• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraverted intuition, your experience?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi, thanks to anyone who responds. I am curious for those with NE as a dominant or auxiliary function, what the experience is like for you? I know there are common responses, but anything you think is more unique or unusual in the way you use this function? Is it always going and you are dealing with a constant streaming of possibilities, does it come out when you put yourself in certain situations, like creative situations for example or whatever it might be for you? Thanks again. :D

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ENFP here. I like to think of my Ne the same way the character Garnet (from Steven Universe) describes her future vision.
"No one can see the future. I can see options and trajectories. Time is like a river that splits into creeks, or pools into lakes, or careens down waterfalls. I have the map, and I steer the ship."

Everything about that quote is powerful to my interpretation on the countless endings and paths Ne has, as well as how my other functions work alongside it. My Fi is the map and my Te is the steering wheel that guides my ship, the S.S. Si.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Everything about that quote is powerful to my interpretation on the countless endings and paths Ne has, as well as how my other functions work alongside it. My Fi is the map and my Te is the steering wheel that guides my ship, the S.S. Si.

First of all, I love the user name. Interesting statement about your user process, but what I am really interested in is specifics. How does it play out for you, year to year, month to month, day to day, moment to moment? How do you apply it in your interests? How does it work into everything you encounter, what you take in? Is it a constant process? Does it reveal itself in certain circumstances or situations? What habits has it created for you? Thank you again for everything.

IndigoViolet11

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
It is like carrying a vacuum cleaner each day and night, and the stuff being taken in is like a air or river flow. The meaning of the fine detail not seeing "as is", but how it feels and interrelated to the rest.You immediately get a picture of something even thought you might not even know what piece of detail got you a certain conclusion.

But then it doesn't mean the detail isn't really seen, tho. I think a physical detailed person would rather see the legos that put the house together. Ne would rather see the vague non built house first before the legos came in.

Sherlock_Holmes

MBTI Type
Istp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Its sorta like "well it could be this, but it could also be that, BUT, this is also connected to that, and what about this? Is this relevant? OH IT IS- oh no it's not." At least, from my INTP perspective. I could be wrong.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
First of all, I love the user name. Interesting statement about your user process, but what I am really interested in is specifics. How does it play out for you, year to year, month to month, day to day, moment to moment? How do you apply it in your interests? How does it work into everything you encounter, what you take in? Is it a constant process? Does it reveal itself in certain circumstances or situations? What habits has it created for you? Thank you again for everything.

Hmm... well it's like a trickle of ink that breaks off into paths. Every thought or idea I get is in some form of 'what now?' and it goes from there. I am all about finding something worthwhile and going all in, until I can do no more or I get bored or it's complete. So the consistency of my Ne is 24/7, it never shuts down, but how often I act on it would be hourly if it really needed a definable rate. I think it shows itself best when I am interacting with others. I am never afraid of being wrong, so toss out solutions and ideas with very little fear. It also proves itself when rationalizing and (despite the stereotype) planning. I can understand the causation of things very quickly, thought process being "A made B do C which lead to D" and that can help me predict the outcome ("J and B have parallels which mean C is about to happen again").

Definitely something that has spawned from this is wishful thinking and overanalyzing. I recently got out of a relationship because I had done so much planning and analyzing that I wasn't actually dating my partner anymore, I was dating the bits and pieces they showed in the past and focused on outcomes were unrealistic and not actively present. Being so predictive and future based probably made me a bit of a control freak, now that I type all of this out.

If you're like me and you read that little bit above, you are probably thinking "Ew, that sounds like a Ni-Se sort of thing, not an Ne-Si" to which I respond with: Sorta. I think the main difference between the two axes is the source material. Like, an Ni dom in my situation would be focusing on the current image of a person and try to alter that to meet their mental standards as opposed to me as opposed to me, an Ne dom, who took the past traits of the person to imagine better versions of my partner. The Ne one is way more hands off and the problem was "You aren't dating me, you're dating the idea of me!" where the Ni's problem would've been "You're not trying to date me, you're trying to mold me!". Those two quotes would from the partner, not sure if that was clear.
Sorry for the late response, I didn't notice I got a notification. I am more than willing to answer more questions!

liesl16

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am an ENFP. I've noticed that I can make random connections between random people/situations that not everyone will necessary agree with but still...it's pretty cool. Plus I've noticed that when someone is trying to explain something I can usually figure out really quickly what they are trying to say. I don't know if that comes more from P than N....maybe someone can include their input?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hmmm, interesting, thank you for the responses. So would you say, the ne is selective perhaps, like it only start concocting possibilities and connections in a serious way with things that interest you? For example, if you read an article about a topic that interested, instead of coming to some possible opinion about the topic, would it just more likely start bringing out more questions and/or possibilities? Also it seems like the N function is something that operates outside of conscious control, as if things are just coming to you and you aren't necessarily "thinking" about them, do you find that it may lay in a state of mild activity, but when you engage in certain activities is fires up? For example, you may see possibilities and connections, between things that just come to you, but a serious out pouring doesn't happen till you are doing something like writing or as stated above, talking with people or planning something? Do you find that you trust at least some of these possibilities that come to you or do you approach them with a skepticism of a mild degree? Thanks again.

MyCupOfTea

MBTI Type
INxP
Hi, thanks to anyone who responds. I am curious for those with NE as a dominant or auxiliary function, what the experience is like for you? I know there are common responses, but anything you think is more unique or unusual in the way you use this function? Is it always going and you are dealing with a constant streaming of possibilities, does it come out when you put yourself in certain situations, like creative situations for example or whatever it might be for you? Thanks again. :D

Ne is my auxiliary function so it might be a bit different than those ENFP's who have replied before. Anyway, my Ne stays mostly unconcious to me, because it's so natural to me. You wanted specific examples, though. Well, in a conversation, others are sometimes confused because to them it seems like I've suddenly started to talk about some random, irrelevant subject. But to me, it's not irrelevant. I've made the connections in my head and the thought process has led me somewhere that I'm then sharing with others. I just forget to share how I got there...

I don't think that this is very unique example, though... But hope it helps? :)

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

Rune

MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Umm.. well.. I really like to talk about the paranormal and video games with everyone I run into..I do not want to filter my curiosity even if people get annoyed at me so I either annoy people or just don't talk to people.
a lot of the time I also don't talk to people because I am trying to understand emotions better.

I'm more inhibited than the ENxPs I have known.. but sometimes my Ne side will come out expectedly..
since I don't talk a whole lot.. it can be pretty funny when I say something off the wall random, but I was listening and making different connections, I guess.

I have a hard time thinking of myself as random these days, though..
I am, really.. but I just understand myself well enough to explain myself to other people now. @.@

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
It does help, reminds me of me, haha

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extraverted intuition in the auxiliary position leads to being overwhelmed by the necessity of making too many decisions in too little time. The flood of information can't be processed, but attempting to do so leads to a feeling of being mentally exhausted. It's just not something that can be switched off. The worst case scenario is being surrounded by people at a social gathering. There is too much going on and such little time to process all the ideas that come flooding in. Mental fatigue eventually leads to a complete shut down.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extraverted intuition also leads a person to becoming dilettantish. Being in the extroverted position, its focus is flighty and expansive. Expanding into the world around it, the depths go unappreciated; there is only the constant influx of data which is used to create more and more ideas (as in, concepts). Free-floating associations abound as the mind races from one fleeting thought to another. But these thoughts are rather peculiar: they aren't concerned with objective reality except to the extent that it can stimulate ideas sometimes of a bizarre nature. A zillion ideas come and go, each one being quickly sorted out from the rest and judged in accordance with a formula. Then it is either retained for future reference or tossed aside.

When there is no intellectual formula with which to make a decision, the judging faculty either flounders in indecision, having been reduced to helpless stuttering, or it gives up the task entirely and just lets go.

Permabanned
Extraverted intuition also leads a person to becoming dilettantish. Being in the extroverted position, its focus is flighty and expansive. Expanding into the world around it, the depths go unappreciated; there is only the constant influx of data which is used to create more and more ideas (as in, concepts). Free-floating associations abound as the mind races from one fleeting thought to another. But these thoughts are rather peculiar: they aren't concerned with objective reality except to the extent that it can stimulate ideas sometimes of a bizarre nature. A zillion ideas come and go, each one being quickly sorted out from the rest and judged in accordance with a formula. Then it is either retained for future reference or tossed aside.

When there is no intellectual formula with which to make a decision, the judging faculty either flounders in indecision, having been reduced to helpless stuttering, or it gives up the task entirely and just lets go.

sux2bu