• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

assertiveness

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
i think I've been happier when I've been more assertive or become such.

like as a kid or teen i wouldn't really stand up for myself. but now as an adult i do and all the more better for it.
like i recall lately, i was taking a long-distance coach to another city in my country. as i was waiting in the queue, the customer service assistance guided everybody else, but not me. it was apparent she was slighting me, so i spoke up and then she felt "obliged" to handle my issue. years ago, i would not have broached it but now i feel fully able to do so.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Same. I'm not really happy with myself, but I feel a bit better when I actually stand up for myself and put myself up there. I'm a person of extremes, so it's either me being a reactive fuck or me being a doormat. I haven't been as much of a doormat lately, though I was extremely passive as an adolescent. I guess that's why I've had to teach myself to become more assertive. I'm not where I want to be with this trait, but I hope to get there someday.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can say that I evolved a definitive communication style as the result of my upbringing, which people interpret as assertiveness and confidence. I used to have my boundaries crushed so often that I couldn't form a proper identity, and becoming like I am was the only way to survive, but it really is an illusion.

Mole

Permabanned
We are assertive because we don't want to be aggressive.

We are assertive because we want to leave space for the other person, we don't want to crush them with our aggression.

We are not assertive to signal our virtue, or even to make us happy. We are assertive because we value common decency.

The problem comes when we are unable to distinguish between assertive and aggressive.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
We are assertive because we don't want to be aggressive.

We are assertive because we want to leave space for the other person, we don't want to crush them with our aggression.

We are not assertive to signal our virtue, or even to make us happy. We are assertive because we value common decency.

The problem comes when we are unable to distinguish between assertive and aggressive.

In some cases, others don't warrant decency.

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
Same. I'm not really happy with myself, but I feel a bit better when I actually stand up for myself and put myself up there. I'm a person of extremes, so it's either me being a reactive fuck or me being a doormat. I haven't been as much of a doormat lately, though I was extremely passive as an adolescent. I guess that's why I've had to teach myself to become more assertive. I'm not where I want to be with this trait, but I hope to get there someday.

i'm happy with myself. It's just being assertive for me has created this state.

Lark

like as a kid or teen i wouldn't really stand up for myself. but now as an adult i do and all the more better for it.
like i recall lately, i was taking a long-distance coach to another city in my country. as i was waiting in the queue, the customer service assistance guided everybody else, but not me. it was apparent she was slighting me, so i spoke up and then she felt "obliged" to handle my issue. years ago, i would not have broached it but now i feel fully able to do so.

Why do you say this? Does this happen often?

Mole

Permabanned
In some cases, others don't warrant decency.

A Japanese father treated his daughter without respect, but his daughter treated her father with unfailing respect.

So I asked her why do you treat you father with respect, when he doesn't respect you.

And she replied, "I treat my father with respect in case I do meet someone I respect.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP

The subject of assertiveness usually comes up in situations where one has to fend off boundary violations. In that context, assertiveness tactics tend to revolve around ways to say "No" nicely.

Here are links to a couple random articles on assertiveness used for fending off boundary violations:

The Assertiveness Habit | Psychology Today

Speak Up! 18 All-Purpose Assertive Phrases | Psychology Today

On the other hand, there is the type of assertiveness used by good leaders and negotiators. I've seen that kind of assertiveness described as follows: Create a spectrum with Aggressiveness at one extreme and Passiveness at the other, and then Assertiveness becomes the desirable middle ground. In this manner, assertiveness is defined as the ability to express your own opinion while still being open to opposing views.

The assertive person can state his own position well; furthermore, he can also state his opponent's position well and fairly, perhaps even better than his opponent can. The idea is that an assertive person is more open to compromise or even actively seeks a win/win solution rather than seeking a win/lose (Aggressive) or lose/win (Passive) position.

I've also seen "intellectual humility" described the same way: Be able to assert your own position and yet stay open to opposing ideas; and then perhaps seek a win/win solution of some kind (find some way to incorporate or at least credit the positives of the other guys ideas) rather than fighting for a zero-sum win/lose or lose/win solution. As Wiki says on the subject of intellectual humility, "Church and Samuelson further propose that by being open to the viewpoint of others, one positions oneself for growth and learning."

Note that this kind of assertiveness works best on "soft" issues, where there isn't necessarily one right answer, IOW where arguments are more about who is "more right." On those issues, there's a lot of room for compromise and for seeking out win/win solutions if you can set that as your goal.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would agree that some level of assertiveness is conducive for happiness. In recent years I have been forcing myself to be more verbal and direct in my communication style and with my needs/intentions rather than abiding and passive and it has greatly improved my mental health. Generally speaking, others have also taken it quite positively and it's actually gone to improve a lot of my relationships to a large degree. I wish I had pushed myself to start being assertive a bit earlier on.