• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Classic don't know if I'm an INFJ or INFP what's new

wildhoneys

Y’all I am embarrassed by the length of this.

Oh, well.

I am having one hell of a time deciding if I am INFP or INFJ. It is driving me crazy, honestly. I am taking this MBTI stuff way too seriously at the moment lol. I wrote as much as I thought might be needed. Probably way too much, my bad.

I will mention, I have read tons of articles and other forums on the differences between INFJ and INFP. I have looked at each function and the meanings behind them. I still cannot decide. I identify with a lot of key traits in both the types.
I am open to all opinions on this. Even if you might feel I am neither of these types! Thank you in advance!

I can tell you now, my attention to detail is awful. I have lived in the same area all 20 years of my life and I cannot remember how to get anywhere. I can look directly at something and still not see it. I’m also probably the most bodily awkward person ever. Clumsiness is me.

I am haunted by nostalgia and memories. It is a huge factor of who I am. I have a very hard time with change and getting out of my comfort zone. When I am stressed or overwhelmed by change, I can sit and reminisce for hours. I have a hard time letting things go. I do feel like some of these things might be because of growing up with severe Social Anxiety Disorder and I know you can’t apply mental illnesses to a type so I don’t know? I know living in the past is huge no-no for INFJs as well so

I am a very internal, private person. I hold on very tightly to my inner world and even though it saddens me that no one will truly know me, I am possessive over it and I would never want anyone to be privy to the inner me and my emotions in anyway. I have a vast world in my head, my place – my sanctuary. I recede to that place about 80% of the time. A lot of times I feel I am not truly present. I am known for being deep in a conversation with people and there will be a short pause and suddenly I’m worlds away. My ISTP brother jokes about it all the time and says I have a very intense, zoned out-look on my face and it’s actually kind of scary looking haha.

I feel thinks very intensely and it can be overwhelming at times. I don’t really voice aloud how I feel, but most of the time I am a mess over something. I feel very awkward and uncomfortable talking about myself and my emotions, but emotions don’t put me off. If that makes sense. I love listening to people and being there for someone and helping them understand their feelings, but me? No way. I’d rather keep that to myself.

I am very empathetic and in-tune with people’s feelings. Almost to the point where it causes myself distress and for me to go to extremes for others not to get hurt. I have done things that I really did not want to do just because I could not say no in fear of hurting their feelings. (again, the not being able to say no part could be due to my social anxiety disorder) I have been in very intense, uncomfortable positions because of this and have done things that have completely changed my life just because I couldn’t say no.

I also have this thing where I excuse a lot of bullshit from people because I see and know their potential. They can be a horrible person, but I just see this light in them, what I know they can be, and it makes me feel as if that really is them. Like I fall in love with this vulnerable, hidden side of someone. It’s not a good trait of mine, in my opinion.

I don’t really know how to describe this – and people actually get a bit upset with me when I say it – but I can understand and experience the feelings and emotions of almost anyone in any given situation. I just feel it. I can pick up when somethings not right with a friend or relative immediately. I always know when I’m being lied to or about to be lied too. I can read people like a book. I can guess their actions and words before they say or do it. This is definitely picked up stronger with people I know though. I’m constantly observing and nothing ever slips by me. I observe people, that is. I also get notions about things that are almost always right, though I can never explain why and it frustrates people. I can only describe it as a feeling I get. I just know. It freaks me the hell out myself sometimes.

I have also realized that when I am reading, I tend to mimic the emotions of the characters on my face. Especially very emotional, intense moments. It’s kind of embarrassing. There have even been times where I have put a book down and placed my hand over my mouth and head into a pillow acting like I was crying and feeling like I was crying because a character was, only to realize what I was doing and then having a major what the fuck moment lol. I know weird, right? I’ll do it as well when I am walking and deep in thought. I’m not very aware of it though and it takes a lot for me to suppress it. I have caught people giving me very odd looks haha.

I tend to subconsciously blurt out facts and the correct answers to things when people are wrong about something and can be very literal and logical at times, even if I don’t rationalize in my head what so ever. It probably makes no sense, and this part feels like a contradiction to how I go about things in life, but sometimes I just do it. Only with friends and family though because, again, I don’t like hurting people’s feelings and will not voice the matter unless it’s something serious.

I am a landmine with one thing and one thing only. I have very liberal views and can spit fire when people are being sexists, racists, or just plain ignorant. I cannot stand mindless cruelty and dangerous ignorance and I will respond heatedly – feelings be damned. It takes a lot of restraint for me not to voice my opinion on things like this. Though I won’t bring it up or talk about it unless someone else does first.

I am not one to lead the way in life. I am happy being in the background, cheering others on. A lot of times this can hold me back on moments in life though, I am aware of that. I feel like it keeps me from reaching my full potential. I have a hard time taking things by storm and just doing. I’m always second guessing everything. I’m way too indecisive. I feel like I am more prone to staying in my comfort zone and not going after what I want than the other way around; that scares me sometimes.

And that brings me into another part of myself that is infuriating. I can never decide on anything because I overanalyze everything. I am constantly second guessing myself. It is madness. It stresses me out quite a bit. It has made me an extreme perfectionist to the point where I won’t even do things because there’s no way I can do it to my high ass standards. I overanalyze myself – how I feel and think. I overanalyze the intentions of others and how they truly feel towards me. This is probably the main thing that really gets on my nerves about myself lol.

I must plan things out. I am not one for improvising at all. I even think about what I’m going to say so intensely that it rushes out of my mouth a jumbled mess. If I were to be put on the spot and say whatever, I would probably freak out. (again, this could be learned behavior because of social anxiety). If I am having time to myself and something occurs that I did not have planned, I can become highly irritated and cruel.

I am a curious, childish soul. I have an insatiable curiosity and I feel like I can’t rest until I know everything possible. I crave knowledge. My mind is an endless jumble of questions and analyzes of the world and I can talk for hours about symbolism and abstract ideas just as easily as facts, theories, and concrete ideas. I am constantly taking in information and breaking it down. My mind never stops. It’s like I can feel my subconscious, however weird that may sound. My ENFJ mother always reminds me what I was as a child and I feel like I never lost that spark; it’s just been repressed a bit. She said I was a free spirit that never stopped exploring ideas and asking questions. I remember going to the library and taking home the limit of 30 books, almost all of them fantasy. I read to the point where it was almost becoming a problem. To this day, I have a bit of a problem with collecting books haha.

Basically, my mind is a crazy, jumbled mess that never shuts the hell up; and for some reason I feel that knowing my MBTI would help me grasp what is up with me lol.

God, the number of I’s in this post. Cringe. I know this is a lot and I probably am coming off quite narcissistic, but I need to know. Its driving me. Up. The. Wall. I have been leaning more towards INFP, but I just don’t know.

Goodness, this is a mess :huh: lol.

I am a bit new to this, so I could be wrong on a lot of things. Please let me know what your opinion is.
Again, sorry. I know this is a lot. Please don’t judge me heh heh.

Thank you! :D

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
moved to "what's my type" subforum.

if you removed the conservative sounding language from isfj profiles about how well would they fit?

wildhoneys

Oh, apologies! I didn't pay attention enough.

I have given ISFJ some thought in the past when I first found out about MBTI, but it just never hit home all the way. I''ll be honest though, I've never looked at the functions of an ISFJ until now and I can definitely see it in ways. I don't really identify with Si as a dom though. I can't recall past memories with amazing detail or do I need a strict routine. I just have a deep longing for things I know will never be the same and hate things being unexpectantly thrown at me. I do love my comfort zone, but again, I think that has to do with my anxiety struggles.

And I view my internal world as a very huge part of who I am. I'm a bit of a dreamer. I've always found that very INxx, but then again, I'm very new to all of this.

Oh, no. Now I have another type to stress over. :unsure: