• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't lose weight, no natter what I do.

Lark

I have tried intermittent fasting now for a bit, fasting between 8.00 and 12.00/1.00 the following day, its the only thing which has resulted in weight loss for me, although its really hard to stick to.

More than diets of this or that particular food stuff, more than actual exercise, more than a straight forward calorie deficit (however you get your calories, ie fats, carbs, vegetables, fruit) its the stretch between eating and the longer you can make it that makes the difference. The reasons this works are all scientific, to do with insulin, ketosis, autophygia, but its difficult to keep doing. At least I have found it to be.

Its got to do with digestion and metabolism, which does differ one person to the next, also got to do with the mind and mood. If you're depressed (and most depression is a twinning of low mood and anxiety, like anxiety is not a whole other thing like they used to diagnose it) it will change your metabolism too.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have tried intermittent fasting now for a bit, fasting between 8.00 and 12.00/1.00 the following day, its the only thing which has resulted in weight loss for me, although its really hard to stick to.

More than diets of this or that particular food stuff, more than actual exercise, more than a straight forward calorie deficit (however you get your calories, ie fats, carbs, vegetables, fruit) its the stretch between eating and the longer you can make it that makes the difference. The reasons this works are all scientific, to do with insulin, ketosis, autophygia, but its difficult to keep doing. At least I have found it to be.

Its got to do with digestion and metabolism, which does differ one person to the next, also got to do with the mind and mood. If you're depressed (and most depression is a twinning of low mood and anxiety, like anxiety is not a whole other thing like they used to diagnose it) it will change your metabolism too.

8PM and noon/1PM?

Lark

8PM and noon/1PM?

Yeah. One night to lunch time the following day.

I will be honest that I do not eat a lot at lunch times, pickles, coleslaw, pieces of chicken sometimes, lettuce at other times with mayo or hot sauce.

And I drink a lot of coffee, water, diet sodas. Nothing else.

Dont eat a lot of bread or potatoes.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Meal planning and working a physically intensive job has helped a lot.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think we're just turning your thread into a generic weight loss thread, oop.

I've been losing weight the past couple months, and here are some of my thoughts.

-Condiments: I have some yum yum sauce in the fridge and I've been using that, and when I look at the nutrition label I thought it might have been too fattening after all(about 140 for 2 tablespoons). But, two tablespoons is more generous than it sounds. Your sushi will start swimming again. I can use a tablespoon or less and I'll be fine. Sometimes I use this avocado mayo on my burgers, it's 45 calories a serving and it's pretty good. I pull out a tablespoon so I'm measuring them accurately every time. I do avoid ketchup though cause of the sugar. For the most part though, I use hot sauce on my food or Hidden Valley ranch powder since no calories.

-Snacks: I really like cocoa dusted almonds, good for you and they taste sweet enough despite only having 1 gram of sugar. Pistachio pouches work good too. If I do want dessert, I go for popsicles-I love coconut ones. I think Outshine will have some? These are store brand ones I've been eating. There's also Outshine fruit bars that have 30 calories and no sugar in them. The ranch stuff goes good on popcorn, I also put nutritional yeast and/or dill on popcorn.

-Drinks: I've started to like oat milk, it's lower in calorie and sugar than cow's milk or almond. I usually have it in granola or for the liquid in my smoothies. This probably won't apply to you since I know you're not a big Dunkin fan, but I think it's a good outlook. Dunkin, I like to get oat milk lattes and iced tea with coconut milk. The oat milk latte, the oat milk has just enough sweetness in it to cut the bitterness of the coffee but it's not that sweet either. You can also get a coconut milk latte, but I didn't like that one as much even though I like coconut milk in my iced tea. And of course, you can get all those sugar free flavor shots in there. At home, I drink homemade creamer-all it is is powdered creamer diluted with water and then mixed with Splenda and an extract of your choice. It's fun trying all sorts of different extracts, and you can buy flavored coffee too.

-Carbs: I still have pasta sometimes, but I do try to avoid a lot of carbs. There is bread that is 50 calories a slice that I use for sandwiches and toast, but if I want like a veggie burger I don't even need the bread, I just eat the patty by itself. Wine is basically carbs-I drink about once a week, just one glass. Cauliflower mac and cheese is something we have a lot, as well as quinoa grain wise.

MyFitnessPal allots me 1750 calories a day, but usually I get around 1400. I'm wondering if I overestimated the calories when I set it up-I work an active job yes, but it's a part time active job. I try to spend 80% of my day on my feet, it's not so bad. If it can be done on my feet, I do it.

How's the snake going?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Walk daily. At least 30 minutes.

Drink an assload of water. Cut back on sodium to avoid retention of water weight. Watermaxxing works wonders.

Cut out beer and dark liquors. Stick to stuff like vodka if you want to drink, but always drink plenty of water between alcoholic beverages

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How's the snake going?

I don't mind, it isn't like people are actually reading the beginning of the thread anymore lol.

I actually decided not to do the several day fasting (snake diet). Just sticking to keto has kept me well below my caloric intake. Though I get frustrated when MFP tells me I am starving myself when I ate full 3 meals that day. Hey, do you wanna be friends on MFP? You can DM if you do.

Also, condiments you should avoid entirely if you can help it. Use vinegarettes if you can (there are organic ones that are sugarless/no artificial sweeteners that are good), or learn to make your own healthier versions of stuff. Sugar is carbs, and they have it separated from the actual carbs so it looks healthier.

Another thing I keep telling people, is sugar actually coats your taste buds so you can't taste things well. Similar to how smoking affects your sense of taste. If you cut out sugar completely, you will find things a lot more sweeter in a week. Especially veggies.

yeghor

I don't mind, it isn't like people are actually reading the beginning of the thread anymore lol.

I actually decided not to do the several day fasting (snake diet). Just sticking to keto has kept me well below my caloric intake. Though I get frustrated when MFP tells me I am starving myself when I ate full 3 meals that day. Hey, do you wanna be friends on MFP? You can DM if you do.

Also, condiments you should avoid entirely if you can help it. Use vinegarettes if you can (there are organic ones that are sugarless/no artificial sweeteners that are good), or learn to make your own healthier versions of stuff. Sugar is carbs, and they have it separated from the actual carbs so it looks healthier.

Another thing I keep telling people, is sugar actually coats your taste buds so you can't taste things well. Similar to how smoking affects your sense of taste. If you cut out sugar completely, you will find things a lot more sweeter in a week. Especially veggies.

• Cushing's syndrome . This happens when the adrenal glands (located on top of each kidney) produce too much cortisol, which leads to a buildup of fat in the face, upper back, and abdomen.
  • Hypothyroidism . If your thyroid is underactive, your body may not produce enough thyroid hormone to help burn stored fat. As a result, your metabolism is slower and you will store more fat than you burn -- especially if you're not physically active. (you seem to have TSH checked before)
  • Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). This disease, the result of a hormonal imbalance, afflicts more than 5 million women in the US. Common symptoms are irregular menstrual bleeding, acne, excessive facial hair, thinning hair, difficulty getting pregnant, and weight gain that is not caused by excessive eating.
  • Syndrome X. Also called insulin resistance or hyperinsulinemia (high insulin levels), syndrome X goes hand-in-hand with weight gain. Syndrome X is a cluster of health conditions thought to be rooted in insulin resistance. When your body is resistant to the hormone insulin, other hormones that help control your metabolism don't work as well.
  • Some prescription drugs are also mentioned that can cause weight gain by lowering metabolism.
  • Also diabetes maybe?

Why Aren't You Losing Weight?

Some metabolic disorder must be preventing you from losing weight if you are spending more calories than you consume.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Now I can watch everything you eat. I don't get how I've lost more weight than you when I've had more cheat days. Coworkers buying me Dairy Queen, I hate to miss out on that kind of stuff. But I'm still losing weight so eh. It's kinda weird that I use yum yum sauce but I refuse to eat ranch. But I guess if you only had a teaspoon of ranch with your salad it'd be a very dry salad. It wouldn't be the same if I was using it for dipping. Even so, I find it disturbing that ranch is basically just flavored mayo and people encourage their kids to dip their carrot sticks into a vat of mayo. Salad wise I do use olive oil and vinegar at home, and if I do eat a salad at work I use balsamic. Yeah, I love how on days I've gone over my goal it doesn't even chastise me and just said I completed my diary for today but if I eat a healthy amount of calories that's slightly under my calorie goal it won't be happy with me.

It's cool someone else mentioned Secret Eaters and Supersized vs. Superskinny, those are my guilty pleasure shows. Way to guilt trip you into eating healthy, but also the Brits are fun to watch, roasting America and roasting themselves.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now I can watch everything you eat. I don't get how I've lost more weight than you when I've had more cheat days. Coworkers buying me Dairy Queen, I hate to miss out on that kind of stuff. But I'm still losing weight so eh. It's kinda weird that I use yum yum sauce but I refuse to eat ranch. But I guess if you only had a teaspoon of ranch with your salad it'd be a very dry salad. It wouldn't be the same if I was using it for dipping. Even so, I find it disturbing that ranch is basically just flavored mayo and people encourage their kids to dip their carrot sticks into a vat of mayo. Salad wise I do use olive oil and vinegar at home, and if I do eat a salad at work I use balsamic. Yeah, I love how on days I've gone over my goal it doesn't even chastise me and just said I completed my diary for today but if I eat a healthy amount of calories that's slightly under my calorie goal it won't be happy with me.

It's cool someone else mentioned Secret Eaters and Supersized vs. Superskinny, those are my guilty pleasure shows. Way to guilt trip you into eating healthy, but also the Brits are fun to watch, roasting America and roasting themselves.

Feel free to discuss diary with me via dm or discord dm. I have mine on public.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
  • Cushing's syndrome . This happens when the adrenal glands (located on top of each kidney) produce too much cortisol, which leads to a buildup of fat in the face, upper back, and abdomen.
  • Hypothyroidism . If your thyroid is underactive, your body may not produce enough thyroid hormone to help burn stored fat. As a result, your metabolism is slower and you will store more fat than you burn -- especially if you're not physically active. (you seem to have TSH checked before)
  • Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). This disease, the result of a hormonal imbalance, afflicts more than 5 million women in the US. Common symptoms are irregular menstrual bleeding, acne, excessive facial hair, thinning hair, difficulty getting pregnant, and weight gain that is not caused by excessive eating.
  • Syndrome X. Also called insulin resistance or hyperinsulinemia (high insulin levels), syndrome X goes hand-in-hand with weight gain. Syndrome X is a cluster of health conditions thought to be rooted in insulin resistance. When your body is resistant to the hormone insulin, other hormones that help control your metabolism don't work as well.
  • Some prescription drugs are also mentioned that can cause weight gain by lowering metabolism.
  • Also diabetes maybe?

Why Aren't You Losing Weight?

Some metabolic disorder must be preventing you from losing weight if you are spending more calories than you consume.

I was wondering if I had some metabolic disorder, as things like diabetes or hyperthyroidism run in my family. I just don't have the means to test them all.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This thread inspired me to grab some kimchi. It's giving my dad flashbacks from South Korea, where he had hopped on a plane and the whole place reeked of kimchi. He thought it was because there were so many people cramped on a tiny hot plane, but nope.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have always had a damned devil of a time losing weight. Fwiw, my current inspiration for theories as to WHY this happens is Fire In A Bottle - Metabolic Enhancement Shop & Blog - this guy is digging into biochemistry and jiving off others' research to try and come up with a more coherent story around what's happening in the obesity epidemic and how certain nutrients trigger a "torpor" or vestigial hibernative state in humans. Have had some early success following some recommendations with this.

Alice Unchained

I was wondering if I had some metabolic disorder, as things like diabetes or hyperthyroidism run in my family. I just don't have the means to test them all.
Pretty much any metabolic disorder is affected my your food habits and activity. The only difference is that it is much harder to activate the "secondary" (or healthy) metabolism. Do you know if you have an enlarged, fatty liver? Very common for people with insulin issues and leads to irrevocable scaring of the liver, if not addressed. Doctors usually don't pay much attention to early fatty liver because the enzymes are high but not enough to prescribe medications. You can feel it as pressure under your right-side ribs and see it as a slight swelling in the stomach area between the ribs. Also, back problems can be an indication along with other symptoms. If you have drinking habits and animal protein and fat rich diet, you are very likely having it. Keto does not help fatty liver, pancreas (the insulin producer) and thyroid problems. On the contrary - keto damages your affected organs further.

Hmm, I'm having trouble losing weight as well. I'm eating at a caloric deficit according to my tracker, and it says I need 1.5 years to go to the target weight, but all I lost in 1.5 years were less than 1 kg. It's nuts.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some suggestions

walk for 1.5 hours daily
gym/ strength train 3-5 days
aim for 1500 calories or less

lots of water, green tea

intermittent fasting --try 18/6 window
cut out alcohol or at least try to fit it within your eating window/ calorie goal
eat better foods. balance greens/ good carbs
eat more plant protein
less or no sugar-- switch to natural sweeteners
less or no dairy
less or no snacking

wake up --large water + lemon
long walk 1.5 hrs
green tea

noon- healthy lunch
5pm- healthy dinner

or
noon--healthy breakfast/ coffee
4pm--late healthy lunch

gym every other day

lots of water

i can't imagine that not working for everyone. just eat healthy and be active.
get good sleep, take nature walks for exercise and stress management

<3 good luck

*healthy-- meaning (imo) lots of greens, veg, fruit, beans, lentils, some whole grains, plant proteins, few to no animal protein, some nuts and seeds, cooking with little or no oil, salt and sugar