• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If You Could?

Mole

Permabanned
Maybe it has to do with the fact that this forum is dominated by Americans, and yet you are constantly posting here. Perhaps you would pick up less American habits if you spent less time on the internet surrounded by Americans.

Well, our whole Continent, and our half of the Continent of Antarctica, is surrounded by Americans. And since a single German raider cut off all trade to Oz in WW I, we have allied ourselves closely with whoever controls the oceans around Oz. And with almost a dozen American Carrier battle fleets patrolling our oceans, we ally ourselves with the Americans.

This leaves us in an interesting situation: although we depend on the American Carrier battle fleets for our Defence, we naturally like to keep our psychological independence. So far we are not doing too badly, and of course distance in time and space are a great help, and analysing the American psyche also helps.

And perhaps a measure of our psychological success is that we take our identity for granted.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The future, by like 200 years. I want to see what happens after I'll be dead. I want to be aware of any spoilers coming up. It's scarier, but more interesting.

Mole

Permabanned
The future, by like 200 years. I want to see what happens after I'll be dead. I want to be aware of any spoilers coming up.

By increasing your speed relative to Earth you can in reality move into the future by 200 years.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
By increasing your speed relative to Earth you can in reality move into the future by 200 years.

Perhaps, if we've invented any forum of travel that could move fast enough for relativity to play a significant role like that. But then again, I'm not an expert on relativity.

Riven

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
7w6
Past, to the mid-late 2000s to experience the pop culture, music and fashion as a young adult and while it's fresh and available (I'm looking at you, YT user/copyright takedowns :mad:).

Cowardly

deactivated
So not only do we follow the manners and mores of the Americans, we are phonies just like the Americans. Each one of us has a phoney avatar, mine is Mole. I like to kid myself my phoney avatar is harmless, and it is true my phoney avatar doesn't hurt me physically, but my phoney avatar does hurt me psychologically.

Why is your avatar phony? Why is my avatar phony? Would you show me an image that would make a non-phony avatar?

Mole

Permabanned
Why is your avatar phony? Why is my avatar phony? Would you show me an image that would make a non-phony avatar?

Rather than flying under the false colours of an avatar, we could fly under our own colours: our name, our address, and our phone number.

Unfortunately this would mean our fantasies could be checked against reality, and it would mean we would have to take responsibility for our own psyche and our own reputation.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
[MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION], again you are suggesting something patently unwise & potentially unsafe in a thread I have made. Grrrrrrr :tongue::doh:

Internet 101: Do not give out personal information readily.

Regardless of the potential benefits to the psyche, it simply isn't wise. Young ones use this forum & I know protecting youth is something close to your heart.

belgianvalid

Past. I'd like to see how King Henry VIII looked like, he had 8 wives.. he must be really gorgeous during his time..

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We are all travelling into the future, and according to Relativity, how fast we travel into the future depends on our velocity, the faster we move, the faster we travel into the future.

Fortunately entropy stops us from travelling into the past and so we avoid the paradoxes of travelling into the past.

So travelling into the past is a fantasy, and our fantasy tells us more about ourselves than about the past.

And interestingly our desire for fantasy tells us a lot about ourselves. The fantasy of astrology tells us about ourselves, the fantasy of mbti tells us about ourselves, and our intimate fantasies tells us about ourselves. Unfortunately we fantasise to avoid reality, so we don't really want to learn about ourselves.

So not only do we follow the manners and mores of the Americans, we are phonies just like the Americans. Each one of us has a phoney avatar, mine is Mole. I like to kid myself my phoney avatar is harmless, and it is true my phoney avatar doesn't hurt me physically, but my phoney avatar does hurt me psychologically.

So the question is: how can I emancipate myself from the American manners and mores?

this bring us into the interesting paradox. if we go into the future we cannot come back.

future travel is impossible as well. we would have to speed up the entire cause and affect of the entire universe. life really is nothing more then cause and affect. even our individual choices are based on the past. we can all be whittled down to the smallest element interactions. time is man made though, the only way to time travel is increased cause and effect which can only be done on a granular level, not over the entirety of what exists. its no different then speeding up reactions. that is time travel.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Maybe it has to do with the fact that this forum is dominated by Americans, and yet you are constantly posting here. Perhaps you would pick up less American habits if you spent less time on the internet surrounded by Americans.

No, the answer is to do exactly as Legion says.

For Legion represents the people of Australia.

Legion does not represent the Police of Australia, however, nor the government or Mental Health Institutions.

Legion represents the common man and the unusual man. Legion does not represent the authoritative man.

Legion also represents the woman and the child, who shall be termed under the banner of man, for we are all one mankind.

The man who is the adult male man shall be termed the dude.

So shall the women.

This is decreed under the authority of Queen Elizabeth II who has signed the declaration of independence of the Commonwealth of Australia.

The Australian National Anthem, for the under-represented common man is the song The Anthem, by the legendary Australian icons, Virgin Black.

It is a song of tragedy and remorse, but also of strength and reproach in the face of overwhelming struggle, brought about through the corruption of false authoritative structures. This represents the Australian Spirit, for we are a people who have much darkness in our heart, and much strength in our lungs. Our spirit knows no bounds, and our humour is phenomenal. You don't even know, and you shall NEVER know, for we are one and we are many.

:orate:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
100 years in future, pure curiosity.

creation of man

Mole

Permabanned
[MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION], again you are suggesting something patently unwise & potentially unsafe in a thread I have made. Grrrrrrr :tongue::doh:

Internet 101: Do not give out personal information readily.

Regardless of the potential benefits to the psyche, it simply isn't wise. Young ones use this forum & I know protecting youth is something close to your heart.

Good to hear from you Cloudpatrol.

And you are right, and I hide my address, phone number, and even my birthday, and revealing them could put me at some risk.

And my safety does come at some cost. And the cost is openness and transparency, and the cost is psychological.

The psychological cost is my authenticity, the social acceptance of my false self, and the encouragement of my neurosis.

Interestingly there is no way of addressing my neurosis under mbti.

So in that sense mbti is a psychological mutual protection society in which we all collude.

Mole

Permabanned
this bring us into the interesting paradox. if we go into the future we cannot come back.

future travel is impossible as well. we would have to speed up the entire cause and affect of the entire universe. life really is nothing more then cause and affect. even our individual choices are based on the past. we can all be whittled down to the smallest element interactions. time is man made though, the only way to time travel is increased cause and effect which can only be done on a granular level, not over the entirety of what exists. its no different then speeding up reactions. that is time travel.

Travel into the future is a fact of Relativity, and our travel into the future depends on our relative velocity or our relative gravity field.

Satellites use the equations of Relativity to correct for travel into the future.

If we move at high speed away from the Earth, we may move 200 years into the future, and when we return to Earth everything will be 200 years older.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I would like to go to past, especially 20s if I could meet the art-literature society, basically I'm twisted in the same way as Woody Allen Paris movie character ;)

The first landing on the Moon is also something I would like to see.

Or meeting Homo erectus, seeing the difference.

I never dreamt really to go past to events from my life or lives of my relatives. I see their lives through their stories. And my life... I've seen my past already. There are things I wish I have done differently, but I don't think I would change anything now.

The only case that would make me prefer visiting future is far future. Seeing what will happen with our civilisation. Will we find other land to live, will we invent what my mind won't be able to comprehend, what will be the end of universe, will be there other species more advanced than ours?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
both? :unsure:

there's so many things that I want to see and experience that I always feel that I'm cheated by only living one life as one person...

I'd love to see how the universe began, watch how the Mediterranean sea broke through at the straits of Gibraltar in a giant waterfall and see one of those life (for the globe in general) explosions like that at Yellowstone... I'd also love to see the earliest human civilizations and figure out how they thought and see the primeval forests and the Appalachians when they were a magnificently tall mountain range

but I'd also like to see how everything ends, the earth, humanity and the universe... and meeting aliens and seeing the worlds that they live on is really tempting as well and see how the continents have rearranged in the far future

if actually given that option I'd probably never get to go anywhere because I'd spend too much time trying to decide :doh:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

What if time flows "in reverse" though? Assuming we think of it as moving along a straight line, although I think that's a silly way to look at time, but you get my point, right? would we even be aware we were moving in a different direction in time? I'm not a theorist so forgive me if I sound uneducated here, but we'd be experiencing effect before cause, but would we be able to even perceive it that way or still think we were moving the "right" direction through time?

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
The past, since the future is constantly happening and the past is a static thing:

Never got to meet my paternal or maternal grandparents. Would love to do that.

I would like to be around in the few decades after the industrial evolution. For me still the most important paradigm shift in human history, the world was really a ball of clay at that time, that would be eventually be moulded by ambitious families and brilliant individuals, and ruthless nations. Perfect time to start a Bank;)

Bell labs in the 1940s and 50s.

Chicago in the 20s and 30s. I'm fascinated by organised crime and it would be interesting to see a city function with an open, overt criminal element alongside government.

New York specifically the upper west and harlem between the 1940s and 60s. For the emergence of Jazz and to be around my favourite artist ever Thelonious Monk.

I Would like to have been around during the space race, especially with the Soviet Union, since their progress was so mysterious to the public eye.

Japan when is it was governed by Samurai's.

Ancient China for first hand teachings of Taoism.

60s for the emergence of Motown. This obviously happened in Detroit which I think is/was a beautiful city despite the problems.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Good to hear from you Cloudpatrol.

And you are right, and I hide my address, phone number, and even my birthday, and revealing them could put me at some risk.

And my safety does come at some cost. And the cost is openness and transparency, and the cost is psychological.

The psychological cost is my authenticity, the social acceptance of my false self, and the encouragement of my neurosis.

Interestingly there is no way of addressing my neurosis under mbti.

So in that sense mbti is a psychological mutual protection society in which we all collude.

Nice to hear from you too Mole. Those are good questions or issues of discovery you are asking of yourself. I wish you the best with unravelling them (smile).