• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFJ or INFP?

madhats42

MBTI Type
XNFX
Enneagram
2w3
ENFJ or INFP?

Okay, so I am pretty certain of my cognitive functions order because whenever I try it, I always get Feeling dominant (very strongly), then Perceiving (also very strong second), then Sensing, then Thinking (both S and T are pretty weak) and fit the XNFX mold pretty well. So I think I'm an INFP or an ENFJ but am not sure which one. Maybe INFJ but I think I'm Feeling dominant so maybe not. Hence asking one more time. I found this scenario thing that seems to help others and wanted to try it out here. If you could just skim quickly and give a quick impression, I'd appreciate it a lot.

SCENARIO 1

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.

- Describe how this scenario would make you feel as well as what sort of influences and motivations lie behind those feelings. Why do you feel the way you do?

Before I knew, I would feel really hurt and wonder what I did wrong and feel like my future with them is crumbling before my eyes. I would probably ask friends and family what went wrong and what to do. After the family told me, I would still feel hurt, but mostly hurting that they have to go through this and understanding why they are no longer returning my calls. At that point, I would long to be close to them and comfort them but do what they need. If they need space, then I would give them space, but I'd try to let them know that I still love them and want to support them no matter what happens.

- In this scenario what would you honestly say the primary focus of your feelings would be?

Anxiety and sadness for them. It would be really devastating to see them go through that kind of suffering.

SCENARIO 2

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

You are in college and this semester both you and your roommate end up in the same class together. You and your roommate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your roommate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your roommate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.

- How do you respond to your roommate’s request and why?

I would definitely help them study, but just in a general way, not in a way that would give away any of the specific questions. But if they are studying and have any questions of their own, I would totally help them with it because we're roommates and I should help them if they're having trouble. Exams suck, and we all have that subject we're not so good at.

- What sort of things in this scenario stand out to you as far as having a strong influence on your decision making and why?

Empathy and duty, probably. They'd probably be there for me, and I want to be there for them.

- Describe the flow of your decision making process.

Okay. You're struggling, and I can help you so I will because that's what roommates do and I know you'd do the same for me. But I can't just give you the answers, you need to figure them out on your own. If you have any questions, I am here for you and will help you. Where are you lost? What do you need clearing up on?

SCENARIO 3

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of group work where you would be logically thinking through the project together with the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.

- Which project appeals to you the most, as it relates to the way you prefer to logically process information? Why?

Hm, that is tough. I can see pros to both. Project 2 sounds nice because I like being able to think things through on my own and not feel group pressure... I like having time to toy with things on my own because group pressure makes me feel stressed. If it was one-on-one, that's a different story. But project one sounds good too because Project 2 sounds lonely. Ultimately, I might choose project 2 and ask for advice or ways to bounce off ideas one-on-one if needed. But I could see benefits to project 1 because if it's not stressful, project 1 would be more lively, and I would actually like to not have the sole responsibility. Maybe project 1, actually... I don't know, there are pros and cons to both.

- What sort of things in this scenario, across either project, stood out to you as having a strong influence on your decision? Why?

Group pressure and the freedom of being able to think things through on my own without that vs. group projects are fun and I like the idea of sharing responsibility/teamwork.

SCENARIO 4

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your college professor has assigned you to a group project with 3 other individuals. All 3 of these individuals have a good strong work ethic and desire to contribute to the overall success of this project. You are at the first meeting of your group and the other members are tossing around valuable ideas as to the nature and direction of this project.

- Describe your behavior in this situation as you process and think about the ideas they are presenting.

Probably observe the people involved and get a sense of who they are/what they're like and how I can contribute. If I think of an idea, I would toss one out or voice agreement with another person's ideas, but mainly I would probably listen and think about how I can help with the project. Probably even amount of talking and listening.

- Describe what major influences drive this behavior.

If I feel comfortable, then I like discussions and have fun listening to other opinions and also adding in some of my own. I like to feel like I have a purpose and am valued in the group and would work towards seeing what I can do to help and not be useless/disliked.

SCENARIO 5

FOCUS ON THE SOURCES YOU DRAW NON-PHYSICAL ENERGY FROM HERE

It has been a very long week and you feel mentally and emotionally drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.

- Describe what sort of activities would help you to recharge. What would you enjoy doing after a long week and why?

Might do a couple of things. On Saturdays, the fitness center at my college does yoga so probably that. Might go hiking or read/write somewhere. Might see if my family or close friends are doing anything and join them (that would be the ideal). Might also watch documentaries, I've been watching a lot of science and history ones lately and those are relaxing. Also, music.

- What sort of things do you feel you draw non-physical energy from doing?

Depends on my mood. Being with family/friends. Hiking/yoga, but not exercise in general, just those specific things (and also biking). Reading is always calming, and writing is fun. Also music. I get really emotionally charged from music.

FOCUS ON THINKING VS FEELING HERE

You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you a list of the following careers and asks you to pick your TOP 3. He/she asks you to take money out of the equation. Imagine all of these careers received equal compensation. Focus instead on where you would truly feel most happy and fulfilled.

Artist, Scientist, Actor, Engineer, Musician, Lawyer, Counselor, Entrepreneur, Teacher, Manager, Psychologist, Computer Programmer / Analyst, Clergy, Child Care, Medical Doctor
- What were your top 3 choices and what aspects of these careers appeal to you?

Artist--If I could make a sustainable living at it, I think it would be really fun to be a landscape artist. Where my grandma lives, they always have a festival for that in the July season where all the artists go out and do plein air painting and I think that would be really fun.

Teacher--I'm studying to be a professor so... I like being able to make a difference and help students enjoy a subject. My teachers growing up were my heroes, and I want to set others on a path that will help them find passion and happiness in life. Also... summers off.

Medical doctor--being able to interact with patients one-on-one and feel like I have a purpose and am helping others. Probably a pediatrician or chiropractor, something laid back that doesn't involve a lot of emotional trauma or intensity.

- Was it difficult or easy to pick only 3 and why?

Difficult. I could see fun things about all of them (besides manager... my dad owns a business and the stress swore me off business things for life, haha) and wouldn't mind a lot of them. Those were just the top 3.

Boy, that was a lot of reading, haha! Between the types you said in the beginning, along with your information and how you would react to said scenarios, you seemed very much INFJ, but you also seem like you can be extroverted (at least with my limited knowledge on how you described yourself). In my opinion, it seems like you definitely rely on sound judgment that you could apply to various situations through logic, concept, and abstract judgement on the best way to act- and just the way with how you would react to each scenario really seemed like you lean towards "J" more than "P" (though you do have a lot of "P" too!). If I were to conclude what I thought given the information you've provided, I would say you are an INFJ. I hope I was able to help! :D

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
ENFJ or INFP?

Okay, so I am pretty certain of my cognitive functions order because whenever I try it, I always get Feeling dominant (very strongly), then Perceiving (also very strong second), then Sensing, then Thinking (both S and T are pretty weak) and fit the XNFX mold pretty well. So I think I'm an INFP or an ENFJ but am not sure which one. Maybe INFJ but I think I'm Feeling dominant so maybe not. Hence asking one more time. I found this scenario thing that seems to help others and wanted to try it out here. If you could just skim quickly and give a quick impression, I'd appreciate it a lot.

If you accept that you prefer F because it is the strongest then it would be consistent to accept P as well since it is number two. So that would rule out ENFJ....

madhats42

MBTI Type
XNFX
Enneagram
2w3
If you accept that you prefer F because it is the strongest then it would be consistent to accept P as well since it is number two. So that would rule out ENFJ....

Oh--I meant intuitive, not perceiving! I was trying to think about the functions

bibliobibuli

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find it hard to tell what Perceiving function you use, just based on these 4 scenarios that mainly show you use Fe over Fi. Why do you think you are Ni over Si, or Ne over Se? Perhaps you can answer a few more scenarios if you have time? If you don't, I would go on INFJ, solely based on what you told us (NF) and because I see Fe > Fi.

yoliyoli

This is an Ne thing. Trust me bro. An Ni would be more likely to be hopeful and not freak out. Ne's the worst.
Before I knew, I would feel really hurt and wonder what I did wrong and feel like my future with them is crumbling before my eyes.

You're struggling, and I can help you so I will because that's what roommates do and I know you'd do the same for me. But I can't just give you the answers, you need to figure them out on your own. If you have any questions, I am here for you and will help you. Where are you lost? What do you need clearing up on?
Sounds like inf Te to me.

I do see a bit ESFJ there (with inf Ti) so I could see why you think that, ENFJ. Hmm.