• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Insidious

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Insidious_poster.jpg

Not the best... Very silly, predictable, and you feel a little childish watching it.
In fairness to the movie, if you're a baby like me, there will be lots of jumps and scares, so it does what i'ts supposed to do.
The plot however, is so outlandish, that even for a horror, it borders on laughable. They tried too hard and put too much into the movie. Subtlety could've gone a long way here.

I'll admit, I was caught off guard a few times. There was jumping and screeching; in that sense, it's great to watch with equally timid and shamelessly-weak friends.

Do you agree that it's ridiculous?

Also

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
The plot wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I already have something against the dark and dreams so this movie really messed with me.

The dream world was... silly. It was really cartoonish and juvenile, which is fine considering that the issue revolved around a child. What bothered me the most was how the father tied into the plot. I agree that they put too much into the movie. I felt like I couldn't follow or pay attention at times, which made the jumps and pop ups scarier than they actually were.

Insidious Chapter 2 is a gem. So many funny moments in the sequel.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
The plot wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I already have something against the dark and dreams so this movie really messed with me.

The dream world was... silly. It was really cartoonish and juvenile, which is fine considering that the issue revolved around a child. What bothered me the most was how the father tied into the plot. I agree that they put too much into the movie. I felt like I couldn't follow or pay attention at times, which made the jumps and pop ups scarier than they actually were.

Insidious Chapter 2 is a gem. So many funny moments in the sequel.

I actually really liked insidious 2 in comparison. I know a lot of people didn't, but I found it more subtle, and at least it gave the characters a story and richness to the plot! I definitely enjoyed the second one! :laugh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I enjoyed the first one much better. The second one felt like a letdown, emotionally, it just kind of meandered about conventionally, to the degree that I can't even remember much of the plot anymore.

There have been better movies than Insidious, certainly. But it has a few things going for it:

- The few jumpscares / creepout moments were pretty effective and unsettling... Even when I know they're coming, they get under my skin.

- Lin Shaye. She's just really good, in both movies.

- The two sidekicks were SUPPOSED to be comic relief. (One of them is Leigh Whannell, btw -- writer of both movies. He's not a great actor, though. He also wrote Saw and was one of the two guys in the basement room -- the guy who wasn't Cary Elwes.)

- finally, a haunted house movie where the family realizes that they don't like living in the house and actually MOVE. Congratulations. Not that it works out for them. But FINALLY, some common sense.

The mist part of the dreamworld was okay. But I didn't like the baddie's chamber of horrors, it felt like the least effective part of the movie. Insidious did feel a little less polished than Sinister, but the parts that worked seemed effective. And lord knows, about 92% of the horror movies ever made are total crap... so the movie already sticks out a bit.