• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christians Against Dinosaurs

XV25

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Okay a few things.

You can get your hands on a real fossil from that era right now on the internet right now. Ammonites were common and so are their remains. Mineral replacement of bone is a thing, and fossils are a thing. I'm not sure if these people are saying all fossils are fake or just dinosaur ones, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Much of the criticism seems to be placed on something that happened, like what, 100 years ago? How is that at all relevant to the science today. General relativity and not been proposed by then, women couldn't vote, and yet its recent enough to damn an entire field of science? Not buying it. They are grasping at straws. At one point in time, people had no idea what the planets were or what their relationship to Earth was. Over time models were made describing them and a lot of them were wrong. But no one, after understanding the geocentric model was wrong, went "well geez the sun doesn't go around the Earth, guess there is no sun." People got more information and made a better model. The details of how these dinosaurs actually looked has been screwed up for a long time, sure. You can only do so much with 20% of a skeleton. But you can still conclude that the animal existed, and when it existed. How many animals are around today with a tyrannosaur-like skull? You don't need 100% of a skeleton to conclude the animal this skull came from was big and scary and isn't around today.

On the subject of copies, I'm willing to bet you have never seen the original US Constitution or Declaration of Independence (still relevant even if you are not American), that you have only ever seen copies either digitally or in print. I'm also willing to bet that you would not dismiss the existence of these documents because you personally have not seen the originals. A plaster copy is a copy, which means there is an original. And I don't believe they fake most of the originals either. Evil, money-grubbing institutions are not your friend, but they are not friends of each other either. You can bet if one museum has fake fossils, their competition would find out and make it public to discredit them. I don't hear of that happening all too often, so I conclude there probably are not too many fake exhibits, at least not in the major museums. Certainly not enough to discredit the idea of dinosaurs being things that existed.

I no you said you believe dinosaurs exit, but what about the rest of it. I can't tell what is devil's advocate and what you think. Are museums faking the exhibits? Are our current models of what dinosaurs look like wrong?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay a few things.

You can get your hands on a real fossil from that era right now on the internet right now. Ammonites were common and so are their remains. Mineral replacement of bone is a thing, and fossils are a thing. I'm not sure if these people are saying all fossils are fake or just dinosaur ones, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Dinosaur fossils are fake. The illuminati conjured them with their dark magic and buried them throughout various parts of the world so weak people would deny the existence of the one true God!!!

Honestly though, you can't reason with these people. They'll always come up with one more ridiculous reason to believe the way they do.

sorenx7

I must point out once again that thinking that the young earth creationism group represents Christianity as a whole is not entirely accurate. There are plenty of Christians who believe in old earth creationism. Even Pat Robertson thinks young earth creationism is ridiculous. I look at this as something comparable to the snake handling group in Christianity. They're real enough, but how many people actually take that seriously? Not many I would hope. I don't know how many people believe in young earth creationism, but I hope that number isn't large. In my life, I've only had one friend who was a young earth creationist. He and I agreed on a lot of other things, but not that. In his case, he was an engineer who told me he had problems with Carbon 14 dating.

Mole

Permabanned
It's not just Dinosaurs, it's Neanderthals, it's Homo Floresiensis, it's Denisovans, they all make a mockery of the Christian story.

Did Jesus come to save Homo Sapiens, the Neanderthals, Homo Floresiensis, and the Denisovans? It beggars belief.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know if someone actually can read and understand the Bible, instead of only listening to a self anointed pastor, this kind of stuff wouldn't happen. I know there were corruptions in the Catholic Church, but I think the RCC and Orthodox Christianity are two of the branches a person can actually trust to be a source of real theology.

You know, another thing evangelical protestants twisted to their own ends, besides dinosaurs, gays, and prostitutes, is the complete dismissal of fasting, self control, respect for creation, and disregarding gluttony as a sin that harms people, just like greed. Its easier if I post something I wrote elsewhere in response to an appalling "Christian" defense of factory farming:

I'm a Christian and really know my Bible and religious history (though I'm not bragging and certainly don't claim to be an expert or theologian)...and let me just say, that in Genesis, everyone was vegan. Meat was only allowed after the great flood, due to environmental conditions and only then with strict rules: no pork, no shellfish, no inhumane animal suffering, no combining milk and meat (to boil a kid in its own mother's milk), and no blood. Also the concept of animal sacrifice was NOT because God rejoices in killing creation, but to teach the selfish Israelites to value animal products as sacred, not to be taken for granted, and belonging ultimately to God. Sort of like Native American people praying over an animal and using every part. Eating flesh wasn't to be taken lightly.

That's why there's a lot of fasting in the Bible. Fasts usually involved giving up animal products. Orthodox Christians are still mostly vegan during Lenten season, no dairy or eggs, and there's even restrictions on oil and wine. It's a very strict fast, that is only not vegan but pescetarian, because small amounts of invertebrates are allowed. Like mussels or prawns.

Catholics also traditionally see "Carne" as a luxury that should be given up during fasts, in which they're only allowed moderate amounts of fish (likely because Jesus ate fish) but very small portions of mostly vegetarian food.

Orthodox Christians and Catholics do these things because their clergy actually have to be theologians, and fasting is essential to Christianity and there was never even verse that said "meat free for all."

In fact, the prophet Daniel and his men served God on a diet of "only vegetables" and were supposedly stronger than the kings men fed on a rich diet.

In Isaiah, the future Paradise is described as bloodless, and vegetarian.

Jewish people to this day, especially in Israel are especially conscious of food law, and are so likely to be vegan that the Israeli army now has vegan options.

The problem comes in the New Testament, when it says man is defiled by what comes out of his mouth, not what he puts into it. It's seriously like one passage ignorant protestants have taken out of context to justify gluttony, refusal to fast, and out of control meat eating since the mid-20th century.

Nevermind, that ALSO in the New Testament, in Romans, Paul says, if what I eat or drink causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again.

So it would appear that the Old Testament ideal was either vegan or vegetarian, flesh eating was not to be taken lightly, and pretty much nowhere in the Bible justifies animal cruelty, factory farms, or gluttony. Seriously, I own a Green Bible, where all passages about animals or creation are highlighted in green, and God loves the animals too, there's another passage in the Old Testament where God chastised a man for beating his donkey, then gives the donkey the power of speech.

The human-centered interpretation of the Bible stems from secular humanism, not Christianity. Notice that strict old fashioned groups like the Amish live very lightly upon the earth.

There's a huge evangelical Christian Steward movement now to teach protestant evangelicals that stewardship or dominion, is a responsibility, not just a wanton privilege to abuse the earth or animals.

Pope Francis has also asked Catholics to eat less meat.

If you ask me what is likely a more scriptural Christian diet, it's vegetarian or pescetarian.

I'm certainly not perfect myself, I have a problem with being abrasive, but this is actually SYSTEMIC defense of ignorance and sin, not individual struggles.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Dinosaur fossils are fake. The illuminati conjured them with their dark magic and buried them throughout various parts of the world so weak people would deny the existence of the one true God!!!

Honestly though, you can't reason with these people. They'll always come up with one more ridiculous reason to believe the way they do.

Actually we can totally turn this around for good. We can now say people have to stop using fossil fuels because it comes from dark arts. It's a win/win.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually we can totally turn this around for good. We can now say people have to stop using fossil fuels because it comes from dark arts. It's a win/win.

But then we'll have a bunch of edgy teenagers trying to summon demons by burning fossil fuels.