• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you experience something like this?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I want to know if people here have had similar experiences to this...

Basically what I am referring to is:

For a few weeks, or maybe a few days, or any sort of time frame (not too short though), life feels markedly different. It becomes suddenly more intense, more turbulent, more surreal... bizarre interpretations of the world around one as if one were all of a sudden placed in an alternate-reality-within-this-reality. A clear distinction between the normal life that occurs before and after this experience. Probably related to the notion of "tripping", but I'm not referring to actual drug use. Somewhat of a rollercoaster ride, and could be primarily positive or primarily negative on an emotional level. A large influx of ideas may be manifesting that is not usually present, or is present to a far greater degree than usual. A more experimental approach to experience. May or may not have spiritual overtones. Tends to create a sharp division between oneself and everyone else, but at the same time feeling that one is aware of hidden elements of reality, including the social, that are there anyway, as if one just "woke up".

Does this seem reminiscent of something you've been through?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

For a few weeks, or maybe a few days, or any sort of time frame (not too short though), life feels markedly different. It becomes suddenly more intense, more turbulent, more surreal... bizarre interpretations of the world around one as if one were all of a sudden placed in an alternate-reality-within-this-reality. A clear distinction between the normal life that occurs before and after this experience. Probably related to the notion of "tripping", but I'm not referring to actual drug use. Somewhat of a rollercoaster ride, and could be primarily positive or primarily negative on an emotional level. A large influx of ideas may be manifesting that is not usually present, or is present to a far greater degree than usual. A more experimental approach to experience. May or may not have spiritual overtones. Tends to create a sharp division between oneself and everyone else, but at the same time feeling that one is aware of hidden elements of reality, including the social, that are there anyway, as if one just "woke up".

Sounds an awful lot like what I go through when I am trying to fall asleep. It probably has something to do with connecting to the subconscious. It feels spiritual, because you are more in touch with yourself. Sometimes, your ego fades and lets in other aspects of your identity to flood into your reality through the form of associations and emotional alignment.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Sounds an awful lot like what I go through when I am trying to fall asleep. It probably has something to do with connecting to the subconscious. It feels spiritual, because you are more in touch with yourself. Sometimes, your ego fades and lets in other aspects of your identity to flood into your reality through the form of associations and emotional alignment.

You're right (although I'd say the unconscious, rather than subconscious). When I'm... ahem... going through this experience, I am pretty sure that my unconscious is super active. I think that's what's causing the feelings, and it's also probably why it's so difficult to communicate these experiences to other people.

And it's also like... as I keep going through it I go further and further into the unconscious (the increasing levels of unconsciousness is why I don't like the term subconscious for this case because that implies the stuff that's between consciousness and unconsciousness). Like how you mentioned about channeling people - it was through these experiences that I began channeling people, but then a couple years later and aliens got involved.

I thought the reason for why it happens for a few weeks and then doesn't happen any more might be like... one of those cups filling slowly with water, and then once the cup gets full enough, the cup tips over, and then once it's empty it goes back to being upright. So the unconscious is slowly building up, and then it reaches tipping point and then I have this... "storm" perhaps, and then once the unconscious has exhausted its energy I return to a state of conscious life.

I'll probably be piecing this together for a while, heh.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
No and now I feel jealous that I'm not an Ni dominant (even though people think I am and I occasionally consider it because my mind likes puzzles).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have experiences quite that like, but I do often feel like I have woken up in a parallel universe. The hippies I used to hang out with did mess with my brain with all of that talk. Now sometimes something familiar and common in my life suddenly looks different. Even my car looked different to me a few days ago with slightly more rounded corners than I remembered and it felt like it wasn't actually my car, but it was similar and responded to my key FOB, and had my stuff in it. Once when I went on a nature walk up a mountain and looked back down at the trails, they looked to be in a different place than before. I usually feel really lost in reality like I'm drifting on a little raft on a giant sea. Lots of stuff feels weird and distant to me. Reality feels unstable to me.

Sometimes it freaks me out when I think of the names of people I have encountered and how they so aptly fit their character, role, and behavior like a name I would chose if I was writing a novel. It's really their name, though, and I had nothing to do with it. It messes with my head, but surely it's just a statistical anomaly that a certain number of people I know will have names that can be interpreted to convey something about their character. I hope to all the universe I have no hand in creating this reality because it's a f*cking nightmare, and I would have to be satan. /mindtrips

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
No and now I feel jealous that I'm not an Ni dominant (even though people think I am and I occasionally consider it because my mind likes puzzles).

So, you think then that what I described has a lot to do with being Ni dominant? If so, I'm thinking that there would be some kinds of parallel experience that other types have.

I think there is certainly a lot of Ni related stuff in my description, but what I'm mostly focused on is the phenomenon of life becoming very, very different temporarily and perhaps repeatedly. I don't know if that would be Ni specific.

Ravenetta said:
Sometimes it freaks me out when I think of the names of people I have encountered and how they so aptly fit their character, role, and behavior like a name I would chose if I was writing a novel. It's really their name, though, and I had nothing to do with it.

I was thinking about that general phenomenon the other day.
Consider:
parents choose a name that appeals to them, and the character of a child is often similar to the parent's
when you are named something, you shift your own character to be in line with that name. If you changed your name your character would change a bit.

There are probably also other reasons of a more spiritual nature, like maybe the person was just "meant" to have that name. I believe that is something that happens.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I was thinking about that general phenomena the other day.
Consider:
parents choose a name that appeals to them, and the character of a child is often similar to the parent's
when you are named something, you shift your own character to be in line with that name. If you changed your name your character would change a bit.

There are probably also other reasons of a more spiritual nature, like maybe the person was just "meant" to have that name. I believe that is something that happens.

I've never once, in my entire life, related to my name. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I've experienced depersonalization in association with my name (and sometimes my reflection/image in photographs). I just do not identify with either in a concrete, tethered-to-reality sense.

I do not have this disorder, for the record.

rav3n

While I've never experienced this, have you ever been diagnosed with anything similar to bipolar? What you're describing sounds a bit like the manic phase.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I've never once, in my entire life, related to my name. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I've experienced depersonalization in association with my name (and sometimes my reflection/image in photographs). I just do not identify with either in a concrete, tethered-to-reality sense.

I do not have this disorder, for the record.

Hm yeah, the character to name alignment would likely require that the person accept/identify with their name. It could be a case of being given a name too out of line with your own character to begin with.

There was a time several years ago when I looked in the mirror a lot with a sense of confusion, like maybe I didn't understand my face and was trying to understand it. I still feel like something is wrong with my face... like I am constantly doing a face that isn't me although I don't know how to control it, maybe because my face reflects my state of mind and I may be in a state of mind that isn't where I want to be and doesn't accurately reflect me. Almost like I put on the wrong persona at some point by accident and now I can't take it off.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
While I've never experienced this, have you ever been diagnosed with anything similar to bipolar? What you're describing sounds a bit like the manic phase.

Somewhere on the schizophrenia-bipolar spectrum, yeah.

What I was describing was basically what I call my "psychosis", but maybe "mania" is a better word.

I want to understand what it is though in terms of things like Jungian psychology. As discussed above it probably relates a lot to the unconscious.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Hm yeah, the character to name alignment would likely require that the person accept/identify with their name. It could be a case of being given a name too out of line with your own character to begin with.

There was a time several years ago when I looked in the mirror a lot with a sense of confusion, like maybe I didn't understand my face and was trying to understand it. I still feel like something is wrong with my face... like I am constantly doing a face that isn't me although I don't know how to control it, maybe because my face reflects my state of mind and I may be in a state of mind that isn't where I want to be and doesn't accurately reflect me. Almost like I put on the wrong persona at some point by accident and now I can't take it off.

My name is very common. In entirety. I've never really liked it, but it is what it is. I've also at points in time not really related to terms like "she", although I have absolutely zero gender issues. It is hard to explain for me. As for my face/physical appearance, I think a lot of it is that sometimes I look at photos of myself, mainly good ones, and think "that is someone else... that is not me", although not literally in those words. There has always been a separation of how others see me and how I see myself, and perhaps some photos are a representation of how others see me.

The ugly ones feel like me sometimes a bit too much for comfort. I guess I can't be satisfied with who I am regardless.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking about that general phenomenon the other day.
Consider:

The examples I think of aren't like that as far as I can tell. I can't be specific and maintain everyone's anonymity, but one example from a person who is never online was a lady who had a very childlike first name - famous as a name in children's books and her last name was "Fox". She was really sly and cunning, but was emotionally like a child. She also had emotional issues of feeling hounded and oppressed and as a result had a conflict disorder. She was exactly her name, but not in a way that she thought of in terms of identity. It is the name I would give her if I was writing a story about a character like her. Some of my exe's had last names that were apropos for the relationship. It's not everyone, but a few stand out to me. I think it is only random chance.

It trips me out a bit when it dawns on me.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
The examples I think of aren't like that as far as I can tell. I can't be specific and maintain everyone's anonymity, but one example from a person who is never online was a lady who had a very childlike first name - famous as a name in children's books and her last name was "Fox". She was really sly and cunning, but was emotionally like a child. She also had emotional issues of feeling hounded and oppressed and as a result had a conflict disorder. She was exactly her name, but not in a way that she thought of in terms of identity. It is the name I would give her if I was writing a story about a character like her. Some of my exe's had last names that were apropos for the relationship. It's not everyone, but a few stand out to me. I think it is only random chance.

It trips me out a bit when it dawns on me.

Many seemingly random things in life aren't random but occur as a result of synchronistic energy such as the interference of spiritual beings and the energy field of spirit.

Another example of what is presumably random is results in gambling, such as card shuffles and slot machine spins, but with a keen eye it seems that much of it is mediated by supernatural forces.

Mini rant: the scientist mindset as it currently seems to exist... would say something like "it is absurd to think that slot machine spins are anything but random. There are many, many random numbers generated every second to make sure that all results are random, there is zero meaning in it." Well sorry science, but the spirit can overcome even the most intricate of scientific mechanisms. Spirit can cause that 1 in a trillion even to happen with near certainty, because spirit is very real. Catch up, science. Catch up to thousands of years of spiritual understanding!

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
[MENTION=22236]OldFolksBoogie[/MENTION]

In general, ego is something I seek to overcome. I seek to traverse the plains of the unconscious. Doing so has not seemed to put me at the mercy of society, but rather has opened my ideas to the limiting nature of societal structures. I relate to the state of surrender but this is a surrender to God. When doing things one continues to act but is not bound by the paralysis of decision making. Flow transpires through spiritual paths.

Ecstatic states have generally occurred through the context of psychosis, for me. This is similar to the ecstasy of drug use, where the unconscious is opened and energy flows through. This is the person being enlivened through the heightened awareness into hidden elements of the experience.

There may be some level of applicability to what you say regarding the pychotic state. Let me check. When immersed the unconscious processes of psychosis, there is often a reactionary formation of a persona of "divine destiny" (you know, the whole "I think I'm Jesus" thing). Is this the ego fighting against the unconscious to boost its own libido, or is this something else, in your view?

I agree that the ego is often self-assertive, however it was my understanding that the ego can be either dominant or submissive, and a submissive ego would be one which surrenders to social pressures, perhaps as a form of self-protection. I don't view the conscious and unconscious as being at war with each other except in an unbalanced individual, though I could be wrong.

To reiterate, I see traversing the unconscious as a predominantly positive endeavour, and is a key to understanding the development of the individual.

I don't know, your description sounds off to me, not overly applicable, though I'll return to it later.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
My answer is more or less no.

There been days where things felt different, seem different or felt like it changed or like I spawned on a new universe, but that was super soft and it happes when Im under heavy emotions and have a night with deep sleep.
[MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION] "Mini rant: the scientist mindset as it currently seems to exist..." Dont be mad about "scientists mindset", I already given a depth explain to try to spread comprehension on both sides, Reckful didnt seem to logged in yet since them (I think you do remember the type me thread). Im agnostic and theres room for a belief if you get understand deep the mentality and get into something that cannot be proved or disproved.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
My answer is more or less no.

There been days where things felt different, seem different or felt like it changed or like I spawned on a new universe, but that was super soft and it happes when Im under heavy emotions and have a night with deep sleep.

Yeah, I probably had stuff like that happen before my "break from (conventional) reality", where I started becoming aware of a greater story occurring than the conventional narrative.

[MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION] "Mini rant: the scientist mindset as it currently seems to exist..." Dont be mad about "scientists mindset", I already given a depth explain to try to spread comprehension on both sides, Reckful didnt seem to logged in yet since them (I think you do remember the type me thread). Im agnostic and theres room for a belief if you get understand deep the mentality and get into something that cannot be proved or disproved.

I don't know what thread you're referring to - can you link me to it? I also don't know what your last line means.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know, your description sounds off to me, not overly applicable, though I'll return to it later.

In the OP and elsewhere you seemed to refer to your problem as kind of a manic episode: a burst of energy with lots of creative thinking. But in your response to me you're defining it as a psychotic break with reality. That's a very different thing.

So I agree that my response wasn't applicable to your situation. In fact, I deleted my post. I don't want it said that I was trying to counsel someone with a problem of that nature.

Anyway, my apologies. I was premature in putting in my two cents. Psychosis is a whole different animal, and I don't know enough about it to comment on it.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
In the OP and elsewhere you seemed to refer to your problem as kind of a manic episode: a burst of energy with lots of creative thinking. But in your response to me you're defining it as a psychotic break with reality. That's a very different thing.

So I agree that my response wasn't applicable to your situation. In fact, I deleted my post. I don't want it said that I was trying to counsel someone with a problem of that nature.

Anyway, my apologies. I was premature in putting in my two cents. Psychosis is a whole different animal, and I don't know enough about it to comment on it.

What are you even talking about?

Suddenly I mention the word "psychosis" and you're getting an averse reaction. Talk about stigmatisation!

The OP was a description of what I experience. I don't know what on earth you think psychosis is, but it's probably not what I'm talking about.

Talking about it as a "problem", no, "problem of that nature", is highly disrespectful.

Manic is alright but psychosis isn't? What if I called it a spiritual emergency, or transcendent experience? Those are just words, and I've already described what it is.

The problem with your response was that it spoke negatively of the unconscious. You spoke of it as though traversing the unconscious was an undesirable thing to do, and I treat it as highly desirable.

After all, that is one the common themes of human development. We become more and more aware of the unconscious as we grow older. It is called development.

Anyhow, I'll leave it at that and get on with things.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Personally I think you need to get down to a professional and get these things properly diagnosed. Are you manic-depressive? Psychotic? Or something else? There are very big differences in these conditions.

Anyway, no offense intended. I was just agreeing with you: If you're going with psychosis as the explanation for your condition, then my response wasn't going to be of any help to you.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Personally I think you need to get down to a professional and get these things properly diagnosed. Are you manic-depressive? Psychotic? Or something else? There are very big differences in these conditions.

Anyway, no offense intended. I was just agreeing with you: If you're going with psychosis as the explanation for your condition, then my response wasn't going to be of any help to you.

Why not? What did your response have to do with mania? You were describing 2 states of mind: one characterised by the ego, and another by the unconscious. If I had already concluded that what I experience is intricately linked to the notion of the unconscious, then your response, if it was in line with truth, would therefore be valid.

My goal is to get away from mental health professionals. Actually, a major reason for making this thread is to help myself in being able to explain to mental health professionals what I go through, so as to demonstrate that it is not a "pathological condition" but is in fact, I suppose, more-healthy-than-healthy.

The problem is that I don't know to what extent the general population goes through this splitting of experiences between the ordinary and the fantastical, or what the status quo view of this phenomenon is. I myself am confident in the belief that it is a highly beneficial experience to go through, but I need to be able to anchor it in something that makes it more communicable to a hostile audience.