• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best of MST3K

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I loved the idea of this show when it came out years and years back, and I enjoy it when watching ... but I have trouble committing to watching hours of old shitty movies in general even if I love the overdubs. I actually have only seen a handful of episodes, and that was years ago.

I watched about 30 minutes of the Sinbad movie in the OP the other day, laughed my ass off at the commentary, then promptly moved on to do other things. I think if I had a viewing partner -- I was actually doing it with someone else / friends -- then I'd end up watching a lot more.

I watch it a lot if I'm sick and simply lack the energy to do anything else. I like it on at work, but sometimes it's difficult to pay attention to so I usually go with episodes I've already seen so I don't miss out on too much.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watch it a lot if I'm sick and simply lack the energy to do anything else. I like it on at work, but sometimes it's difficult to pay attention to so I usually go with episodes I've already seen so I don't miss out on too much.

haha, you can watch it at work?

Those guys really do crack me up, especially when they pull out an allusion I wasn't at all expecting. Some of the jokes are hilariously on the nose, but then there's sometimes just the faintest trail of a connection to something else that I can still recognize; I love that.

As far as personalities, Joel seemed more appealing to me.... What's really funny is that somehow Joel from here and Steve in Blues Clues got connected in my head, so every time I think of one, I think of the other. I'm not sure why.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Those guys really do crack me up, especially when they pull out an allusion I wasn't at all expecting. Some of the jokes are hilariously on the nose, but then there's sometimes just the faintest trail of a connection to something else that I can still recognize; I love that.

As far as personalities, Joel seemed more appealing to me.... What's really funny is that somehow Joel from here and Steve in Blues Clues got connected in my head, so every time I think of one, I think of the other. I'm not sure why.

I have two monitors in my cube. One is turned at an angle so it's not really visible to anyone walking by. I keep the youtube video open in a window as small as possible in the lower left hand corner of one monitor. I have earbuds which they don't really mind because I if the phone rings, it alerts me through the computer anyway. I'm still working while it's on, so I don't see the issue, although I wouldn't let my bosses know what I was doing.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I must have edited the post and added that after you quoted me. That one is hilarious, but I've seen it a lot. I've never finished Master Ninja I ("Master Ninja 'EYE'?"), so I might give that one a go today at work.

edit: nevermind, I see you mentioned it regardless. ;)

Cave Dwellers is another good one.

There are a lot of jokes that fly over my head at first, and then I rewatch them with more knowledge, and they make sense to me. I love that rewatchability factor.

I get where you're coming from. They both had a kind of laid-back vibe to them.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
Cave Dwellers is another good one.

Yes! One scene was so absurd, Joel and the bots could only laugh. It was a more perfect response than anything they could say. But my favorite line was by Tom Servo, when our heroes were ambushed by invisible assailants: "Pick on someone your own opacity!"

My favorite host segment was Joel's Q&A about the "Pina Colada song". An outraged Crow said: "By answering the personals ad, they were not only cheating on each other, they were cheating on each other with each other!"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My thoughts on Joel/Mike comparisons..

Joel (the character) never really seemed to mind his situation that much. He seemed like a laid back guy, a brilliant slacker who was content to spend his time with snarky robots watching silly b-movies as opposed to working a dull 9 to 5 job or accomplishing anything remarkable.

Mike seemed to dislike his situation more but made the best of it. He also comes off as more "ditzy" than Joel. He's played more as an "everyman."

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the callbacks to earlier episodes. I don't always notice them if I haven't seen the episode they're referencing, but it's a pleasant surprise when I do.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I definitely got the "male airhead" vibe from Mike. I liked Joel's unflappable easy-going nature more, I think.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes! One scene was so absurd, Joel and the bots could only laugh. It was a more perfect response than anything they could say. But my favorite line was by Tom Servo, when our heroes were ambushed by invisible assailants: "Pick on someone your own opacity!"

"I don't believe this. They were too cheap to hire villains."

My favorite host segment was Joel's Q&A about the "Pina Colada song". An outraged Crow said: "By answering the personals ad, they were not only cheating on each other, they were cheating on each other with each other!"

I think I like Torgo's return from Operation Double 007. The length of time he takes to do anything is amusing. And who can forget that melodically complex theme music?

Jennifer said:
I definitely got the "male airhead" vibe from Mike. I liked Joel's unflappable easy-going nature more, I think.

Apparently, some people think Joel was a stoner because of the way he acted, but you don't have to be a stoner to act that way.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Apparently, some people think Joel was a stoner because of the way he acted, but you don't have to be a stoner to act that way.

I spent much of my adolescence accused of being a stoner by adults and classmates, long before I ever became one.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I spent much of my adolescence accused of being a stoner by adults and classmates, long before I ever became one.

Some people probably still think I am, especially when I grow my beard out. Back when I did smoke for a few years in my early twenties, I never did it that much.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The other night I got a hankering to watch "Night of the Blood Beast". It's so awful, and the monster looks kind of like a giant budgie. But it's so funny. I love how the guys pick up on the fact that everyone in the movie seems to be named "Steve".

Also, this cracks me up every time:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do not know what MST3K is.

:O

here you go.

Luke! Luke! Don't! It's a trap! It's a trap!

maxresdefault.jpg