• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In healing is forgiveness or understanding more important?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” Gandhi

“Instead of the weak, if say the unhealed. I’d further say that letting go is the sign of one who has forgiven themself.

Further that a person has a new concept of themselves and have evolved beyond past traumas and wrongs.” LightSun

“To understand everything is to forgive everything.” Buddha

I’d say, to understand everything is to let it go.” It’s not to blame ourselves or have any negative feelings of our own self worth but rather we have healed enough that we can let it go. We have evolved past our pain.

There has to be a different word than forgive. My dad had explosive personality disorder. I don’t forgive him. Most of my life I couldn’t say this but I now have healed to the point where I love him despite himself.

I have peace in my heart. I love dad despite his actions. I don’t forgive rather I understand and with that because I have healed I am healthy enough to love him despite his actions of which I don’t forgive. I don’t judge. As I understand his dynamics.

What is the difference between judging and understanding?

If we don’t understand, we judge. If we understand we don’t judge. Usually judging with subjective negative labels, use of pejoratives and name calling illustrates in the dictionary sense ignorance.

That is why I don’t forgive Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler, and serial killers. I hold them accountable. To forgive would be to condone. I understand that their actions are a result of factors in their genetics and upbringing.

To judge them accomplishes nothing. Moreover it shows our own lack of understanding. To judge is easy. To understand is hard. I would say forgiving your self and not blaming yourself is apt.” LightSun