• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] Interview With Dario Nardi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientSpirits

MBTI Type
INTJ
Nuture or nature for type? Is type genetic? Environmental impact in the womb? Early childhood (6 and younger)? How do so all this?

The Minnesota Twin Family Study on identical twins raised apart suggests that MBTI personality type preferences are 40-60 percent inherited. Same for Big Five. So nature and nurture both play a role. I'd go so far as to say 40-60 percent is very high for something so complex, a testament to the relevance of personality. What's weird is that even very specific life choices such as the kind of car a twin drives, etc also tend to be identical at a far higher rate than chance! I'm sorry I cannot immediately find a good link to this. There's quite a bit on the Internet floating around about it.

In my brain imaging data, I see that type plays a similarly significant role in brain wiring, though career must necessarily be part of the picture too. I've been gathering data from a colleague in India who uses my EEG protocol, and culture seems to play a role too. Indian graduate students at least seem to have more activity and wiring in the left temporal region, and less prefrontal, than their American counterparts. So they seem to be more detailed-oriented and perhaps less proactive in their affairs. I have 20+ folks from the UK too. They CLEARLY have more F4 wiring than their American counterparts. F4 is the right frontal region that aids abstract language use including metaphor, concepts and categories, humor, and probably poetry as well. Hmm. Not a surprise.

AncientSpirits

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've mentioned "brain wiring" a number of times. I don't mention this in "Neuroscience of Personality". I do go into it in 2 other places:
-- "Our Brains in Color" booklet
-- this one hour video

Here's a page out of the booklet:

Networks.png

OkNo

I do have one more question. Or a few related ones.

You have mentioned your interest in personality models as therapeutic tools. I am often unimpressed with what passes for "therapeutic use" of MBTI on internet forums for a number of reasons, but foremost among them is that the way people appear to use MBTI ideas (and this is especially true for discussions that involve "the functions" or "stacks") is to latch onto whatever ideas "seem true", attempt to fit their problems into the current internet memes surrounding MBTI (such as "function loops", which has already been mentioned in this thread), and then looking for solutions that are premised on the "folk psychology" being true. To be clear, I don't see the problem with anyone speculating and introspecting based on internet-MBTI. It can be fun to imagine and wonder and conjecture. The problem, as I see it, is that often times function jargon impedes rather than facilitates self-discovery because it asks individuals to understand a system (of questionable truth value) and then fit themselves into that system rather than asking individuals to understand themselves. It reminds me a bit of Scientology, for example, in the sense that Scientology also markets itself as a therapeutic program, but whose underpinning may only have a, shall I say, weak relationship with reality. MBTI internet forums already had a brush with a strange, cult-y, abusive group in the past (the podlair people), so it's not much of a stretch to compare aspects of MBTI internet culture with aspects of Scientology.

What is your take on the memetic churn of internet MBTI forums/culture and the benefit or harm of questionable ideas being pursued for therapeutic use? Is it reasonable to expect untrained or "lay" people to be able to use therapeutic tools effectively? What do you think is the proper scope of beneficial therapeutic use of the MBTI and similar ideas? What are the dangers you see? Do you think it is dangerous to present MBTI conjectures as facts?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My parents are both Te and Fi (ESTJ dad, ENFP mom) and me and my sister are Fe and Ti (me SFJ, sister INTP) so we all share Si and Ne in some order but me and my sister swapped judging axes.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Minnesota Twin Family Study on identical twins raised apart suggests that MBTI personality type preferences are 40-60 percent inherited. Same for Big Five. So nature and nurture both play a role. I'd go so far as to say 40-60 percent is very high for something so complex, a testament to the relevance of personality. What's weird is that even very specific life choices such as the kind of car a twin drives, etc also tend to be identical at a far higher rate than chance! I'm sorry I cannot immediately find a good link to this. There's quite a bit on the Internet floating around about it.

In my brain imaging data, I see that type plays a similarly significant role in brain wiring, though career must necessarily be part of the picture too. I've been gathering data from a colleague in India who uses my EEG protocol, and culture seems to play a role too. Indian graduate students at least seem to have more activity and wiring in the left temporal region, and less prefrontal, than their American counterparts. So they seem to be more detailed-oriented and perhaps less proactive in their affairs. I have 20+ folks from the UK too. They CLEARLY have more F4 wiring than their American counterparts. F4 is the right frontal region that aids abstract language use including metaphor, concepts and categories, humor, and probably poetry as well. Hmm. Not a surprise.

I have adopted identical twin teenage sons. One is clearly a INTP. The other is clearly a ESFJ. They clearly are complimentary in their types, so it seems that JCF stacking clear. It seems that prenatal issues created two distinct personalities, but with the same functions. Their personalties were evident from the NICU, born very premature.

So, I wonder if genetically the stack might be set in genetics, but not the order.

AncientSpirits

MBTI Type
INTJ
I do have one more question. Or a few related ones.

You have mentioned your interest in personality models as therapeutic tools. I am often unimpressed with what passes for "therapeutic use" of MBTI on internet forums for a number of reasons, but foremost among them is that the way people appear to use MBTI ideas (and this is especially true for discussions that involve "the functions" or "stacks") is to latch onto whatever ideas "seem true", attempt to fit their problems into the current internet memes surrounding MBTI (such as "function loops", which has already been mentioned in this thread), and then looking for solutions that are premised on the "folk psychology" being true. To be clear, I don't see the problem with anyone speculating and introspecting based on internet-MBTI. It can be fun to imagine and wonder and conjecture. The problem, as I see it, is that often times function jargon impedes rather than facilitates self-discovery because it asks individuals to understand a system (of questionable truth value) and then fit themselves into that system rather than asking individuals to understand themselves. It reminds me a bit of Scientology, for example, in the sense that Scientology also markets itself as a therapeutic program, but whose underpinning may only have a, shall I say, weak relationship with reality. MBTI internet forums already had a brush with a strange, cult-y, abusive group in the past (the podlair people), so it's not much of a stretch to compare aspects of MBTI internet culture with aspects of Scientology.

What is your take on the memetic churn of internet MBTI forums/culture and the benefit or harm of questionable ideas being pursued for therapeutic use? Is it reasonable to expect untrained or "lay" people to be able to use therapeutic tools effectively? What do you think is the proper scope of beneficial therapeutic use of the MBTI and similar ideas? What are the dangers you see? Do you think it is dangerous to present MBTI conjectures as facts?

A really great question. For the most part, I share your concern.

Many clinical psychologists say they find little use in using Type, or at least the MBTI instrument, and would likely say that about Five Factor Model and such as well, though that's a guess. In some areas like careers or marriage counseling, I can see the benefit because bringing preferences into conscious awareness is a more natural fit. There, we're aiming to empower the person to make their own choices and/or engage in perspective shifting on their own. In contrast, in a psychotherapy session, the issues are often deep-seated and emotional in nature, beyond the scope of Type per se, though shadow work etc may be relevant. A number of type experts like Linda Berens and Eve Delunas have PhDs in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT), so they can speak much better than I can. Personally, I never attempt any kind of therapeutic process with people beyond offering some advice to a friend or doing a brain imaging session, which they understand is meant to be informative not therapeutic. It's not my area, and I follow the maxim, "first, do no harm". With regard to the 8 cognitive processes and all the nuance with it, well, that's beyond most people's interest; if I were to suggest a model, it would be temperament. It can be kept simple and it gets at needs and values. Connecting a person back to his or her essential needs has clearer therapeutic value. On the therapist side, they often know a host of models and techniques. I think therapists can benefit from knowing Type. When there's a natural fit between therapist and client, such as INFJ-INFJ, they may share blindspots. And when there's a big difference, such as INFJ-ESTJ, the therapist may wonder how to best engage and retain the client. Type can help there, not to say anything specific to the client, but to improve the therapist's other favorite tools.

I've looked at brain activity as therapists and coaches work with clients. I did this with Andrea Isaacs and 6 of her clients. We did 1 hour baseline EEG sessions. Then she did 1-hour therapy sessions (with me in the corner at the EEG monitor). And finally, we did follow ups the day after to see how well the client was able to evoke the resources still helped "install" for them the day (or two) before. I've done similar stuff in Prague and San Diego. EEG fluctuates and shows meaningful (relevant) changes during therapy sessions. I talked about those in detail in workshops and in "Our Brains in Color".

Like most of the folks who use Type in a professional capacity, I don't participate in the MBTI forums and online culture. While many folks are well-meaning, my time is better spent interacting with other professionals, doing research, and so forth. Also, there are some significant holes in the knowledge base amongst online communities, such as the existence of the MBTI Users Manual, CAPT and the MILO database, APTi.com, and so forth. From brief perusal over the years, it seems there's often tremendous speculation about topics like IQ and type without knowing the topic has already been researched and published.

From what I gathered, Jung took his ethical responsibilities as a therapist very seriously yet he didn't take his tools that seriously. He worked at a high epistemological level, well beyond where most people are. Only recently, as I've read more into Jung, delved into altered states of consciousness, and spent more time reading Peter Geyer' stuff, have I understand how Jung thought about things.

For "lay" persons, it can be helpful at times to know about basic therapeutic concepts like projection, so long as they stick to applying those tools to themselves. Isabel Myers' original two goals were to help people find satisfying careers and bring peace to the world through understanding. David Keirsey warned about the Pygmalion Project (the inclination to try to mold others to be like us, which is doomed). Type gives us a lens and language to actualize these goals. There are many tools that help with those goals. And if Type is being used otherwise, I'm unsure of its purpose. Perhaps it's most visible when someone bringing out Type in a heated spat with a loved-one. I literally have never done that. Very disrespectful, in my opinion. If Type helps you be more present, to build trust and respect with others, great. And when a relationship is strong, it can make for some fun conversations about differences. In all fairness, there does seem to be a "Type addict" phase that may occur naturally and people can move past. And out of compassion, I try to see how a misuse -- or simply, over-zealousness -- is part of a person's journey of discovery and growth using Type as a kind of mandala. So the person who goes into developing a new theory or whatever is simply trying, perhaps unconsciously, to internalize the model and somehow grow from that.

I believe a person can hurt themselves in a bad relationship by using Type. What I mean is, Type becomes a reason to stay in the relationship by explaining away genuine issues and incompatibilities as mere personality differences. If your partner is hitting you, that's a red flag to leave, not a mere indicator of dysfunctional extraverted Sensing (or whatever). And there are some insane people out there. M Scott Peck said, based on his years as a therapist, that perhaps 20% of the population is dominated by psychopathy, though often they are still functional, and of course people can move beyond that. Many people as young adults have some kind of episode. Just stretch that out over years. I say this as a warning when trying to engage in amateur therapy.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you for your responses to my previous questions [MENTION=14444]AncientSpirits[/MENTION].

I appreciate Eastern Philosophy as well. I try to mix both into my mind. I mean since I do live in America, I do read more western ultimately by chance more.

Dogs was the correct answer, but I'll give you partial credit for supporting evidence. ;) (Some cats are just too cute to pass up though)

And thank you for the other responses.

Given you may not have much time, here are some more.. I'll get right to it.

1. So as someone who may be struggling to find their auxiliary function.. in my case I believe it's Fe or Te.. think of any ways to resolve that? I don't like finding out one's type by simply the lack of doing.. (behavioral).. which you might agree with (since this is cognition after all).

2. When meeting your INFJ and INTJ test subjects in general , did you notice a stark difference in their personalities?

3. Given you were/are (excuse me for my ignorance) a college professor, did you see a use through the UC system? (I live in California, but in the Northern area) I might of thinking of transferring to one of their schools when I get back in college. You seemed rather upset with the staff there if I read you right.

4. Did you or will you study dream states of types as well? (kind of esoteric maybe, but will you.. if this excited a search/hypothesis within you make sure to credit Forever from Typology Central Lol)

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you for all your responses here, Dario.

If nothing else, you may have opened many here to the understanding of the enormous and rich world studying typology and introduced some interesting resources.

Having watched your Google talk a few years ago, it is disheartening to think that you are no longer teaching. So many academics are very boring and counterproductive to learning, while I suspect you greatly inspired and enlightened your students.

Thank you for all your efforts and I look forward to your continued production of great resources.

AncientSpirits

MBTI Type
INTJ
1. So as someone who may be struggling to find their auxiliary function.. in my case I believe it's Fe or Te.. think of any ways to resolve that? I don't like finding out one's type by simply the lack of doing.. (behavioral).. which you might agree with (since this is cognition after all).

2. When meeting your INFJ and INTJ test subjects in general , did you notice a stark difference in their personalities?

3. Given you were/are (excuse me for my ignorance) a college professor, did you see a use through the UC system? (I live in California, but in the Northern area) I might of thinking of transferring to one of their schools when I get back in college. You seemed rather upset with the staff there if I read you right.

4. Did you or will you study dream states of types as well? (kind of esoteric maybe, but will you.. if this excited a search/hypothesis within you make sure to credit Forever from Typology Central Lol)

1. I would bring in another model, either temperament (notably for NF and NT types) or interaction styles (notably for SJ and SP types).

2. Yeah, I meet a fair number of INFJs and INTJs. What stands out is a difference in temperament. The concerns, values, needs, etc for each are quite different, even at odds.

3. I'm a Senior Lecturer in Anthropology, though I now mainly teach Computing once a year. Mostly, I left teaching, though I love it, do the administrators and their politics. "Staff" is actually the secretaries, juniors, technicians and so forth who make the day-to-day operation possible. They are almost entirely lovely folks of nearly unlimited patience. The UC is pretty good, particularly at UCLA, because the students are from the top of the high school system and many of the faculty are doing interesting stuff, even if they can be fairly biased (north campus) or boring (south campus).

4. I haven't, and I probably won't. There's a lot of research by others already on this topic. What begs more attention is the impact of psychedelics, particularly entheogens, on the brain. UCLA is actually an exciting place for that, what with the newly approved MDMA studies, among others. You can see this neat overview of the brain on LSD here:
Because Science - For the first time ever, scientists...
This isn't an area I work in; very competent people are already doing that (legally).
Instead, I've done some imaging of folks on DMT and 5MeO-DMT, where people look like they are asleep and from a novice's viewpoint, might be dreaming, but in fact their brains are experiencing something entirely different. That said, I probably won't get too much into this, more as a little side thing, because you have to travel to do the research, and the bar to get accepted into the Psychedelic Sciences conference is incredibly high.

AncientSpirits

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you for all your responses here, Dario.

If nothing else, you may have opened many here to the understanding of the enormous and rich world studying typology and introduced some interesting resources.

Having watched your Google talk a few years ago, it is disheartening to think that you are no longer teaching. So many academics are very boring and counterproductive to learning, while I suspect you greatly inspired and enlightened your students.

Thank you for all your efforts and I look forward to your continued production of great resources.

You're welcome. It was an interesting time. The week has given me an opportunity to look back and observe how my attitude about type has changed over the years, from enthusiast to apprentice to author to researcher to meta-commentator.

I do teach occasionally. Particularly if you want to take an intro to computing course, or a big data and algorithms course at UCLA during summer session....

While I enjoyed winning UCLA's Teacher of the Year in the 2011, I knew that the video and talk I gave on my "secrets" of teaching would likely fall on deaf ears. It's probably a calling, one that I would love to return to at some point.

While I find Type valuable, I believe the community will benefit by embracing the topics of development and consciousness. It's just a tiny step from the Type pond to the ocean of Jungian studies! LOL. Writing "Jung on Yoga" has helped me getting some of the way there:
Jung on Yoga: Insights and Activities to Awaken with the Chakras: Dario Nardi: 9780988523524: Amazon.com: Books

AncientSpirits

MBTI Type
INTJ
Want to join a community where people use Type in a professional capacity?

In the USA: Association of Psychological Type International. Or here on Facebook. Next conference is summer 2019. There are many local chapters.

In Australia and New Zealand: Australian Association of Psychological Type (AusAPT). Or here on Facebook. Next conference is early October 2018.

In the UK and Europe: British Association of Psychological Type (BAPT). Or here on Facebook. Next conference is mid April 2018.

I am scheduled to be at all of these, and at least for the AusAPT and BAPT conferences, I will be offering brain imaging as well as pre and post conference events.

AncientSpirits

MBTI Type
INTJ
Unless there are a few pressing questions, I'll close with one of my favorite training activities for perspective shifting. It take a couple hours but is well worth it. One of my favorite hobbies is creative writing, and I've seen people *of all types* do an amazing job writing from someone else's perspective.

creative-writing.png

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@AncientSpirits:

If you're still answering questions, I think my questions from yesterday got lost in the debate.

Here's the link to my post:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...3318-interview-dario-nardi-9.html#post2930999

ETA: Was repped by [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] that the link doesn't work. Post #87 from yesterday. Copied it into spoiler:

AncientSpirits

MBTI Type
INTJ
@AncientSpirits

Your 4 creativity shows and you've kept 4 as a wing. Has your relationship to 4 feeling emotionally unpleasant evolved over time? What are your thoughts about the concept that humans are, at base, emotional beings (even T-types ;) ) who rationalize, as opposed to rational beings?

I'm definitely a different person emotionally now than at age 21. If I'm going to be vulnerable in a situation, then I understand I may feel hurt. But that's okay. I can just let it come up and feel it and live with it for a while, and it will likely dissipate as I learn something from it.

When people feel negative emotions, particularly ones linked to temperament needs going unmet (esteem) or to deeper personal issues, they have a number of choices:
-- shove it down and ignore it, where it will eat at the person
-- analyze it, usually in a detached way to locate lessons
-- let it all out, or perhaps use humor, typically asking for help
-- temporarily relieve its weight with drugs, exercise, or such
-- weaponize it as an ideological tool to rage and attack others
-- others?

Neuroscience research suggests that people are mostly irrational. Using the left prefrontal region, we can make up "just so" or "good enough" reasons to almost anything on the spot. This is sort of scary. At times, I feel we are all insane monkeys in various clown outfits with our fingers on dangerous weapons. At other times, I feel more charitable. I think when dealing with concrete life-or-death challenges, most people can get out of their fantasies and do what's needed to survive. And I do think objectivity-subjectivity sits along a spectrum. Feeling folks (in the social sciences or humanities) who think objectivity is "impossible" should maybe look closer to home. I have seen people with a Thinking preference actually engage the brain's major reasoning regions during debate and/or get into a mode of shutting out their limbic reactions in favor of abstract problem solving. So Type does make some difference, though the natural human inclinations toward fantasy (when life is easy) and survivalism (when life is hard) likely predominate.

Would you give examples of what "missing referential index" and "casual violations" are, please?

In linguistics, there's this idea of "surface structure" vs "deep structure". The surface structure is the actual utterance. But grammatically, that utterance is likely leaving empty a variety of slots or making certain assumptions. When we dig down, get at the deep structure, we can learn something about the speaker or at least we can ask the speaker some questions to clarify what is meant and perhaps shift their thinking.

For example:
Utterance: That's bad.
Need clarifications: Who's the origin of this judgement? What's "that?" Bad really means, "worse than X", so what's X? Have is always been this way? And so forth.

I should have said Lost Performative for Ti; while Missing Referential Index is more Fi.

Lost Performative: The judge of the sentence is left out.
Utterance: That's illogical.
Corrective: Who decided that? (presumably the speaker thinks this, but prefers to not take responsibility for their opinion).

Missing Referential Index: Who we're talking about is unclear.
Utterance: Nobody likes me.
Corrective: Nobody at all, really? Who in particular comes to mind? (usually, broad words like always, never, everyone, no one, etc, are a mask for someone in particular).

Causal Violation: One person can cause another person's emotional or mental state.
Utterance: My wife makes me so mad.
Corrective: How specifically? Does she use a specific word or action?

Mind-Reading: Presuming you know someone else's mental state.
Utterance: He loves me.
Corrective: What are some clues that tell you how he feels?

Nominalization: Converts an ongoing process into a static object.
Utterance: Communication is key.
Corrective: What typically helps two people to start talking?

There are many more. I probably did a poor job with the corrective. It's literally 20 years since I took a course in this stuff. But I designed the Socialbot AI to pick up these patterns and ask follow up questions to elicit greater meaning and specificity from the human user.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Want to join a community where people use Type in a professional capacity?

In the USA: Association of Psychological Type International. Or here on Facebook. Next conference is summer 2019. There are many local chapters.

I can vouch for apti. I have been to local chapter events and found them to be interesting with some knowledgeable people. I would go to more except i travel so much and am often unable to go. The best thing I did was a two day training event with Linda Berens which was awesome.

Last edited:

AncientSpirits

MBTI Type
INTJ
@AncientSpirits
This. So much this. My questions are an attempt at learning from another view point, seeing where my models are lacking and where they have merit.

However, my experience has been that instead of listening, engaging in discussion, and learning from one another, what happens is an almost automatic defensiveness of one's perspective. I'm guilty of that defensiveness and am trying to be more aware of it. Also, I think that understanding one another has gotten more difficult as our communities grow and change because communication is based on a lot of assumptions about common experiences and cultural norms.

That people get emotional, political, etc in the Type community reminds us that Type by itself is not enough.

For me, I can get defensive when I feel that I have something to lose. So the the root of that suffering is me staying attached. I believe, since we each have some karmic obligations, staying attached may be appropriate. In those cases, the trick is to remain present, to allow everything to well-up and express itself, and once it's had its say, to let go of it.

Here's a page from Jung on Yoga. While Jung and Ram Dass are talking in terms of chakras, you can just think of them as levels of consciousness.

attachment.png

What are your thoughts on how people can better coordinate?

I suggest joining a women's or men's group, the kind that emphasizes practicing how to interact with honesty and respect for yourself and others. If you can stay looking at someone in the eye, allowing each person to speak and act without fancy language or anger, allowing questions to confirm integrity, then that goes a long way. Moreover, if you can set some commitments for yourself each week, no matter how small, and follow through on those, that's also helpful. I might use playing tennis a metaphor. Dancing is fine too. In order to play or dance together, you need to practice with the other person, sure, and to do that well, have respect for them and for you, including knowing when it's time to move on to someone else or doing something different with that person.

Some tools:

-- Learn tennis, dance or such to practice pairs-work
-- Perspective shifting using tools like Type
-- "Mindfulness" practices (minding self and others)
-- Powerful shared experiences can act as a glue
-- Staying in the moment (stay relevant and present to what's in front of you now)
-- Do a stress relieving activity so those things don't interfere in your relationships
-- Striving for virtue rather than the lowest common denominators

AncientSpirits

MBTI Type
INTJ
I can vouch for apti. I have been to local chapter events and found them to be interesting with some knowledgeable people. I would go to more except i travel so much and am often unable to go. The best thing I did was a two day training event with Linda Berens which was awesome.

Thanks for the personal recommendation. :)

On a related topic, it's important to keep in mind that some of us professionals have been involved with type for twenty, thirty, even forty years. Most of the booklets I wrote with Linda Berens are 15 to 20 years old. Of course, some of our language and methods have changed during that time. Linda learned temperament from David Keirsey personally in the early 70s. Naturally, some innovations and shifts in perspective have occurred. Broadly, in the type community, a lot happened with the 8 cognitive processes, particularly during the mid 1990s to mid 2000s, before I started my neuroscience research, and shifts are still occurring ten years later....

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Goodbye Dario Nardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.