• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Fe types - What are you hiding?!

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
nvrmnd.gif

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you want to know why that is? because they get away with murder offline. i mean ESTPs aren't very much liked online but they are smooth operators offline. it's just how the internet works.
being manipulative, being sneaky, being bitchy. etc. they seem to get a pass just because they are the pillar of the community. it's a bit like when priests abuse kids and the other normal priests don't get involved because he's a nice guy most of the time.

Carl Jung's description of the Fi function (as seen playing out in these discussions)
Jung’s Portrait of the INFP / ISFP Types | CelebrityTypes
Jung said:
It is principally among women that I have found the priority of introverted feeling. The proverb ‘Still waters run deep’ is very true of such women. They are mostly silent, inaccessible, and hard to understand; often they hide behind a childish or banal mask, and not infrequently their temperament is melancholic. They neither shine nor reveal themselves. Since they submit the control of their lives to their subjectively orientated feeling, their true motives generally remain concealed. Their outward demeanour is harmonious and inconspicuous; they reveal a delightful repose, a sympathetic parallelism, which has no desire to affect others, either to impress, influence, or change them in any way...

So long as the ego feels itself housed, as it were, beneath the heights of the unconscious subject, and feeling reveals something higher and mightier than the ego, the type is normal. The unconscious thinking is certainly archaic, yet its reductions may prove extremely helpful in compensating the occasional inclinations to exalt the ego into the subject. But, whenever this does take place by dint of complete suppression of the unconscious reductive thinking-products, the unconscious thinking goes over into opposition and becomes projected into objects. Whereupon the now egocentric subject comes to feel the power and importance of the depreciated object. Consciousness begins to feel ‘what others think’. Naturally, others are thinking, all sorts of baseness, scheming evil, and contriving all sorts of plots, secret intrigues, etc. To prevent this, the subject must also begin to carry out preventive intrigues, to suspect and sound others, to make subtle combinations. Assailed by rumours, he must make convulsive efforts to convert, if possible, a threatened inferiority into a superiority. Innumerable secret rivalries develop, and in these embittered struggles not only will no base or evil means be disdained, but even virtues will be misused and tampered with in order to play the trump card.

Edit: I don't believe that is true of ALL Fi types. I have many I adore and who I think have zero capacity for such behaviors. I could very plausibly be a Fi-dom myself. I still figuring it out for myself. However, if people want to play hard ball, I'll play. I usually don't because I don't want to stir up more craziness. Jung said those things about Fi. I didn't. They sound like many of the criticisms we've been hearing about Fe. Could there be a bunch of projection going on?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Jesus Christ, chill out. even if they choose to discriminate that is on them. complaining about it is only going to make them think they were right all along.

So I should just put up with discrimination without complaining because "that's just how it is, get over it"? Great advice. Imagine if you applied to same line of thinking to other groups.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
being manipulative, being sneaky, being bitchy. etc. they seem to get a pass just because they are the pillar of the community. it's a bit like when priests abuse kids and the other normal priests don't get involved because he's a nice guy most of the time.
Nevermind that the majority of priests are ISTJ, so your imagined scenario of all the Fe people protecting molesters would more closely be true of tert-Fi*. I don't think it is a MBTI function that results in hiding and protecting harm. It has to do with religious dynamics and how that affects processing.
Psychological type profile of Roman Catholic priests : an empirical enquiry in the United States - WRAP: Warwick Research Archive Portal

Edit: Applies equally to Fi and Fe*

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
For Fe females I suspect they re hidding closets full of shoes

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
@Yamato you see? Fi doms are getting stereotyped right now and i'm not complaining about it because that is just how the MBTI community is.

What I am saying, hasnt so much to do with MBTI, Fe or Fi at all. I am saying that people who constantly put the blame for their problems on other groups have problems themselves. And in matters of self-reflection it is important to know that for yourself. There always will be people in your life, you dont like. But on the way to adulthood its important for you to find a way to cope with them. And to ignore them, cause what they do, wont ever be so important like what you do to you.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
So I should just put up with discrimination without complaining because "that's just how it is, get over it"? Great advice. Imagine if you applied to same line of thinking to other groups.

I do. It works beautifully

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
You are confusing Fe with the persona.

The persona, for Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung, was the social face the individual presented to the world—"a kind of mask, designed on the one hand to make a definite impression upon others, and on the other to conceal the true nature of the individual".

That there is another concept of a mask in Jung doesn't suggest that everyone uses it to the same extent, and with the same ratio of to impress/to conceal, and that everyone uses the same tools for their masks.

Te-doms, for instance, might make a mask of pure objectivity and wear it by using statistics to guide their behaviour, whereas Fe types will instead wear masks of emotionality and wear them by adhering to beliefs considered morally righteous (though, Fe doms can wear objective masks too--they'll do it differently than Te types though) Further, both Te and Fe types will likely "believe" their masks more than Fi types, say.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That there is another concept of a mask in Jung doesn't suggest that everyone uses it to the same extent, and with the same ratio of to impress/to conceal, and that everyone uses the same tools for their masks.

Te-doms, for instance, might make a mask of pure objectivity and wear it by using statistics to guide their behaviour, whereas Fe types will instead wear masks of emotionality and wear them by adhering to beliefs considered morally righteous (though, Fe doms can wear objective masks too--they'll do it differently than Te types though) Further, both Te and Fe types will likely "believe" their masks more than Fi types, say.

Ultimatively tho you have to decide for which mask country you work, or both will kill you.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Ultimatively tho you have to decide for which mask country you work, or both will kill you.

Nah, ultimately you have to realize that the different masks are appropriate for different situations, and use them where they best fit.

Possibly. I've never really donned a Te-mask, so for all I know you're pretty much set with it. They have a good basis for having feelings through their objective standards and the T part, well, does its job.

I guess its problem is just that it's a pain in the ass. But so are the Ji functions.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Nah, ultimately you have to realize that the different masks are appropriate for different situations, and use them where they best fit.

Possibly. I've never really donned a Te-mask, so for all I know you're pretty much set with it. They have a good basis for having feelings through their objective standards and the T part, well, does its job.

I guess its problem is just that it's a pain in the ass. But so are the Ji functions.

I know that, but you wont stand the fight :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

you intps really need to pay more attention to dynamics. Every static decision in the present makes a wave in the future

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
And what of NTPs who use statistics to guide their behavior?

Same shit, basically. Though there will generally be a greater use of things like philosophy by NTPs, INTPs in particular.