• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Instinctual Stackings

Secret Squirrel

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can someone explain the instinctual stackings in enneagram to me? I feel like I do not really understand them. I know I am a 5w6, and I believe my tritype is 5w6 9w8 3w4, but I have no clue what stackings I am, or what they mean for that matter.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What have you read this far? We may be able to link you to some websites which explain it well, but I don't want to assume you haven't read them yet.

This is my take on it... The instincts are literal human needs we all have, but we give one a priority, often at the expense of other things, so that it colors our personality. The second instinct is kind of a support to the primary instinct, and it can sometimes show up as the most balanced because of this. The last is a blindspot and it can end up frustrating our primary instinct's needs until we learn to give it proper attention.

Even though the instincts are about literal human needs, the way they manifest in the personality is not so literal, and the hyperfocus on one doesn't mean someone is good at it. An often used example is that those who have the sexual instinct first probably DON'T view sex as just a physical, pleasurable act. The same goes with self-preservation - the focus is not just on being comfortable, secure or healthy.

Self-preservation - Focus is on yourself, of course - physical survival, privacy, autonomy, etc. Can show up as an over-focus on safety/health/comfort/financial security and/or as risk-taking, being a loner or just very independent/self-sufficient, being a bit morbid, being a workaholic, seeking outlets for self-expression, indulging in luxury or being ascetic, etc.

Sexual - Focus is on finding a mate and passing on your genes. Can show up as seeking exhilarating and intimate connections with another person (including being seductive), emphasizing masculine/feminine qualities, seeking highs (ie "climax) and leaving your individual mark and/or as a fear of intimacy, anxiety over attractiveness, difficulty feeling satisfaction (nothing is ever enough), and perhaps extreme pickiness with mating.

Social - Focus is on the community - carving your niche, making alliances, being connected, identifying with something larger than yourself, belonging, etc. These groups can be family, friends, religions, businesses, sports teams, social causes, politics, nationality, race, etc. Anyway that people group/identify themselves socially. It can show up as giving support to a community you are a part of, desire to be a leader or a trendsetter, desire to make an impact, wanting accolades and recognition, etc, and/or it can show up as a suspicion of organizations, rejection/suspicion of people who you think threaten some group you associate with, being a cultural critic or conspiracy theorist, acting like a tyrant, being elitist, perpetually feeling like an outsider (no matter how "in" you are), feeling social anxiety (care too much what people think), wanting success at all costs, seeking impressive positions, crafting an image, etc.

You will often see both positive and negative aspects of an instinct in someone when it's their main focus.

Here are some loose examples of how the instincts combine (these are illustrative, not definitive, and not too polished as I just threw them together):

sp + so = people who use social means to establish self-sufficiency....as example of this is people who, say, climb a work ladder to gain more autonomy. Blindspot is forming intimate connections and making personal impact. Lack of sx frustrates sp desire to be self-sufficient because the person doesn't take the needed risks to stand out for fear of repelling people and then losing their secure spot.

so + sp = people who use self-pres related things to connect with the wider world....an example of this is people who, say, turn a hobby/interest into a social group they interact with regularly. Blindspot is forming intimate connections and making personal impact. Lack of sx frustrates the so desire to be a part of something larger because they perpetually feel they are expendable or not connected enough because they won't take the social risk to stand out as an individual for fear of being ostracized. These people tend to be highly critical of social things even as they are intensely interested in them.

sp + sx = people who seek to find a mate in order to meet personal needs & stay independent...seems a contradiction, but an example of this is someone who is focused on intimate connections so as to avoid the hassle of the wider social world, hence protecting their self-focus. Blindspot is connecting socially and being a part of something beyond their own world. The lack of so frustrates the sp instinct because the person often does not form the needed social connections to meet their needs, such as finding satisfying work or an intimate partner.

sx + sp = people who seek to be independent so as to be more attractive....an example of this is seeking to stand out as unusual and not blend with a wider group so you can attract someone suited to you in particular. Blindspot is connecting socially and being a part of something beyond their own world. The lack of so frustrates the sx instinct because the person often does not form the needed social connections to find suitable intimate connections and to be able to leave a personal mark in life.

so + sx = people who seek to be attractive/stand out to gain social status....an example of this is people who are charismatic/seductive/outrageous so they can get attention and secure a spot in an elite group or become a leader. Blindspot is the ability to care for themselves; over rely on others either in a literal physical way or just for identity/self-worth. The lack of sp instinct frustrates the so instinct because the person is often irresponsible, clingy/needy, inconsistent, etc and this interferes with their reputation in a social sphere.

sx + so = people who use social means to boost their personal attractiveness... an example of this is people who achieve stuff to boost themselves in the eyes of potential mates and who want to make a personal but public impact in the wider world. Blindspot is the ability to care for themselves; over rely on others either in a literal physical way or just for identity/self-worth. The lack of sp instinct interferes with their sx instinct because the person is often irresponsible, clingy/needy, inconsistent, etc, and this repels potential partners.

Understanding instincts within a core type is very important also. Each instinct can manifest rather differently in relation to a particular ego fixation.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OrangeAppled said:
The instincts are literal human needs we all have

Can you maybe say something on how you see the difference between the instincts and the types themselves--arguably my biggest question about enneagram? I find that sometimes, (at least some of the) head type portraits seem kind of blotched with sp instinct, and so on.

I struggle between viewing the types as on a higher plane of abstraction (something more like a general prism/philosophy through which the world and its relation to one's motives is viewed -- as opposed to a direct statement of one's motives) and the instincts as closer to visceral needs and a different (maybe more practical) view of the types, which, while maybe not as interesting/what I'm tempted to jump to, may still be what I might as well do.
I mean, on one level you could simply say the types define your "literal human needs" themselves, but then what do the instincts have left to do?
Even if they are separate, are they in some sense lower level than the ego type?

Idunno!! I confess a much higher confidence with Jung stuffs and a kind of nebulous unresolved view of enneagram.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can you maybe say something on how you see the difference between the instincts and the types themselves--arguably my biggest question about enneagram? I find that sometimes, (at least some of the) head type portraits seem kind of blotched with sp instinct, and so on.

Totally agree with that. As a 4, it's hard to NOT identify with the sx instinct because it sounds so 4ish, but not all or even most 4s are sx types.

I suppos this is why some theories consider certain instinctual subtypes to be "counter types", meaning that the way the fixation manifests through the dominant instinct makes the person seem to run almost counter to their core fear. The most noted of these is the sx 6 which is often called "counter phobic".

I struggle between viewing the types as on a higher plane of abstraction (something more like a general prism/philosophy through which the world and its relation to one's motives is viewed -- as opposed to a direct statement of one's motives) and the instincts as closer to visceral needs and a different (maybe more practical) view of the types, which, while maybe not as interesting/what I'm tempted to jump to, may still be what I might as well do.

I still struggle with the same, and really, not every take on instincts is the same. The definitions out there vary. Some are very abstract (ie Naranjo) and others far more literal. I tend to think it's somewhere inbetween, because people can do similar things but from different motivations.

I mean, on one level you could simply say the types define your "literal human needs" themselves, but then what do the instincts have left to do?
Even if they are separate, are they in some sense lower level than the ego type?

The fixations are psychological needs that are based on a personal myth of sorts. A person feels like they must be a certain way because of a distorted view of reality. Whereas the instincts are genuine human needs (but which also get distorted, in part because of the core fixation).

This is easier to illustrate with an example of type.
So let's take the type 2. These people deep down have a belief that there is not enough love in the world. They are unconsciously avoiding addresing a fear that they are unlovable by acting in ways to earn "love" from others. The way in which they do this or the kind of "love" they try to get is colored by their primary instinct.

The sx 2 is focused on love from intimates and feeling loved by validating their own attractiveness. They tend to take a strategy of being seductive and may appear competitive with members of the same sex because they operate from a fear of love scarcity. This contrasts with the more helpful, altruistic image many 2 descriptions portray. I don't know if this considered a counter type, but it's a style mentioned the least for twos and IMO, these are the ones most likely to get mistyped as something else. They may want to appear desirable more than bighearted.

The so 2 is the more often portrayed altruistic two or the "helpful person". They want to earn love on a social level. They want to be recognized as a kind, giving person in the eyes of some group they identify with. They take a strategy of perhaps being or appearing self-sacrificing and generous. In return, they (often unconsciously) seek accolades or at least tons of praise. Tend to be more competitive in the abstract - wanting to be seen as the most loving as opposed to winning specific objects of affection. They may want to be the queen bee (or male equivalent) in their social sphere.

The sp 2 is focused on feeling loved by being taken care of, which is related to literal self-pres needs. They tend to give to get in the most literal/direct way, and so they are the nurturing twos, another subtype that pops up on profiles a lot. They are kind of the motherly stereotype of twos who pamper people because they want to be pampered in return. As a paradox of sorts, they love being babied and can act helpless, but often are keeping score about how much they have done for you and may feel you owe them. They want to be the spoiled child, so they spoil others, but with strings attached.

Idunno!! I confess a much higher confidence with Jung stuffs and a kind of nebulous unresolved view of enneagram.

The instincts are the most nebulous to me also.... But I also tend to think the reality of it all has a ton of variables, so you have to kind of zoom out and squint to see types. If you do that with instincts and core types, then clear subtypes do start to emerge.

I struggle with Jung's types as real personalities because he describes pure types. MBTI tries to bridge the gap, but the dichotomous approach leaves me dead center of the T/F preference. The enneagram 4w5 makes this less of a contradiction.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What have you read this far? We may be able to link you to some websites which explain it well, but I don't want to assume you haven't read them yet.

This is my take on it... The instincts are literal human needs we all have, but we give one a priority, often at the expense of other things, so that it colors our personality. The second instinct is kind of a support to the primary instinct, and it can sometimes show up as the most balanced because of this. The last is a blindspot and it can end up frustrating our primary instinct's needs until we learn to give it proper attention.

Even though the instincts are about literal human needs, the way they manifest in the personality is not so literal, and the hyperfocus on one doesn't mean someone is good at it. An often used example is that those who have the sexual instinct first probably DON'T view sex as just a physical, pleasurable act. The same goes with self-preservation - the focus is not just on being comfortable, secure or healthy.

Self-preservation - Focus is on yourself, of course - physical survival, privacy, autonomy, etc. Can show up as an over-focus on safety/health/comfort/financial security and/or as risk-taking, being a loner or just very independent/self-sufficient, being a bit morbid, being a workaholic, seeking outlets for self-expression, indulging in luxury or being ascetic, etc.

Sexual - Focus is on finding a mate and passing on your genes. Can show up as seeking exhilarating and intimate connections with another person (including being seductive), emphasizing masculine/feminine qualities, seeking highs (ie "climax) and leaving your individual mark and/or as a fear of intimacy, anxiety over attractiveness, difficulty feeling satisfaction (nothing is ever enough), and perhaps extreme pickiness with mating.

Social - Focus is on the community - carving your niche, making alliances, being connected, identifying with something larger than yourself, belonging, etc. These groups can be family, friends, religions, businesses, sports teams, social causes, politics, nationality, race, etc. Anyway that people group/identify themselves socially. It can show up as giving support to a community you are a part of, desire to be a leader or a trendsetter, desire to make an impact, wanting accolades and recognition, etc, and/or it can show up as a suspicion of organizations, rejection/suspicion of people who you think threaten some group you associate with, being a cultural critic or conspiracy theorist, acting like a tyrant, being elitist, perpetually feeling like an outsider (no matter how "in" you are), feeling social anxiety (care too much what people think), wanting success at all costs, seeking impressive positions, crafting an image, etc.

You will often see both positive and negative aspects of an instinct in someone when it's their main focus.

Here are some loose examples of how the instincts combine (these are illustrative, not definitive, and not too polished as I just threw them together):

sp + so = people who use social means to establish self-sufficiency....as example of this is people who, say, climb a work ladder to gain more autonomy. Blindspot is forming intimate connections and making personal impact. Lack of sx frustrates sp desire to be self-sufficient because the person doesn't take the needed risks to stand out for fear of repelling people and then losing their secure spot.

so + sp = people who use self-pres related things to connect with the wider world....an example of this is people who, say, turn a hobby/interest into a social group they interact with regularly. Blindspot is forming intimate connections and making personal impact. Lack of sx frustrates the so desire to be a part of something larger because they perpetually feel they are expendable or not connected enough because they won't take the social risk to stand out as an individual for fear of being ostracized. These people tend to be highly critical of social things even as they are intensely interested in them.

sp + sx = people who seek to find a mate in order to meet personal needs & stay independent...seems a contradiction, but an example of this is someone who is focused on intimate connections so as to avoid the hassle of the wider social world, hence protecting their self-focus. Blindspot is connecting socially and being a part of something beyond their own world. The lack of so frustrates the sp instinct because the person often does not form the needed social connections to meet their needs, such as finding satisfying work or an intimate partner.

sx + sp = people who seek to be independent so as to be more attractive....an example of this is seeking to stand out as unusual and not blend with a wider group so you can attract someone suited to you in particular. Blindspot is connecting socially and being a part of something beyond their own world. The lack of so frustrates the sx instinct because the person often does not form the needed social connections to find suitable intimate connections and to be able to leave a personal mark in life.

so + sx = people who seek to be attractive/stand out to gain social status....an example of this is people who are charismatic/seductive/outrageous so they can get attention and secure a spot in an elite group or become a leader. Blindspot is the ability to care for themselves; over rely on others either in a literal physical way or just for identity/self-worth. The lack of sp instinct frustrates the so instinct because the person is often irresponsible, clingy/needy, inconsistent, etc and this interferes with their reputation in a social sphere.

sx + so = people who use social means to boost their personal attractiveness... an example of this is people who achieve stuff to boost themselves in the eyes of potential mates and who want to make a personal but public impact in the wider world. Blindspot is the ability to care for themselves; over rely on others either in a literal physical way or just for identity/self-worth. The lack of sp instinct interferes with their sx instinct because the person is often irresponsible, clingy/needy, inconsistent, etc, and this repels potential partners.

Understanding instincts within a core type is very important also. Each instinct can manifest rather differently in relation to a particular ego fixation.

I just want to say, I think these descriptions are really awesome. :yes: And I was surprised (in a good way) at just how accurate/fitting the description for so/sp seemed to be for me . The element of turning my personal interests into a search&finding of a larger group with those interests/values probably sums up a lot of my life/ attempts (though usually failings :laugh:). And yeah, blind spots and anxieties too. (Also I agree, sx resonates with 4 quite a bit, as a general rule; however I think so/sp here is spot on for me)

Permabanned

I don't like it, because it all makes sense. Is confirmation bias. Typology is fed. Long live typology

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OrangeAppled said:
The fixations are psychological needs that are based on a personal myth of sorts. A person feels like they must be a certain way because of a distorted view of reality. Whereas the instincts are genuine human needs

That seems like a very good take, yeah; it's a little similar to my first of two characterizations, where the types are more like prisms through which the world's relation to one's motives is rationalized, vs less rationalized, more visceral needs.
I guess now I think of it, your way of phrasing this helped underscore that a rationalized worldview (vs a more visceral set of urges/needs) doesn't need to necessarily be abstract, because what ultimately makes these go from visceral urges to repetitive motivational patterns is they turn into complexes, which requires some degree of rationalization/feeling justified that one basically has to address the visceral need a certain way, rather than another.

The instincts are the most nebulous to me also

To be honest, fully agree, I don't quite understand why these are exhaustive or even the primary components of our "literal human needs". What about something simple like desire to feel valued? Why should that be relegated to the types? After all, maybe we could use your/my characterization and say the types should address the question of how the world does/doesn't seem to meet our need for feeling valued, and how we thus react to that.

To put it crudely, there's 2 really visceral things I can think of: physical pain and emotional pain. The former could include physical torture, the latter various kinds of humiliation or violations of ability to fulfill one's desires another way.

I struggle with Jung's types as real personalities because he describes pure types

I guess I just extrapolated to what ST, SF, NF, NT should look like, and in a way that is as independent of MBTI as possible, because honestly the simple problem is MBTI (the test at least) just doesn't define N, T, F, S the same way. They're no doubt similar, but not quite the same.

But basically I guess the question is, on T-F, why it's a dichotomy at all in Jung's sense. I think N-S in his sense is easy to envision as a psychological opposition, but feeling/thinking, when it's NOT construed as emotion and logic, is another story: while value-judgment may be different from T-judgment, why is it psychologically the opposite (however one defines T-judgment)?
I don't find MBTI makes this clear, and I have my ideas as you could probably tell, but this is the area I'm quite curious to hear thoughts on (especially from someone who identifies as F-dominant, since the polarity should be largest there!)

For me, personally, I guess I'm just generally a gentle, harmless individual, but who mostly keeps leaping from perspective to perspective playfully and rarely has definite value judgments, so my value life is more dry and arid, so to speak. I adopt a strong no-unnecessary-harm policy, and mostly for other things, I suppose I can understand how one idea has more potential than another, and that requires some value judgment (still, I feel somewhat subordinated to T)....but there's a sense in which I think F types have a less arid value judgment life.

Secret Squirrel

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Hey, these were really good descriptions by the way! And after a lot of self-reflection, I think I did figure out my stacking actually. I am almost positive I am sp/sx. Is this common for 5w6s by any chance? And thanks.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey, these were really good descriptions by the way! And after a lot of self-reflection, I think I did figure out my stacking actually. I am almost positive I am sp/sx. Is this common for 5w6s by any chance? And thanks.
I don't know the stacking distribution among type 5, but sp/sx reinforces the base 5 tendencies more than the other stackings. I see we have these factors in common.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Secret Squirrel said:
Is this common for 5w6s by any chance?

Honestly, the 5 descriptions at default sound sp-ish more than any of the other instincts. It's kinda like the so-3 sounds the easiest to envision, the sp 3 harder. Part of this is because, as OrangeAppled and I kinda discussed above, there's some debate on what precisely constitutes type-stuff and instincts-stuff.

One can't deny that the head types being anxiety types might sound like they're sp-ish. For instance, 6 is supposed to have a security theme, and that goes really obviously with some sp drives.
On the other hand, it's not all that hard once you get used to it to envision say, a so-6, which may be sensitive to the power-relations suggested by social constructs. In fact, some of the 6s most concerned with issues of authority seem to be what I'd personally interpret as so-6s.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Instinctual stackings are bae! Seriously the most low key mind blowing aspect of typology imo

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know I'm SX dom, but I fit elements of both SP and SO as supporting. Even got 50/50 once. My type 3 causes confusion... how would one even discern type 3 with SO instinct? Wouldn't being type 3 equate to an SO instinct, anyway?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That seems like a very good take, yeah; it's a little similar to my first of two characterizations, where the types are more like prisms through which the world's relation to one's motives is rationalized, vs less rationalized, more visceral needs.
I guess now I think of it, your way of phrasing this helped underscore that a rationalized worldview (vs a more visceral set of urges/needs) doesn't need to necessarily be abstract, because what ultimately makes these go from visceral urges to repetitive motivational patterns is they turn into complexes, which requires some degree of rationalization/feeling justified that one basically has to address the visceral need a certain way, rather than another.

Yes... and prism a great word for it... I often use the word lens, but prism implies a distortion.

To be honest, fully agree, I don't quite understand why these are exhaustive or even the primary components of our "literal human needs". What about something simple like desire to feel valued? Why should that be relegated to the types? After all, maybe we could use your/my characterization and say the types should address the question of how the world does/doesn't seem to meet our need for feeling valued, and how we thus react to that.

If I understand you correctly....the instincts are not exhaustive, but they are more literal/basic than the core type's fixation. An example is color....red, blue and yellow are not the full color spectrum for pigment, but they are the 3 primary colors to form the infinite amount of colors.

Also, yes, there is overlap with core types and fixations, such as the enneagram 3 fixation and the social instinct.

And yes, most people have a need to feel valued, regardless of enneatype, and everyone may encounter feelings of not being valued at times. All of the enneagram fixations are connected to legit human motivations, but the idea of a fixation is being, well, fixated on a particular one. The idea of integration is about bringing balance.

So wanting to be valued is not a fixation that colors every persons entire perspective and personality, and it doesn't necessarily stem from a distorted belief about reality to begin with. A person is a 3 type not when they have a desire to feel valued, but when it's a fixation and stemming from a sense of shame and idea that they are inherently worthless unless they achieve something.

Often, IMO, when something's a fixation, a person may find it hard to spot within themselves as they see through the fixation. It's their lens (or prism!) for reality, not a mere trait. This often means their enneagram passion shows up a lot more complex and abstract and generalized than the typical manifestation in everyone else. An example of this is 4 envy as a result of that need to feel significant. Many 4s don't relate to a literal, conscious envy of specific people where they feel jealous and begrudging towards someone who has something they want. Instead, they feel a perpetual longing and sense of emptiness and see other people in general as being fulfilled. I would say that a very obvious, competitive envy focused on specific people may even indicate someone is not a 4, just as a very obvious avarice is probably not an enneagram 5, but maybe the hedonistic 7 or lustful 8. The 5's avarice shows up in the way they relate emotionally to reality - they have a sense of scarcity, especially in their own emotional resources and energy.

To put it crudely, there are 2 really visceral things I can think of: physical pain and emotional pain. The former could include physical torture, the latter various kinds of humiliation or violations of ability to fulfill one's desires another way.

Instead of avoiding pain, the instincts tend to focus on the ways we meet basic needs. As far as NOT being the primary components of human needs... what alternatives would you suggest?
The core types address more specific fixations, which includes avoidance of various kinds of pain.

I guess I just extrapolated to what ST, SF, NF, NT should look like, and in a way that is as independent of MBTI as possible, because honestly the simple problem is MBTI (the test at least) just doesn't define N, T, F, S the same way. They're no doubt similar, but not quite the same.

But basically I guess the question is, on T-F, why it's a dichotomy at all in Jung's sense. I think N-S in his sense is easy to envision as a psychological opposition, but feeling/thinking, when it's NOT construed as emotion and logic, is another story: while value-judgment may be different from T-judgment, why is it psychologically the opposite (however one defines T-judgment)?
I don't find MBTI makes this clear, and I have my ideas as you could probably tell, but this is the area I'm quite curious to hear thoughts on (especially from someone who identifies as F-dominant, since the polarity should be largest there!)

For me, personally, I guess I'm just generally a gentle, harmless individual, but who mostly keeps leaping from perspective to perspective playfully and rarely has definite value judgments, so my value life is more dry and arid, so to speak. I adopt a strong no-unnecessary-harm policy, and mostly for other things, I suppose I can understand how one idea has more potential than another, and that requires some value judgment (still, I feel somewhat subordinated to T)....but there's a sense in which I think F types have a less arid value judgment life.

In my understanding, Jung doesn't make T/F dichotomous. He really makes Je (extroverted judging) and Ji (introverted judging) dichotomous. Te is dichotomous with Fi and Fe with Ti, but Te and Fe are not dichotomous and Ti and Fi are not, as evidenced by how he groups Te & Fe as extroverted rationals and Ti and Fi as introverted rationals. Arguably, he does this with Pe and Pi also, but MBTI translated the S/N dichotomy in a clearer way, IMO. It is hard to mentally focus on sensory info at face value at the same time as focusing on ideas emerging. One gets ignored in favor of the other.

I suspect thinking and feeling gets reduced to logic vs emotion because it's easier to make it dichotomous that way. The problem is that feeling is not emotion nor even necessarily illogical (perhaps alogical, or existing outside the realm of logic). You could call it technical vs value classification and it would be more accurate, but it's hard to define those as dichotomous either when their processes may not look so dissimilar, especially when they have the same I/E attitude. The similarity in process is also what causes confusion for S/N in people too though....Pe is more exploratory and Pi is more focused, and that can cause Se types to mistype as Ne types when sensing is given a too conservative portrait.

Well, I am just kind of rambling now.... In short, in MBTI Feeling often sounds like Fe and Thinking like Te and that puts off all P types who identify with Ji, of course. And as Jung notes, Ji doesn't look like our typical ideas of feeling or thinking (and why the MBTI judging label is a misnomer for the introverted rationals and why introverts get classed P/J according to their extroverted function).

Personally, I don't experience my "feeling" preferences as dichotomous with thinking or with Ti, but I may experience it that way with Te. To understand how, you can't define Te simply as pragmatic logic and Fi as personal values. Instead, Te is a mentality geared towards making decisions and setting standards in order to accomplish goals. Fi is a mentality geared towards figuring out what is meaningful and beneficial to the human experience using their internal experience as a gauge. You can't introspect at length on what things mean and what their value is and make decisions to accomplish goals at the same time. If you are inclined heavily towards one, that can lead to neglecting the other. The blindspot of Te is making decisions or accomplishing goals at the expense of what it may mean personally for themselves, what higher value it holds. They can become mechanical. The blindspot of Fi is figuring out what things mean to them personally and what ultimate value they have for the human experience, but in order to do so, they put off making decisions and accomplishing tasks, thus not necessarily accomplishing the meaningful things they value.

GavinElster

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OrangeAppled said:
Instead of avoiding pain, the instincts tend to focus on the ways we meet basic needs

This idea (as I've already mentioned), I'm really fond of. It's terrific, because the idea that the passions have something to do with 3 different centers/imbalances suggests strongly that the ego forms around how we respond to the way the world meets/doesn't meet our needs and even how we perceive our needs.
The basic needs might be fundamental/legitimate things, but the beliefs one forms about those needs are where rationalizations come in (and thus where talking of centers is relevant), and also where much of the pleasure-pain dynamic is set up.

I might have no clue what my enneatype is/be totally unconvinced about it, but I think this idea will help me reformulate a lot of things in acceptable terms. My idea was still reasonable/similar to yours, but it's a little vaguer than this way of putting it. The idea that there's no inherent pain associated to the basic human needs, but that the formation of an ego around them leads to that pain sounds like the right idea.

OrangeAppled said:
. An example is color....red, blue and yellow are not the full color spectrum for pigment,
As far as NOT being the primary components of human needs
The core types address more specific fixations, which includes avoidance of various kinds of pain.

Yeah, so that's the thing -- are they the primary components as commonly presented.

Before I commence with that, a comment on the underlined: you're most certainly right that it's good to separate responding to pain from basic human needs, but basically, I think the obvious source of pain is just being denied a certain basic need! If the types seem to add something to that, it seems to just be different ways you can respond to those threats. The actual types of pain would seem to be directly mapped onto being denied the different types of needs! The ego types might include both how to respond IF they get denied to you + also why you might distort the degree to which they are under threat in the first place.

Now on to comments on the actual instincts/about if they're good candidates for "fundamental" needs: well here's one starting point. If self-preservation really does involve a basic preservation of one's sense of wellness/survival, I'd have to worry it encompasses everything about the instincts, as after all, isn't that the point -- instincts are about our basic needs!! If we don't have our basic needs met, from one definition it would contradict our self preservation!
Of course, one could say no no, those instincts are really not basic *needs*, don't take it literally, they're just basic *desires*/drives! So sp is really about what we need strictly for survival. But in that case, sp is again a funny concept maybe because it seems to me basic desires/basic needs sets us up so that if someone has the basic survival needs met, they'll move on to the desires regardless of personality!

Now don't get me wrong: we can still recognize in life the subtypes Naranjo etc posit. But it seems to me they're not really about basic needs so much as different colorful varieties of the core characters that are recognizable to us and plausible ways the ideas of sp/so/sx COULD combine with the ideas of the enneatypes. That's really my worry-- that the subtypes are recognizable, but aren't clear about what the core basic drives really are.
I struggle with this, because I think Naranjo's portraits of subtypes/types both combine to give a lot of vivid insight, but I guess I'm a little biased to having a nice, canonical underlying framework motivating everything.

In fact, maybe in a way, some presentations really tell us the basic driving forces of people are found in the types (this would be a more concrete view of the types), and the only thing that makes them types, not just basic drives, is that one develops a complex about lacking their fulfillment. Like you could say positive stimulation, accomplishment, being liked, and so on are all pretty basic drives one might have. They maybe aren't NEEDS like food/shelter, but finding a mate or finding attraction/chemistry with an idea or social status/community isn't a NEED either by that definition.
But basically they get turned into neurotic "needs" (could read basic desires) if you get obsessed with their fulfillment in a particularly fanatical way.
This concrete view would say that what makes a type a type isn't this cool view where you rationalize the way you can/can't get your basic instinctual needs fulflilled using these 3 centers/figure out how you're gonna respond to the situation based on them, but instead, that a type is nothing more than when you feel threatened about a need -- no interesting stuff about how you rationalize that threat, just the fact that it exists at all in your mind.

So yeah it's a little weird a situation to me.
I really like/want to build this conceptual edifice where the types tell us about how we respond to potential or actual threats to the fulfillment to basic needs (in the instincts), but I guess I wonder whether basic needs and/or wants aren't already suggested by most concrete, less philosophical presentations of the types, and if all the types amount to is a certain extra neurotic fixation on their fulfillment/not. Sometimes it's unclear to me if the instincts really are presented as any more plausibly a source of basic needs than the (concrete versions of) types, however much I think it's a cooler idea if we can separate them out like that.

In fact, sometimes it's unclear if there's a clear subtype/type system, and if there's just an eclectic body of things describing motivational patterns and they're smashed together in various ways ...OK it's a little better than that, but you get the drift.

OrangeAppled said:
In my understanding, Jung doesn't make T/F dichotomous. He really makes Je (extroverted judging) and Ji (introverted judging) dichotomous.

How I've read Jung (and I've read some of your posts around before joining here, so I know you know more stuff about him than most :) but I'm probably equally crazy about this stuff), it's basically that there really weren't 8 function-attitudes to him as the basic units of type, more like 4 functions, 2 attitudes, and the idea that Te/Fi and Se/Ni and Ne/Si and so on are the main oppositions rather than a corollary of other more basic ones seems to me to be more of a modern interpretation! In fact, it seems strongly like to him, an introverted thinking type is just someone for whom introversion predominates over extraversion and thinking over the other three functions.
There seem to me to be two clear dichotomies among the four functions established! Feeling/thinking and intuition/sensation -- e.g. CW:
Jung said:
Sensation...rules out any simultaneous intuitive activity, since the latter is not concerned with the present....In the same way, thinking is opposed to feeling, because thinking should not be influenced or deflected from its purpose by feeling values
. That seems a VERY DIRECT statement of a T-F (rather than Te-Fi or Ti-Fe) dichotomy! And my question is basically how do you feel thinking is OPPOSED TO feeling, not just different from (yes we can say technical characterization is *different from* value judgment, but opposed to? my best shot is take Hume's is/ought dichotomy and try to view it psychologically, not just philosophically)

It seems to me that, while it's true say the chief repression of a introverted thinking type falls on extraverted feeling, for Jung this was more a corollary of the separate oppositions of thinking-feeling and introversion-extraversion than a statement that things like Ti vs Fe and Fi vs Te are more fundamental than F vs T and i vs e! There were four functions to him, while to modern sources there are really eight for all practical purposes

Now, I'm with you if you think the modern systems add some interesting complexity by making all these axes Te/Fi Se/Ni etc the main deal....obviously the way I'm typing myself IS by such a modern framework, but basically, my approach is to stay faithful to Jung except to add this extra complexity/a few other modifications/spins on his stuff. But basically, Jung's approach seemed strikingly similar to a 4 dichotomies approach: irrational/rational, introversion/extraversion, feeling/thinking, sensation/intuition determines your type.....in fact, the fact that people commonly assert Jung believed in stuff like NiTi>FeSe types (Nietzsche is typed this in Ch. 3 of Psychological Types...well ok, nitpicking, the first two in PT, the inferior feeling/sensation definitely made explicit in the Zarathustra seminar), is a straightforward corollary, because for him, NiTi means nothing *more* than having intuition>sensation, thinking/feeling, and introversion>extraversion.

On the other hand, it is true that there were some peculiarities of each of 4 functions in the 2 attitudes that he noted, so he did get to the concept of a holistic idea such as "introverted-sensation" or "introverted-intuition," just it seems to me based on the closest reading I can give that he really did view these more as offshoots of ideas about the 2 basic function-axes and 1 attitude-axis than as fundamental.

I am just kind of rambling now

That's all I ever do!

perhaps alogical, or existing outside the realm of logic

Yeah, I think of it as having a component that is a-logical but which can be informed by logic, just not reduced to it. It's not contrary to logic of course. I think the real thing that characterizes the feeling function is that our feelings aren't just dumb physical reactions so much as things which adapt and adjust constantly to new ideas.
I think when people ask why humanity has progressed in assigning worth more equally to different kinds of people, it's because our abstract reasoning faculties interact with our subjective reactions -- they're not just concrete, immediate things.
But I do think the reactions are relevant -- I think the faculty that enables us to judge if the reactions are appropriate is subtle, because it involves being able to modify our responses based on reasons...yet in a purely detached sense, NO logical reason EVER could purely be sufficient to modify one's feeling reaction, one must actually feel the new reaction ultimately.... The fact that our feelings involve a cognitive, reason-adjustable component is the main deal I think.

In this sense, I tend to view the idea that feeling judgment doesn't involve actual feelings as pretty much wrong. But it's not "lower order" feelings like liking oranges.

Last edited: