• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it unhealthy to be an introvert?

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've been giving myself a hard time lately about being introverted. Especially because of Covid, I've been spending a lot of time alone at home. Is it wrong to be an introvert?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been giving myself a hard time lately about being introverted. Especially because of Covid, I've been spending a lot of time alone at home. Is it wrong to be an introvert?

It’s as wrong to be an introvert as it is to be a woman or write with your left hand. That is to say, it’s not wrong at all. :hug:

We live in a world where extroversion is celebrated and encouraged. But that doesn’t make it better than introversion, just different. Introversion has its benefits as well - we have the benefit of recharging ourselves in solitude, the opportunity for quiet introspection, and the love of a few close friends who know us, among other things.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

Only if you are extreme introversion unless there is an event that justifies so (and in some aspects COVID does), but the same can be said for extraversion.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thanks. It is true I"m isolating a lot more because of Covid.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The question to ask yourself is does it make you unhappy? If it detracts from the quality of your life, makes you unhappy, affects you negatively, then it may be unhealthy. Of course, as pointed out, we're in unusual times right now, so even if it is doing those things, it may be serving the purpose of keeping you physically healthy. If it is unhealthy, you could try to find ways to incorporate more interaction with the world into your life.

Put

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, introversion is awesome! MBTI is all about preferences and there's no right or wrong ones

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No. What kind of talk is that? No. We’re in the middle of a bloody pandemic. Did someone say something to make you feel guilty? They’re probably not worth associating with, if so. Regardless of current state of the world, it’s perfectly healthy and justifiable for introverts to spend time at home, alone.

Lark

I would not say it is unhealthy, what is important is to know yourself, know how far you can adapt without becoming ill, this would got the same for anyone who is introverted or extroverted.

I would have thought that covid would be a boon to anyone who is a homebird, how has it been hard for you as an introvert?

As an extrovert some aspects of the pandemic have been hard for me but I see a great many benefits, a great many, and do not want to world to return to how it once was at all. It is extremely painful for some individuals and communities. A great many others are suffering because of their suffering.

However, it is patently clear that social conscience, civil society, fellowship are vital and there's no substitutes, state paternalism or confused malthusianism and social darwinism are just not cutting it. Acting in a neighbourly fashion with others in mind instead of insisting on your own self-importance ought to be spotlighted by the pandemic.

The media is poor at this kind of thing now and bizarrely conservatives think this is some sort of communist plot to talk this way now too. Everyone got really stupid somewhere along the line and lost the ability to think things through.

I used to study social policy and read a lot about vaccinations as the one exception to a lot of classical liberal or "individualist" thinking and discussions predating the creation of any kind of welfare state, like prefiguring sewage works (once condemned as communism) or other economic "public goods", like street lighting. So I can see the sorts of lessons that ought to follow developments like pandemics but other studies, or just life, have taught be that the lesson doesnt always follow from the event, whatever it may be.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Thanks, all. I am an introvert but I don't want to spend all my time alone; I think that's really unhealthy. And it really is Covid's fault that I'm so isolated.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I think it's unhealthy to be completely disengaged with your surroundings or to socially isolate for extended periods of time. For some, it may be unhealthy in shorter stretches of time. It just depends on one's needs.