• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cold war 2.0

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wrote this a few days earlier, and then chickened out. It is necessary to address this because all discussions about the region inevitably head backwards in time in this direction. This is my second attempt:

I feel sympathy for the survivors of WWII who had nowhere else to go, and I also feel sympathy for the inhabitants of the region who were removed from their homes. I think you can do both.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I agree with the sentiments in this article.

I was wondering in my own mind if Israel really wanted to provoke a war with Iran. There is no doubt that the Israel attack that killed the 7 Revolutionary Guard members in their consulate in Syria was deliberately provocative. Netanyahu must have known Iran would have to respond in some fashion.

So now that this apparently symbolic attack has happened, Netanyahu has multiple good options as mentioned in this article. He has forced America to re-iterate it's support for Israel. I suspect there will be no more rhetoric about withholding arms or war planes or whatever coming from the Whitehouse. And he'll have more of a free hand in doing as he pleases in Gaza.

Or Israel can escalate the war with Iran into a full blown conflict. I suspect America will follow them in if this happens despite calls for restraint currently. I can't really see Israel wanting a full scale conflict with everything going on in Gaza, however, they might be scared Iran is making good headway with it's nuclear program, and may want a full scale war to knock them back significantly. And given these chaotic times, war seems to be back in fashion again.

We'll see. If Israel lets this sleeping dog lie (or makes another symbolic attack that doesn't cause any real damage on some Iranian targets) then I will conclude this was just about getting American support back on side. If there is a destructive response likely to escalate the conflict, I will conclude Israel really wants to bring things to a head. I'm betting on the former, I think it was just some clever political maneuvering by Netanyahu.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Never hope for war.
It's never a game.
A regional conflict would crush the Palestinians between an irresistible force and an immovable object.
They'll be ground down to dust and blood.
Cease Fire. Peace Process. <---This is the only way to help Palestine.
Famine has entered the field. Famine doesn't go away with more regional conflict. It gets worse.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Croatian election results: Populist wins chance to steer Zagreb away from pro-EU, pro-Ukraine path

However it is pretty safe to say that this has just failed. What means that Slovak scenario wouldn't be happening here.
The left that is Russia "friendly" tried to make things unclear and dramatic as possible. However the good chunk of people managed to see through this. What means that Christian left that is locally considered to be center right has managed to get far ahead in the terms of seats in the parliament. What makes sure that pro-western orientation of country will stay as it is. It also seems that Christian left will make a coalition government with conservatives. Which are basically the right wing of the party that has decided to have it's own show. Therefore it seems that pro western force manged to hold the parliament that is basically the most important institution in the country. Plus now it is safe to say that the populist president is vulnerable in upcoming presidential elections in the fall. However what exactly will happen there it is too early to project. Especially since there are plenty of shenanigans at play, as well as smaller parties.