• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Having trouble distinguishing Fe vs. Fi...

rosesc

I can't figure out if I am an Fe user or an Fi. I suppose it does matter which part of the hierarchal functional stack it falls in...
I am either an INTJ or INFJ, I think. I've asked other people if they consider me more a feeler or a thinker, and they both said I was a thinker but for really arbitrary reasons, like

a) "I've only seen you cry once when you were drunk" (true story lol; this is from an ENTJ)
b) "I knew you wanted me to say feeler, so I said the opposite" :unsure:

A little background about me-- I grew up in an extremely tactful and considerate society known for their passive aggressiveness-- That makes it extremely hard for me to decipher if it was in my nature to be more of an Fe feeler or if I was just nurtured to emulate Fe's. I've decided I can either be an Fe with a highly developed Ti, or a Te with a highly developed Fe.

More (maybe helpful) information-- In going through the hardest time in my life, I cried a lot whenever I mentioned stressful relationships. It was so embarrassing. I hated sharing my emotions and got easily overwhelmed by them. Sometimes, I randomly cried from anxiety (work pressures), and I had absolutely no idea what the root of it was. I spent a lot of time agonizing over my relationships in my life. It's like pounding my head against a brick wall sometimes, because I feel like I can't quite understand people-- Why they do the thing they do to others.

In a meeting with a coworker; however, I had this amazing flash of insight where I felt like I could FEEL what the other person was feeling. I could feel their disappointment, anxiety, and yearning. And I realized no matter how much angst we both had, I could not hate this person. It was the first time I shared a moment of empathy with someone. Usually, my intuition is geared towards somehow knowing when things are going to happen before they do, spotting patterns in data, and solving problems requiring logic and strategy.

I'm also in the sciences. I prefer the objectivity of science to the mess that is emotions, which I struggle sometimes in understanding in myself and therefore others. But I am a humanitarian; I love helping people and have made it my life's mission to elevate mankind.

I can't figure it out. I've been scouring the internet for an answer and read a couple books about MBTI. I even took a test with a certified MBTI facilitator, and she pinned me as either INFJ or INTJ but couldn't decide between the two. Can someone help me?? :cry:

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

rosesc

Thanks mr. Cool. That was by far the most helpful link I've read about inf/tj's. After reading the article, I'd say I'm more of a infj-- but I do feel like my life experiences at current are revealing to me a more intj tendency. I just like objectivity and my greatest strength is strategy. I took that test in the link you provided and scored Intj. My mom also says I'm more of a thinker and am too blunt. Lol. She's an infj.

I think it will take a little more life experience for me to figure it out. Thanks anyhow!

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks mr. Cool. That was by far the most helpful link I've read about inf/tj's. After reading the article, I'd say I'm more of a infj-- but I do feel like my life experiences at current are revealing to me a more intj tendency. I just like objectivity and my greatest strength is strategy. I took that test in the link you provided and scored Intj. My mom also says I'm more of a thinker and am too blunt. Lol. She's an infj.

I think it will take a little more life experience for me to figure it out. Thanks anyhow!

Now I feel like I didn't really help you at all. The site led you to believe INFJ, but the test claimed you to be INTJ.
Yeah, good luck with that in the future. Hopefully you'll figure it out someday.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You are feeling type. It is in the way your reasoning comes across in the OP.
The difference to focus on for INTJ vs INFJ is feeling vs thinking, not comparing a tertiarty and often much inferior function in one (Fi) to a preferred function in the other (Fe).

rosesc

OrangeAppled: Your name sounds delicious. I almost want to grab a bowl of fruit right now... I was trying to compare the functions so that I could figure out the differences between INFJ vs INTJ according to their supposed functional stacks. And, there is a strange skeptic in me who wonders if I am neither INFJ or INTJ and actually a different type altogether. When reading the general descriptions of both types, it is really hard for me to pinpoint which type I fall into, because it is so general and broad; I feel like I can be both. So I thought to break the types into pieces to see if I could better pinpoint any (even minute) discrepancies between the two types. I did at first start with T vs F, but like I mentioned in the first post, it would be really hard to tell which you were if you have a highly developed T as an F, or a highly developed F as a T. Although I am able to understand the differences between Fe vs. Fi, I still cannot quite understand how the complex interplay of a particular functional stack would play out in a whole individual. Furthermore, how it plays out in a general span of individuals containing the same functional stacks is also difficult to pinpoint, because a) How can I be sure the individuals I come across are truly what they claim to think they are, and b) It would be erroneous to compare myself to only one other individual with the same functional stack or to have one other individual compare me; I would need to collect more data for a more definitive answer (and definitive would mean the conclusions allow me to repeat and predict my findings in other individuals), and c) The general broad descriptions are what brought me here in the first place, so they are of no help. I am sure many INTJs struggle over understanding other people. I am not so sure INFJs have the same struggle, but I do think they tend to think a lot about other people. I know I think about other people a lot, and depending on who I am interacting with, my struggles will differ. When I'm with my family, I think a lot about relational harmony and how those in my "vicinity" will fare from my actions. But when I'm secluded, I could not care less what people think; I would only scrutinize irrational people and how their confused behavior is jeopardizing my goals. It is just hard for me to pinpoint an exact type atm.

Anyway, I am not sure I am more of a Fe feeler. I know I use the phrase "I feel" a lot more than "I think." Via experience, I have found, that when I appeal to the emotions of "feelers," (which my community responded most poignantly to while growing up) or when I use the phrase "I feel" with thinkers, people tend to back off. There is a difference between thinkers who were raised to use "feeler" arguments due to their environment vs. feelers whose naturally tendency is to appeal to the emotions, because it's what appeals to them. Also when I say "I think," I find people often will use it as a signal to start an argument or debate. Being an Ni, i don't always understand why I think the things I do. I need time to figure it out myself, even though I have an uncanny feeling I am right. And sometimes, being an I, I'm just too lazy to go through the motions of explaining it. *sigh. Even having to explain myself here made me a little tired.

rosesc

Now I feel like I didn't really help you at all. The site led you to believe INFJ, but the test claimed you to be INTJ.
Yeah, good luck with that in the future. Hopefully you'll figure it out someday.

Thanks. :)