• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Secular Leftism A Religion?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I did read only the 2 pages and barely the last, but... If "secular leftism" is a religion, then "secular rightism" is as well, we can speak of secular capitalism, secular communism, secular democratism, secular republicanism, secular fascism, etc... and treat all of these as a religion as well, using the same transformation that anticlimatic used on the first post. We cant speak of secular neoliberalism as a religion because it isnt old enough to have the secular label on it, though we can speak neoliberalism as a religion similarly as well. I dont even have much idea of people are talking about here, "leftism is a religion and blah blah blah"? Whatever...
Thank you for this eloquent and thought provoking contribution to the thread. I'll be mediating on it for months to come.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I did read only the 2 pages and barely the last, but...

If "secular leftism" is a religion, then "secular rightism" is as well, we can speak of secular capitalism, secular communism, secular democratism, secular republicanism, secular fascism, etc... and treat all of these as a religion as well, using the same transformation that anticlimatic used on the first post. We cant speak of secular neoliberalism as a religion because it isnt old enough to have the secular label on it, though we can speak neoliberalism as a religion similarly as well.

I dont even have much idea of people are talking about here, "leftism is a religion and blah blah blah"? Whatever...

Well, yes, you're correct, but that's not in keeping with the actual point of this thread. The goal is not actually analyzing belief systems, but rather punditry. In short, it's a long winded way of saying "Boy, those guys that believe in things different from what I believe in sure are dumb. They can't believe in the things that are true like me. They have to believe in the things that are false. "

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Church of Woke: Next American Religion? - The Center for the Study of Statesmanship

Cynicism and Profit Motive Can’t Explain the Woke Religion - WSJ

It's really strange correctly identifying something that many people told me was wrong, only to be vindicated two years later.

Dilbert cartoon for Monday, July 5, 2021. I expect you'll enjoy it.

dt210705.jpg
A link in case the cartoon doesn't show: https://dilbert.com/strip/2021-07-05