• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Choosing the right path

PoetryAndMusic

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have been in a very confusing place over the past year, quite the disturbing ordeal since I have always been very decisive and now I seem to be unable to make up my mind about anything.

I had been certain I wanted to embrace my artistic side by following a career in architecture and interior design. However, I recently started realising how much I enjoy anything on literature and linguistics and I thought that perhaps I made the wrong choice.

Perhaps I should follow the theoretical path, take theoretical studies and maybe make a living as a high school teacher or a professor (if I take my studies to the next level, phD etc). My parents are both teachers (although they advice me not to follow their path), so I am more familiar with the struggles of a teacher. Design, architecture and such are entirely unknown, new to me. Writing also seems extremely appealing to me, since I often find myself writing in order to express myself or unwind.

I always have been talented in that area, but I recently started paying closer attention to architecture and art, something more practical than the completely theoretical studies that drew my attention. I found architecture so compelling at first, but now I seem to have lost that initial passion.

In addition, it appears I am not passionate about either option. Being quite the perfectionist, I wanted to have the perfect job for me, I wanted to wake up in the morning and feel excited to go to work, I wanted to draw pleasure from my profession. That would require being passionate about it and I am not passionate about either of these professions, maybe due to the fact that I cannot devote myself to either until I have made up my mind.

I have discussed this with a lot of people, but I would be open to any piece of additional advice, because I am still stuck, having made no progress. I would also like to know which of these professions would be more appropriate, more beneficial for an INFJ such as myself. Any thoughts?

KitchenFly

I thought I was listening to the writing of an INFJ.

Well as I read between the lines one option draws all point together, why not research an area of architecture and design and both write a book and make short 25 minute chat like documentary like critiques a commentary program of several episodes, to quench the educator within that seeks to shear and enlighten. problem solved.

Cheers

PoetryAndMusic

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought I was listening to the writing of an INFJ.

Well as I read between the lines one option draws all point together, why not research an area of architecture and design and both write a book and make short 25 minute chat like documentary like critiques a commentary program of several episodes, to quench the educator within that seeks to shear and enlighten. problem solved.

Cheers

First of all, thank you for your reply. That would be pretty much having the best of both worlds. I certainly would love to be able to combine architecture and linguistics in my life. However, I am still not sure which of the two is the one I should focus on, at least as far as studying at uni goes. One of the two would have to be my main job and the other would have to be my hobby. I used to know which one would be which. And then I started doubting my choice. Architecture also includes a lot of maths and physics as well, which I am good at, but I don't enjoy. Also, I started doubting I could even imagine myself becoming an architect. However, does this mean I am actually qualified to follow a path that is entirely different? I did have what you mentioned in mind, I just still couldn't make a final decision. In addition to that, I keep telling myself I have changed my mind, but I don't do anything to change the route my life has taken. I always pull back in the end because of my uncertainty. I lack boldness, the strength taking risks requires. Instead, I keep losing more and more precious time retaining the exact state of mind I had months ago (which is drowning in doubt apparently), moving towards neither of the two and risking a possible failure in either. Anyway, I am still glad you took some time to reply to me, even if I still didn't make my final choice, so thank you very much.
:hug:

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been in your same position. You can always choose one and do the other on the side, but it seems that you are unable to do that. Hey, you could be an art teacher that teaches courses on architecture!
You should pick the one you feel most comfortable with, the one that calms you and the one you are truly passionate about.

P.S Sorry for the nitpicking but 2w9 doesn't exist in enneagram, wings are the two numbers that are one away from they number. If you're a 9 it's either 9w1 or 9w8, if it's 2 then 2w1 or 2w3.

PoetryAndMusic

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been in your same position. You can always choose one and do the other on the side, but it seems that you are unable to do that. Hey, you could be an art teacher that teaches courses on architecture!
You should pick the one you feel most comfortable with, the one that calms you and the one you are truly passionate about.

P.S Sorry for the nitpicking but 2w9 doesn't exist in enneagram, wings are the two numbers that are one away from they number. If you're a 9 it's either 9w1 or 9w8, if it's 2 then 2w1 or 2w3.

Thank you for your kind words and for pointing out my mistake about the enneagram thing. I will dwell on my issue for a few more days, but I am going to make my choice very soon. I am grateful for your offer to help. :hug:

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
A bit late, but my thoughts as an INFJ with enneagram 1 as well : You will never ever be fully sure of whatever choice you make. I think that's our essence and what keeps us going. It's in our nature to doubt things, to second guess, to wonder what might have happened or what can still happen. To have good and bad days. I am definitely not the type who goes happily to work every day. It's a good thing to have more than one passion anyway. You can always do 1 thing as a profession and have other passions outside of that. Also, I've been working in the same field for 15 years (IT) but I'll never claim that's what I'll be doing for eternity.

PoetryAndMusic

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A bit late, but my thoughts as an INFJ with enneagram 1 as well : You will never ever be fully sure of whatever choice you make. I think that's our essence and what keeps us going. It's in our nature to doubt things, to second guess, to wonder what might have happened or what can still happen. To have good and bad days. I am definitely not the type who goes happily to work every day. It's a good thing to have more than one passion anyway. You can always do 1 thing as a profession and have other passions outside of that. Also, I've been working in the same field for 15 years (IT) but I'll never claim that's what I'll be doing for eternity.

Yes, I suppose you're right. Of course I am still in the process of figuring out what I would rather have as a hobby and what I would rather have as an actual job, but I guess the problem so far has been that I see all the flaws of each choice. Perhaps, taking into consideration what you mentioned about always wondering what could have been, I should be more optimistic and believe that either path will have a positive effect on me. This way, once I make me choice I will elliminate any second thoughts and just move on. Thank you for taking the time to reply and for adding your personal experience, it actually helped. :hug: