• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Check your type before you wreck your type – are you an ISFJ?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Quoting myself because this post is perfect and I think the closet I've ever come to properly explaining Si, which can be hard to articulate.

Si is very similar to Ni, but instead of drawing its archetypes from some sort of collective unconscious, it creates its own archetypes from experience, and these archetypes do not change. Because if archetypes can change, then what the hecky is the entire point of having an archetype in the first place? It becomes completely useless and the world is chaotic.

For example, from my experience, a chair has legs, a seat and a back. Does it have all of these qualities? Congrats, it's a chair. Missing one? Not a chair. Ever. So imagine you show me a barstool. It has legs. It has a seat. No back. It's not a chair. And you can argue with me all day long, but I will never, ever classify it as a chair because it does not meet the archetype's qualities, and archetypes never can change or else they become meaningless. Si can be extremely stubborn about this.

BUT, since these archetypes are based off of personal experience, one Si user's archetype won't necessarily match another's. Maybe to me, a chair has legs, a seat and a back so a barstool is not a chair. But maybe to another Si type, a chair only needs legs and a seat, so a barstool is a chair. And we can argue all day, but neither of us are going to compromise, because we take these archetypes very seriously. The whole point of an archetype is that it is constant, eternal, never changing. If we can change a definition or an archetype whenever we want, then they lose all meaning. This is why sometimes people can find Si frustrating or "stuck in its ways," but it really does depend on the individual Si types' archetypes and personal experience. Older SJs will have archetypes that look very different from younger SJ's archetypes because they grew up in a different time period and had vastly different experiences that structured those archetypes.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What about inferior Ne? How is it like?

I can see something in the archetype part. It would be confusing to have Ne constantly trying to change it and suggesting a new one.

My Ne is very clearly much weaker than my Si. It's not strong enough to have a voice when it comes to trying to change archetypes and gets shut down immediately. Inferior Ne, at least for me, is basically a paradox. Sometimes I'm stuck and I know what I have to do to get out of it, but instead I dig my heels into the ground stubbornly and refuse to make a move. Basically, I simultaneously claim to "know the future" (that "every possible move I can make will lead to something terrible"), while at the same time claiming that I don't know the future (so how could I possible make a decision?). This circular thinking is blind to me but clear to others, who will often point it out to me when I'm in an inferior Ne panic. In short: I can't act because I hate the result, but I don't know the result.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In your experience what seperates tert Ne from inferior Ne?. As a possible xSFJ this would be useful.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In your experience what seperates tert Ne from inferior Ne?. As a possible xSFJ this would be useful.

That's a harder one for me to answer, seeing as there's a slight possibility I'm ESFJ, at least to some members. :shrug: It's hard for me to answer that one since I don't have the required experience for a reliable comparison.

Alternatively I would frame it like this: The middle two functions are more balanced than not. ISFJ's aux and tert are Fe/Ti, and ESFJ's aux and tert are Si/Ne. As an ISFJ, my Fe/Ti is pretty well balanced; for the ESFJ it would be Si/Ne, though perceiving functions in my experience are harder to both describe and recognize. In which case, I'd say that if you think your Si/Ne is quite balanced, then you'd more likely be ESFJ than ISFJ. And in your case specifically, I'd say that if you're not an ENTP, then you're an ESFJ.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd like to think Si as an anchor for SJ's role is to make sure that the ideas aren't moving too swiftly into utter chaos.

While new anchors are made every generation, the currents of the fast winds of intuition can then be made to push the human race at a comfortable pace rather than too fast to utter extinction.

That's how I at least see it in the grand scheme of things.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, at least this dismisses my doubt of being an ISFJ. While I sometimes do that too, the conflict from Ti-Fe is much more prominent in me.
Thank you :blush:

Never hurts to check your type in case you wreck your type right? :yes: Glad I could help!

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
That's a harder one for me to answer, seeing as there's a slight possibility I'm ESFJ, at least to some members. :shrug: It's hard for me to answer that one since I don't have the required experience for a reliable comparison.

Alternatively I would frame it like this: The middle two functions are more balanced than not. ISFJ's aux and tert are Fe/Ti, and ESFJ's aux and tert are Si/Ne. As an ISFJ, my Fe/Ti is pretty well balanced; for the ESFJ it would be Si/Ne, though perceiving functions in my experience are harder to both describe and recognize. In which case, I'd say that if you think your Si/Ne is quite balanced, then you'd more likely be ESFJ than ISFJ. And in your case specifically, I'd say that if you're not an ENTP, then you're an ESFJ.

Out of curiosity which do I vibe more overall ENTP or ESFJ?. There is an ongoing debate with half arguing I am ENTP and the other half ESFJ. I relate more to balanced Ti/Fe than balanced Si/Ne though so ENTP is probably more likey or even a oddly ENTPish ISFJ.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Out of curiosity which do I vibe more overall ENTP or ESFJ?. There is an ongoing debate with half arguing I am ENTP and the other half ESFJ. I relate more to balanced Ti/Fe than balanced Si/Ne though so ENTP is probably more likey or even a oddly ENTPish ISFJ.

All I get are vibes of FeNe. As of right now I could see you as either, but I have no strong opinion yet.