• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Blood Music"

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
by Greg Bear

Anyone read it? I just did and it was amazing, I want to read more by him. It's like 30 pages but felt like 10. Ooh and has anyone read any of his other stuff?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
by Greg Bear Anyone read it? I just did and it was amazing, I want to read more by him. It's like 30 pages but felt like 10. Ooh and has anyone read any of his other stuff?

I read it a LONG time ago... both the short story AND the book. (It might have been in the 80's?) I wish I could remember much of it.

Isn't it about cells coming to life, somehow he triggered them to have awareness inside of him? My memory is a little foggy.

If you are into old sci-fi, the current movie tie-in is with Richard Matheson's "I am Legend".... about the last man left alive on a vampire-filled world. I think he wrote it in the 60's (I don't think it was the 50's).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yea, this researcher is part of a project and finds out using this nano bots you can fix things or evolve creatures. He injects them into some bacteria mixes it with his blood and then they evolve and he becomes like a planet. And they start civilizations. They act like he's a planet they become philosophical even.

Hmm maybe that's the book I'll get for the train ride home.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I read Blood Music twenty-some years ago, and it was in fact one of the best books I've read. I read the full-length book - I wasn't aware there was a short story. It's one of those rare books that takes an incredible concept and makes it believable. I think this was in large part because of the well-developed, tangible characters.

Don't know why I never read anything else by Bear, but now that you bring it up...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Hmmm maybe it was an excerpt. It was for class, normally I hate assigned reading. But I actually managed to get through this one. I should go get the book. It did seem to end a bit abruptly, though I was still satisfied with it ending.

So I was looking at the story and read the intro and in it said

a Nebula Hugo Award for his famous story "Blood Music", which was later expanded into a novel of the same title,

So yeah it's both.