• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTJ, ESTP or ISTP? Something else?

Meltar85

Tests and typology gurus have typed me as: INTP, INFP, ENTP, ISTJ, ISTP, ESTP, and ENTJ. I'm pretty sure I'm either ENTJ, ESTP or ISTP, but I'm interested to know what you think.

1) Context:

a) What is your age range and general location (Country so that cultural values can be taken into account)? Do you have any impairments that may affect the way that you answer this questionnaire? Any religious or political beliefs (or anything else along those lines) that also might have an effect?

60 y/o, Florida U.S.A. No impairments. Atheist. Independent (no party affiliation).

b) Which types are you currently considering? Why are you considering them and why haven’t you decided on one?

ENTJ, ESTP, ISTP. Not sure if I have Te/Fi or Ti/Fe. (I am certain of Se/Ni, and that Ni is not dominant).

2) What do you deem as your purpose in life?

My purpose is to live life and enjoy it.

3) Of the seven deadly sins, which one(s) do you relate to the most and the least and why?

I don’t believe in the concept of sin. My worst faults are procrastination and arrogance.

4) Analyzing your relationships with others, briefly describe:
a) The type of people you are drawn to
I am drawn to interesting people (of any intelligence level) and skilled people.

b) The type of people who are drawn to you
I’m not aware of the type of person who is drawn to me. However, people often look to me to help them find solutions.

c) The type of people you are repulsed by
Overly-emotional people, addicted people, physically-abusive people, people who abuse their authority, closed-minded people.

5)What are the traits in others that you admire but you cannot emulate yourself? Elaborate.

Athletic prowess and mathematic proficiency. I enjoy playing sports and am very competitive, but I’m not particularly skillful. My lack of athletic prowess may be due to lack of practice or lack of natural talent for it – not sure. Regarding mathematic ability: for me, doing math is worse than scratching my own eyes out; it’s too detailed; too restrictive; no wiggle-room. Yet I admire when someone is very good at it.

6) Describe your relationship with the following:
a) Anger – The older I get, the more comfortable I am with my own anger. When I was younger, I was afraid of my own anger; afraid that if I ever let it out I’d never be able to put it back in the bottle.

b) Shame – Shame is usually the result of manipulation. I don’t allow people to manipulate me into feeling shame.

c) Fear – I have an undercurrent of fear; fear of someone or something having control over me. This is probably why I’m adamant about having self-control at all times. I don’t allow myself to be vulnerable because I don’t want to be controlled.

d) Love/passion – Love = loyalty. Passion = sex.

e) Conflict – I fear physical conflict. I’m a physically small person and don’t have any fighting skills. I don’t seek out verbal or social conflict, but I won’t back down from it either.

7) What are some of the themes that have played a prominent role in your life (ie. A struggle you’ve been unable to conquer, etc)?

Lack of connection with people (except the people in my family).

8) Answer only one of the following:
a) [College aged and above] What is your area of work/study? Why did you choose this and would you change it? If so, what would be your ideal?

Attorney: adoptions, custody, etc. I chose it because when I graduated undergrad school I still didn’t know what I wanted to do; a professor suggested law school so I decided, “Sure, why not?” I chose areas of law dealing with helping children because the practice of law can be very disillusioning and, in some ways, kind of a racket; in order to find the drive to finish law school, I chose an area of law that would allow me to help innocent and vulnerable children.

b)[Under college aged] What do you plan on studying/working as in the future? How did you go about deciding this? If this is not your ideal area of pursuit, what would be? Not applicable.

9) When meeting a new person, what do you tend to focus on?

Are they interesting to talk to? Are they interested in talking to me? Do they actually think about things? Do they have any interesting insights that I haven’t considered? Is their reasoning sound?

10) How do you feel about humanity as a whole? What do you feel are some of the biggest problems the human race faces and why?

Humanity as a whole seems to be led by the nose according to their individual beliefs and feelings, and this is one of the biggest problems. They want to impose their beliefs and feelings on others. Some other big problems: destruction of habitat and wasting of resources – not only for humans but for other living beings on our planet; organized religion is a big one; power structures and politicians that are susceptible to bribery and corruption and bias.

11) What are some of your hobbies and interests?

Mostly gardening/landscaping, racquetball and tennis, personality typology. Occasionally, I paint, sew, play musical instruments.

13) How do you usually “hang out†with your friend(s)? When answering, think about what activities you tend to choose, whether you hang out with one person at once or many, whether or not you initiate the interaction.

I don’t have friends, really. I have acquaintances. My family members are my friends. For family gatherings, I like doing something outside if possible: sports, hiking, skeet shooting, hang-gliding, obstacle course, zip-lining, etc. I hate just sitting and eating, but we often end up doing that anyway. Fortunately, we often have good conversations during our gatherings. There's no drama. I often initiate the interaction because I want to get together with the family and I want it to be fun.

14) What is more important, actions or words? Why?

I think both are important. Words are important because they carry specific meanings. Actions are important because they are tangible evidence of someone’s intent, desire, truthfulness. In terms of determining whether someone means, or is honest about, what they say, actions will support or belie their words.

15) Oh dear, you’ve been cursed by a witch! It’s ok though, you get a choice on which curse you will receive. Will you choose:
a) To never be able to experience the sensation of taste
b) To be immortal
c) To lose your memories
d) To be poor for the rest of your life
e) Or to never experience passion
Elaborate on why!

I’d choose (a) because I’ve already had the sensation of taste all my life and so that seems like the least horrible of the choices. I would hate to be immortal because I'm already tired of humanity. I wouldn’t want to lose my memories because I have such a bad memory already I want to keep what I already have. I don’t want to be poor because I have this belief (correct or not) that poor people don’t have control over their own lives. I have yet to experience real passion, so I don’t want that possibility removed from me forever.

16) What do you hope to avoid being? If it helps, describe a person who embodies what you avoid/you as a villain, ect.

I hope to avoid being helpless or addicted. A person who embodies what I want to avoid is a decrepit elderly person who has had all of his/her rights removed due to dementia, being forced to take gobs of "medications" she doesn't want.

17) How do you relate to obsession? Do you tend to "merge" with others or your interests? How do you feel about the idea of doing this?

I don’t “merge” with anyone, really. I don’t know what that would look like. Regarding obsession, I do get obsessed with certain areas of interest at times: example, attracting birds to my garden; personality typology; figuring people out.

18) Organized or messy? Plans and blueprints or impulse and surprises? What are you preferences and tendencies?

I’m some of each. My office desk and my computer files are highly-organized. Most of my home is organized. My “studio” at home is another story: it's where I have two or three projects going at any one time in varying stages of completion. They’ll all eventually get done, but I like the option of going from one to the other. Sometimes working on one will help me to decide how I need to proceed with the other projects I have going at the time. Re: blueprints - I drew out my plans for my latest landscaping project, complete with list of materials and plants. But there are times when I just get an idea for something else in the garden and I won’t plan it. Re: surprises - I love receiving birthday surprises, especially if it’s an activity I haven’t done before. I love surprising others for their birthdays (even if they don’t like it).

19) How do you subjectively view comfort and how do you create comfort in your life and surroundings?

I like my creature comforts: lots of meat in the freezer and tea in the pantry. I like having my own bathroom and my own “studio”. But I get bored easily with too much comfort, too much routine. I have a pretty flexible schedule in all areas of my life. My schedule is tight enough so my clients know they can rely on me, but loose enough to change things up when I need it.

Last edited:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I'm gonna vote INTP but it's a soft read because I have a hard time with questionnaires. I prefer self descriptions. I'm seeing Si though.

What makes you so sure you're on the Ni/Se axis?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Nevermind, I read your other post and I am going to recast my vote to ENTJ.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Would you mind pointing out where you see Te/Fi (as opposed to Ti/Fe)?
I'll just say it's the way you gave your reasoning at the start of the post where you typed someone. It sounded Te.