• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Fe types - What are you hiding?!

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
What does that have to do with NTPs using statistics?

I assumed you were referring to philosophy, not statistics. The philosophical underpinnings of an opinion on, say, policy, might be too long and not immediately related to the issue at hand to get into in a forum post. Hence, "whole life" vs. nightclub fling.

With regards to statistics, Ti means that they're going to go out looking significantly less (since it's more important for their thoughts to make sense to them), and in the information age there's just too much to be worth sorting through unless you really take the forum seriously.

However, I do agree with you that there are some people that pretend to be objective so poorly that they don't even bother to look up statistics. You're most likely going to find that among unhealthy feelers (note the unhealthy part of that), and in a different way unhealthy Ti doms and auxes, but it's only true of some people who aren't showy about their sources.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Again, that's not what NTPs have been doing in this forum. And thank christ for that or I'd call some of them morons. Wait . . .

Source? There aren't enough TJs posting on this forum to compare to, really, and the FPs that I see are doing it about the same. FJs sometimes less, sometimes more.

But it's a little ironic that you're trying to get me on those grounds given this post.

Jaguar

Source? There aren't enough TJs posting on this forum to compare to, really, and the FPs that I see are doing it about the same. FJs sometimes less, sometimes more.

But it's a little ironic that you're trying to get me on those grounds given this post.

Get you? I just think you are talking out of your ass, that's all. There are years of posts in this forum made by NTPs. They have no problem "going out" as you call it.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Get you? I just think you are talking out of your ass, that's all. There are years of posts in this forum made by NTPs. They have no problem "going out" as you call it.

Okay. How many posts by NTJs are there?

How many posts by NFPs have similar levels of statistics? How many by NFJs? How many by the sensing versions of each?

And further, an online forum in which the final results are communicated isn't necessarily going to reveal everyone's source hunting. However, the definitions of Ti and Te, which you would know as someone who has read Jung, would suggest that Te types would be more inclined, to some degree, to use external measuring sticks to validate their ideas, which would in this day and age be statistics. This doesn't mean Ti types won't do it, but they'll do it a bit less often.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That source is not unknown, it is Mark Twain.

he himself attributed it to someone else...

post script:

Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics

lies3.gif

Last edited:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-unknown

hawthorne effect
statistical inference
problems with polls/

i could continue, but i think i have presented enough to express my view...

From Google:

The term was popularised in United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From Google:

The term was popularised in United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

do you think google has done more research into this than the detailed and well thought out article i linked?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The idea itself was first put in print in 1891 and was attributed to Eliza Gutch.
[MENTION=29287]Obfuscate[/MENTION] Jacqueline Simpson (Editor), Steve Roud (Editor) (2003). A Dictionary of English Folklore. Oxford University Press

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The idea itself was first put in print in 1891 and was attributed to Eliza Gutch.

that is one of the more likely sources...

post script

thanks for adding your sources... if you compare to what i had sent first *shrugs* it doesn't really matter... i'm done with this, but thanks for spending your time looking into the matter... it's a good saying, isn't it? *smiles*

Last edited:

Jaguar

However, the definitions of Ti and Te, which you would know as someone who has read Jung, would suggest that Te types would be more inclined, to some degree, to use external measuring sticks to validate their ideas, which would in this day and age be statistics. This doesn't mean Ti types won't do it, but they'll do it a bit less often.

You went external bringing Jung into this. Change your type.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i feel like a lot of these mbti forums are Ti allergic. it's ok to speculate about things.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perennial emptiness. Perennial nothingness.