• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is there a proletariat anymore?

Lark

Obviously Marx was writing before the idea of a leisure class or leisure society, excepting perhaps a very, very small portion of the population, but do you think the Proletariat as he understood it exists any longer? If not does any version of a proletariat exist at all?

I've heard people in the US use the term "middle class" in ways that I have heard people in the UK use the term "working class", why do you think one terminology is more accepted/acceptable than the other? Do either of the terms mean anything like proletariat?

Mole

Permabanned
In prosperous democratic societies manual labour has almost all been replaced by machines.

So the medium of manual labour has been replaced by the medium of machines, and as we know, when one medium replaces another, the first medium rises in status. So manual labour has risen in status, and is religiously performed in fashionable, hight tech gymnasiums in every suburb.

And the status seekers flaunt their new status in the streets by displaying their muscles in their fashionable leotards.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, but in a post industrial society, pleasures and luxuries are tools used to keep these classes docile and subservient. Give them all smartphones and liquor stores to keep them nice and distracted from the pains of working class life. Times may change but the basic class divisions of capitalist society are alive and well. Most wage earners are a few paychecks away from homelessness. Really, I think it’s the merchant class that has all but disappeared. With big business increasingly replacing smaller independent businesses in a society where consumption has replaced production as the primary driving force, it’s no surprise that the wage earning masses have been shifted to different types of jobs. But their roles and purposes are still largely the same

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Euh8mwnUYAYozP7

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Perhaps we have different definitions of the terms again but in my book I don't think you can have the so called "neoliberal economy" without plenty of "proletariat" around.

Mole

Permabanned
The proletariat have been gentrified by advertising.

Adverting has been training the proletariat to live in a world of emotion, and to diss the intellect.

The result has been that the gentrified, emotional, proletariat voted for Donald Trump, a vulgar anti-intellectual, a mirror image of themselves. Trump is what they would be if they had a billion dollars.