• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best of MST3K

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
How have I not gotten into this yet? I mean... I've heard of MST 3000 before, and it's been recommended, but I have never actually watched it. (finds nearest cave to live out the rest of my life in)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Rock em sock em archeologists

Skinwalker! Texas Skin Ranger!

How have I not gotten into this yet? I mean... I've heard of MST 3000 before, and it's been recommended, but I have never actually watched it. (finds nearest cave to live out the rest of my life in)

I recommend Space Mutiny.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Suddenly, I miss my Dad....

Strange remake of Jane Eyre

----------

On a side note, I just found out Linda Griffiths, Raul Julia's costar from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, passed away in 2014. Bummer

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On a side note, I just found out Linda Griffiths, Raul Julia's costar from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, passed away in 2014. Bummer

That's too bad... I found her kind of cute, especially when she holds those tablets.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
"The horror of party beach."

Towards the end the movie loses daylight continuity, jumping back and forth from sundown to late afternoon.

"Meanwhile, later that night, earlier in the afternoon, before the- what the hell is going on here?"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has anyone watched the revival season on netflix yet?

I have only watched the first episode (reptilicus), but overall, it's good, if a bit uneven--a few stretches of "meh" moments where the jokes just didn't work, but several really funny ones as well. It does feel a lot like classic Joel era (they brought back invention exchange, which had been abandoned when the show moved to Sc-Fi channel), with a few nods to Mike era as well. The riffing started out a bit slow, but I was rolling once they got into it, especially with the Danish Andy Griffith comic relief guy wearing overalls. At times there were too many riffs in quick succession, making it hard to process one joke before another showed up, but that can be fixed by repeat viewings, and we know most MST3K fans tend to watch their favorite episodes multiple times--I still sometimes hear riffs in classic episodes that I missed the first time viewing. I saw this criticism in a few reviews and I think it is in part due to the fact they have A LOT of writers and guest writers trying to get their jokes included, so it may have been difficult choosing the best. I hope the writing room on the revival isn't going to become dominated by comedians trying to ride the pop culture wave of being associated with MST3K, and there's certainly a such thing as too many cooks in the kitchen. That said, it seems everyone who has been involved have been huge fans of the original, so I assume they're doing this out of love.

So far I like Jonah as the new host. He reminds me a bit of Joel in his dry, somewhat deadpan sarcasm but also a bit of the goofy boyish charm of Mike, but he also seems to bring some of himself into it, so it doesn't just feel like he's standing on the shoulders of giants. To me, the new Crow sounded A LOT like Trace Bealieu's Crow from the Comedy Central era, so it really added a vintage feel to the riffing. Tom is good but at times I had difficulty discerning his and Jonah's voices during the riffing, but I assume the actors are still growing into the parts and getting accustomed, as it also took Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy several episodes to really make the robots their own when they took over from their predecessors.

The mads are good--Felicia Day seems a natural successor to Dr. Forrester and Pearl, and although I was nervous about Patton Oswalt, he seemed to be enjoying himself and did a good job of not making it the Patton Oswalt comedy hour, considering he's probably the biggest name attached to this project.

I can't wait to watch StarCrash. I never understood why they didn't take it on during the classic MST3K run. It's the perfect balance of semi-watchable B movie and cheesy dialogue/FX that BEGS for a good riffing. I hope it's as good as Space Mutiny, there's A LOT to work with in that movie.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I watched the reptile thing on Netflix. I just turned it on for background noise and it didn't turn into anything more. I'll probably continue to use these movies as background noise and see what comes of it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Carnival Magic is my favorite so far. A family film about a talking chimp who sounds like Slingblade and whose skeevy, shirtless master who is inexplicably loved by his Carnival worker friends. A family film that covers lighthearted, family friendly topics such as alcoholism, financially challenged rednecks and domestic abuse. Classic MST3K material. My favorite moments were the hosts' robot noises when Markov slowly raises up from his yoga posture and the riffing during the carnies' assault on the research center.