• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Books intjs recommend to read

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
I noticed this type usually points out great books to read. thought this would be a good thread to start and find out what you guys would recommend to read.:D

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The shallows: what the internet is doing to our brains. (by Nicolas Carr)

When you read this book the whole world starts to make more sense.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
curious what it else it might go over. maybe something like with the introduction of the internet and bringing worlds closer together that there would be a new age of enlightment but instead bridge the cult of ignorance to a wider group of people who try an imprint their message on young minds before the mind becomes set in its ways. Like where iit shuts down the acceptance of new information in constant defence of its default idealism?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Any thread that has to do with reading books is a thread Im interested in! Need a new one.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
Any thread that has to do with reading books is a thread Im interested in! Need a new one.

i seen the peeps on here give out some good book titles. i was attempting to spark this thread again because i would like to see what other titles they would throw out there.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I'm very much into nonfiction feedback would be great. I know our fellow INTJ's very much understand us in that regard. :D

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would help if people made more specific requests, e.g. genres of even specific topics of interest to focus recommendations. Otherwise you might get rather voluminous lists from some of us.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
It would help if people made more specific requests, e.g. genres of even specific topics of interest to focus recommendations. Otherwise you might get rather voluminous lists from some of us.

i think for myself, im craving something educational and historical variety with no confirmation bias and accuracy but kind of is represenitive to our current time. Please, thank you.:D

anything is fine.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yeah I'm very much into nonfiction feedback would be great. I know our fellow INTJ's very much understand us in that regard. :D

I too, love nonfiction and primarily read only that. Do you have a specific topic that interest you? I'm currently reading - The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis - I would recommend it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
i think for myself, im craving something educational and historical variety with no confirmation bias and accuracy but kind of is represenitive to our current time. Please, thank you.:D

anything is fine.

Ok, how about Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Yes it's the book that made the musical and yes it's a book about a historical figure but it's written wonderfully. Even though we all know how it ends, you can't help but say out loud - You dumbass! What a stupid way to die!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Here's a few more and I'm off to bed to read.

Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King
The Last Lion by William Manchester then Paul Reid, after he died.
Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain and Not Tonight, Josephine: A Road Trip Through Small-Town America by George Mahood.
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
The Taste of Conquest: The Rise and Fall of the Three Great Cities of Spice by Michael Krondl

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I too, love nonfiction and primarily read only that. Do you have a specific topic that interest you? I'm currently reading - The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis - I would recommend it.

Not now, I'll start with your recommendation and I'll probably get back to you with my topic of interest

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
curious what it else it might go over. maybe something like with the introduction of the internet and bringing worlds closer together that there would be a new age of enlightment but instead bridge the cult of ignorance to a wider group of people who try an imprint their message on young minds before the mind becomes set in its ways. Like where iit shuts down the acceptance of new information in constant defence of its default idealism?

Actually the book goes much deeper than cheap ideology. The book claims that internet in the way it is designed unables/prevents the real processing of information. Since it trains the mind to search for information instead of processing information. Therefore people search for more and more simplified information in order to satisfy the need for search in the time they have. While at the same time they spend most of their thinking on evaluating the source and thinking if they can find something batter ... instead of thinking about the actual information. What leads to large scale social problems simply because people have harder and harder time to concentrate on more complicated tasks or to linearly read the books that are much more likely to have checked information (since there is no instant satisfaction). What leads to mass incompetence and ADHD world.

For me it was very interesting book since from what I see it is pretty correct in it's diagnosis.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
Actually the book goes much deeper than cheap ideology. The book claims that internet in the way it is designed unables/prevents the real processing of information. Since it trains the mind to search for information instead of processing information. Therefore people search for more and more simplified information in order to satisfy the need for search in the time they have. While at the same time they spend most of their thinking on evaluating the source and thinking if they can find something batter ... instead of thinking about the actual information. What leads to large scale social problems simply because people have harder and harder time to concentrate on more complicated tasks or to linearly read the books that are much more likely to have checked information (since there is no instant satisfaction). What leads to mass incompetence and ADHD world.

For me it was very interesting book since from what I see it is pretty correct in it's diagnosis.

yea it was an attempt to get this thread going again. this sounds very interesting. thank you ghost.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp

For me... Ill read lots.

Fiction... anything that isnt super predictable- like read the first chapter and then can use that to guess pretty accurately whats gunna happen next and next and next until you het to the end- which you feel like you have known since the beginning.... predictability makes reading fiction feel like a chore really. So anything that isnt super... like that.

And then non-fiction... anything I can understand. Anything where... I dont know. I often usually have more issues with non-fi tion though because Ill go a page and then something will be introduced and then I read about it and then want to know MORE about it than what is in the book- so then go internet searching and totally forget to go back to what Im reading.

So but yeah. Cant say IM NOT picky... in some ways I am but yeah- well...

Here's a few more and I'm off to bed to read.

Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King
The Last Lion by William Manchester then Paul Reid, after he died.
Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain and Not Tonight, Josephine: A Road Trip Through Small-Town America by George Mahood.
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
The Taste of Conquest: The Rise and Fall of the Three Great Cities of Spice by Michael Krondl

I read unbroken after my mom recommended it to me- that was pretty good. Gotta look into the rest.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Best thing I have ever read

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I went through my Kindle and I have a few more non-fiction to add.

The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World's Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua Hammer
The Angry Island: Hunting the English by AA Gill
Radical: My Journey out of Islamist Extremism by Maajid Nawaz
McMafia by Misha Glenny
Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition by Daniel Okrent
Capital Dames: The Civil War and the Women of Washington, 1848-1868 by Cokie Roberts

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

anything is fine.

Have you every read any of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories?
I used to hate reading until I started reading Holmes.