• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ferrantissimo (Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan novels)

Raffaella

bon vivant
I finished this series a month ago and although the books have been on the best sellers list since the release of the fourth and final book in September '15 and the series being long-listed for The Man Booker prize, I can't find anyone in real life who has read them. Plus, there are plenty of essays and articles on them but there are no internet discussions despite the fact that the first novel was published in 2011.

So I'm reaching out to typology fans, hoping someone here has read them.

I want to describe these novels as I used to "a intense female friend ship set in post-World War II Italy" but having finished the series, I realise it's a disservice to Ferrante's ingenuity. Ferrante's voice is so intimate that the weight of the climax in the final book will destroy you - despite getting crushed multiple times through the series. The particular event is just... too much, I was in tears. And, yet, it's difficult to describe this story :shrug:

I believe everyone should read these books before watching the series (because I sincerely doubt this medium will capture its essence) but I feel they're not drawing in a wider audience (especially younger men) due to the book covers. Just look at these tacky things: