• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Question

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My boss is an INTP. I am just trying to understand his view on things.

Example. You, the INTP, attend a meeting with your underling and discover a problem. During the meeting, you wonder out loud, how did this problem occur? The underling starts explaining but then stops, knowing the futility of an explanation (Having known INTP's, she thinks, why explain? Damage is done. Also, she doesn't want to make enemies with some of the others at the meeting).

During the course of the meeting, problem is solved.

My question - what is on your mind?
a. ok, onto the next problem
b. Awareness that underling messed up. Note to self not to trust underling so much.
c. other

TIA

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
If I wonder aloud, "how did this problem occur" I'm looking for a dry explanation of why the problem happened regardless of fault. If you don't want to throw anyone under the bus in the meeting that's fine, just tell me later, I can usually tell if someone is trying to protect somebody.

If the problem is solved, it's "Ok, on to the next problem, if the essence of what went wrong will appear again I'll keep a closer eye on it."

If you're incompetent or there's a pattern you can't overcome I'll either work around you and give you tasks you're naturally good at.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty much what Jock said.

If a particular person has intrinsic issues operating in the capacity they've been given, I'd seek to present them with opportunities more aligned with their skillset or find another place for them, and position someone with more relevant skills and inclinations to handle the task(s).

In general, I don't care who is at fault in terms of punishing someone, my primary focus is on resolving the issue. Mistakes and misunderstandings also happen, and so a certain amount of those is acceptable, if everyone is learning from them and/or making the adjustments needed to stay on course. The thing is, if someone consistently responds in a way where they are deflecting responsibility, blaming others, making excuses, etc. (which makes it hard to improve), then I perceive that as part of their makeup and it gets factored into future decisions including issues based on trust.

Questions about "how did this happen?" are less about pointing fingers and more about understanding the systematic process that brought us from point A to point B, so alterations can be made.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you both!!! :)

I like and respect my boss and I care about what he thinks of me, even if it is not much of anything most of the time, ha.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another question -

Another situation came up where I did something that contributed to a misunderstanding with my client at work. Not a huge deal, but I felt responsible.

I got my boss involved to solve the problem, and for the most part, we have a game plan. I overheard part of a phone conversation he had with the client, where the client must have said 'Well, XenaPrincess did x, y, z'. Though I was sitting right there, my boss did not mention it directly to me.

I felt compelled at a later point to say to my boss, well, I should not have done x, y or z. He didn't dwell on it and was onto the next thing.

(sorry for the prologue but)...my question is, does it matter that I brought up my awareness? I felt I could easily have gotten away with playing dumb. He wasn't going to bring it up, and it didn't seem to bother him. But it bothered me, so I felt I had to mention it.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another question -

Another situation came up where I did something that contributed to a misunderstanding with my client at work. Not a huge deal, but I felt responsible.

I got my boss involved to solve the problem, and for the most part, we have a game plan. I overheard part of a phone conversation he had with the client, where the client must have said 'Well, XenaPrincess did x, y, z'. Though I was sitting right there, my boss did not mention it directly to me.

I felt compelled at a later point to say to my boss, well, I should not have done x, y or z. He didn't dwell on it and was onto the next thing.

(sorry for the prologue but)...my question is, does it matter that I brought up my awareness? I felt I could easily have gotten away with playing dumb. He wasn't going to bring it up, and it didn't seem to bother him. But it bothered me, so I felt I had to mention it.

I'm pretty sure you're ok. If he didn't dwell on it, he probably wasn't all that concerned. Might have been a "difficult" client; would explain why he didn't dwell. An INTP boss wouldn't really care what the typical difficult customer said regarding the boss' employees, especially if it was negative. At that point, what they say is gonna be taken with more than one grain of salt.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you both!!! :)

I like and respect my boss and I care about what he thinks of me, even if it is not much of anything most of the time, ha.

he probably thinks more highly of you than you're aware of.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
C) Other. What's important to me is making sure it doesn't happen again, but it doesn't mean I would think less of anyone that reported to me. Though if there are things going wrong on a regular basis (you know what we're like with noticing patterns) then it's time for something more drastic. One thing I hate though is micromanagement, I certainly would try to avoid that.

Self confidence is important though, and I would not want anyone to feel they can't do their job (it could lead to more errors anyway), so I'd focus on things they do well. Helps to keep harmony anyway.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty sure you're ok. If he didn't dwell on it, he probably wasn't all that concerned. Might have been a "difficult" client; would explain why he didn't dwell. An INTP boss wouldn't really care what the typical difficult customer said regarding the boss' employees, especially if it was negative. At that point, what they say is gonna be taken with more than one grain of salt.

Thanks BK.
There is truth in your response. He routinely refers to the contractor as the 'keystone cops'. An old fashioned reference that is not flattering.
The clients are also all over the place.

- - - Updated - - -

he probably thinks more highly of you than you're aware of.

I think he does like me. We are similar idealists.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
C) Other. What's important to me is making sure it doesn't happen again, but it doesn't mean I would think less of anyone that reported to me. Though if there are things going wrong on a regular basis (you know what we're like with noticing patterns) then it's time for something more drastic. One thing I hate though is micromanagement, I certainly would try to avoid that.

Self confidence is important though, and I would not want anyone to feel they can't do their job (it could lead to more errors anyway), so I'd focus on things they do well. Helps to keep harmony anyway.

I truly agree with this. He does take care not to destroy his employees' confidence, which to some is a sensitive gesture. He is a kind person, though at times pre-occupied and looks like he just flew in from another planet.

Anyway, thank you. :)