• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do people/characters you relate to strongly, possibly help determine your type?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was just curious as to what people's thoughts on this are. I am not talking about people you essentially like, but strongly relate to. Flaws and all. I find myself relating to a LOT of ISTP and INFP characters, and I felt there was an association with these types and my own MBTI type. Is there any evidence to suggest correlation between people you relate to, and your own type?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I had a very similar idea to you! I was thinking by cross comparing yourself with other types could one help determine their type. I don't think its by itself a sure fire way to tell what your type is but you can pick up on patterns in people and characters kind of like archetypes. I think a sample size of at least 5 characters you relate too I would need at least to feel comfortable drawing any solid conclusions from characters like I relate a LOT to Amethyst from SU and we have a pretty similar tritype but very different MBTI types but that's a pattern there. Ooooooh I was wondering btw can one also type based on characters one deems to be their total opposite (Not trying to detrail the thread just something that relates to this :p).

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm perhaps, but I wouldn't use it as a reliable typing method. There are some ENTP characters I relate to, but then a handful of ENxJs I relate to (one of the fictional characters I "relate" to most is an ENTJ 7w8)

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also good to note that some of the characters you relate to, might be MISSTYPED online. I agree its an unreliable form of typing, but I do believe that using the information learned can help pinpoint your type. I think my "idealized" type is ENTP, because I relate and want to become some "ENTP" characters, and envy them for their ability to be confident in themselves. (#fourenvy). But then there are characters which I know no one is suppose to like, but I see myself within them. Such as Natsuki Subaru, who is an ESTP (Or ENFP) depending on who you talk to.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not really. I guess I neveer think to type characters because characters are usually just a small revealing of a whole person and surface level at best for an MBTI basis.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kind of in the same boat as miss deceit. It can be connected to type but shouldn't be used to find your type.

A lot of my favorite characters and a couple of famous people I like share similar type aspects to me although I won't find anyone with the exact same type in the same order. So therefore there are a lot of ISTJs and ISxPs, 4s and 6s. It can't determine my type since it's not narrow enough.

There's also a couple of exceptions in my case, one of my most relatable fictional characters is actually an ESFJ soc-dom and I'm definitely not Fe-dom but I relate to him through his strong 6 core. I think I can relate to people of any MBTI type pretty decently, we just get to our conclusions in a different manner. Enneagram is more specific to me.

I am very aware that a fuckton of characters and famous people are mistyped (sometimes horribly) online so I type all of the ones I care about myself. Maybe I'm mistyping them too, due to me relating to them which may cause bias.

J. Starke

MBTI Type
entj
I don't know. Sometimes you relate to a person even though they're different from you, just empathizing.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think it's a good starting point. Although it's funny that I have more confidence typing characters, and then I apply how and why I typed the character that way to myself. The characters I relate to tend to be other IxFs, and have a 9 in the mix and usually a 4 or 2 for heart(although I don't relate to 2 at all, they're just the demure awkward characters). It's especially funny a lot of characters I relate to are ISFJ-INFP hybrids(I get typed as both a lot, like Alphonse Elric who I relate to). One thing that does help me when confirming my type for myself is looking how the dominant and inferior functions present themselves in characters. While sometimes they are exaggerated and stereotyped(like a cold ruthless villain being inferior Fi or a really skittish person being inferior Ne), they're a good way representation of how those functions interact with each other and helped me with settling on my type.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's really a give or take, but sometimes looking at characters whom you relate to strongly can help you realize you're mistyped or provide an external means of looking at your own behavior. As an example, many people see me as a strong attachment type in the enneagram and I have always had trouble understanding how or why this is (as it's difficult to relate to the concept from a conscious level), but recently coming across Betty from adventure time (she's typed as a 5w4 sx/so online, but is very much not haha, probably 6w5 or 9 core) because she is the closest character I've found to myself mechanically and is a clear attachment type, it's a bit easy to reconcile that confusion.

But also, if we were going by characters I relate to, I probably would've mistyped as a Ni dom or INTP considerably longer, so there's only so far that goes.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I really dont think you can actually type fictional characters...but then i guess its no more rediculous than typing people. :huh: