ISFPs prefer Se and Ni, whereas INFPs prefer Ne and Si.

I think at least most INFPs will tend to not be that good at Se, while ISFPs will tend to not be very good at Ne.

I think there's a tendency in Se Doms and Auxiliaries to desire constant physical motion (an I'm open to being wrong here) whereas I think INFPs might tend to crave this sort of thing less, as their restlessness can tend to be more in the realm of jumping through multiple ideas (again, I'm open to being wrong).

That still seems like S/N difference, but okay.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=28455]Fernando Perla[/MENTION]

Read Jung's description of the functions

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=28455]Fernando Perla[/MENTION]

Read Jung's description of the functions

I definitely agree, and take your time in trying to understand what each function is. Don't just take it at face value. If you're too impatient for that then answer a questionnaire, and people here will try and figure out your type. I mean you're asking us to type you when we don't know anything about you.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Another reading suggestion would be on the Ni/Se versus Ne/Si. It's a big difference.

I typed as INFP for a short while before I did a closer examination of the perceiving functions, but now wouldn't even begin to consider INFP again. Hope that will help you, too.