• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cold war 2.0

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
The story of negotiation is something that the media are usually presenting for those that don't have the stomach for military solutions.
While in practice negotiations serve as a means to achieve various tactical or diplomatic gains rather than the means to end "the main show".
I agree. But it still vexes me that the media is basically propagating misinformation. It would really help (across many issues) if the media would paint a more realistic picture. But I know, they have to pander to what few viewers they have left, lest even those depart to social media echo chambers.

On the "world is watching" front, I think both you and JVB have valid points. The tactic being tried by UK/France in the original article will not influence the US to step up, and may even be counter productive. Also, your point is valid, in that if the US loses global influence due to a 'fortress America' mindset, it will eventually cost them economically. But that is a long term issue. For now, the EU is just trying to get the US to foot the bill for Ukraine aid as much as possible and US politicians just want to get elected. I just hope the EU will step up if Trump wins and US abandons Ukraine completely.

It's a shame if Ukraine falls as to me there seems to be an obvious good vs evil narrative here. Ukraine is an innocent victim of a thug (Putin) and the rest of the world should support them.

Compare and contrast to the Gaza situation where both sides are behaving badly. Both sides hate each other to the extent I can't see any peace coming ever. Even the two state 'solution' is out the window these days, so where does that leave us? Either eternal apartheid or constant conflict or possibly ethnic cleansing by chasing the Palestinians off over time.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I

I'm not disputing any of that, but I think there are many people for whom enlightened self-interest will not hold water. Views like what Marjorie-Taylor Green espouses in the article are more common than you might think. Perhaps the people who attribute our political problems to lead poisoning among older people are correct.

Actually I am the first here when it comes to posting polling data. Therefore I am quite aware that this position is quite common. However my point was that such positions have practical and financial consequences. What is part of equation that most tend to forget about.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
For now, the EU is just trying to get the US to foot the bill for Ukraine aid as much as possible and US politicians just want to get elected. I just hope the EU will step up if Trump wins and US abandons Ukraine completely.

I don't see it that way. The bulk of US help for Ukraine got stuck in internal US politics (for something like half a year at this point). However Ukraine still holds the line despite that. What is because US support has dropped, but over last 2 years of war EU managed to bring online military production of decent size. Which is increasing further.

However It would really be nice that US fully kicks in once again, since that should cause an overload in Russian defenses and the mess would be over much sooner. Actually since day one EU has the dominant tempo when it comes to none military aid such as taking millions of refugees, maintaining and fixing power grid that is being targeted over and over, moral boost by giving Ukraine EU candidate status ... etc. Therefore as it is now it just can't be said that Europe as a whole is some kind of freeloader that just want for US to foot the bill. However if both sides of the Atlantic start to send military support at the same time that should overwhelm the Russians pretty quickly.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually I am the first here when it comes to posting polling data. Therefore I am quite aware that this position is quite common. However my point was that such positions have practical and financial consequences. What is part of equation that most tend to forget about.
I guess we'll find out in November.

However, my opinion of voters is pretty negative; they usually vote based on charisma or other attributes that have nothing to do with policy, foreign or domestic. They don't sit and think "oh, perhaps we should do this because of x, y, and z". They don't even say "oh, we should do this because we've always done this". They vote based on how the candidate makes them feel when they talk. Weighing options and thinking about outcomes has nothing to do with it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I guess we'll find out in November.

However, my opinion of voters is pretty negative; they usually vote based on charisma or other attributes that have nothing to do with policy, foreign or domestic. They don't sit and think "oh, perhaps we should do this because of x, y, and z". They don't even say "oh, we should do this because we've always done this". They vote based on how the candidate makes them feel when they talk. Weighing options and thinking about outcomes has nothing to do with it.

Yes, we will evidently find out in November.

What can I say ? US is "image" based country and that is direct consequence of that.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP

Israeli military is tracking approach of more than 100 drones, official says​

An Israeli military official told a briefing Saturday night that more than 100 drones had been launched towards Israel from Iran.
Their approach towards Israel is being tracked and all necessary steps were being taken to defend the country, the official added.
The official said Israel was watching other “apparatus” that Iran potentially could be launching as well.
“We are following the other launch capabilities that Iran has at this at this time. I can't confirm anything positive regarding other munitions beyond the drone, explosive drones that Iran has launched at us," the official said.
The official added that the drones were expected to arrive in the following hours. And more waves of drones were possible as time progresses, the official added.
In preparation for what may come, Israel had conducted some GPS scrambling, as well as close Israeli airspace, the official said.
“We have a very strong defensive posture in order to address anything flying towards Israel," the official added.