• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask an INTP anything?

rmrf

Don't know if this was already asked, but do you ever consider a different type for yourself? How did your typing come to be?

I heard about MBTI a couple of months ago when I was hanging out with a friend of mine. After we had been talking about it for a while, and said you see a lot like an INTP, you should try this test, so I did the 16personalities one and low and behold it came out with INTP. I was very intrigued by how perfectly it described me. I've heard a criticism of MBTI is that it is inconsistent, so about a month later, I tried it again and once again got INTP.

Took a look at the descriptions of the other types from various sources, but none of them fitted me well. The only other one that had a partial fit were ISTP and INTJ, but still shared far less in common with those types compared to INTP.

Axwell

MBTI Type
IXTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Where do I find the shower?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
#2, Kind of the opposite. I usually have good intuition and so on some level feel like I understand things even if I am not fully versed in all the details. I still don't like it when I don't understand all the pieces, I want to know how everything works.

When you intuitively have a good grasp or understanding of a concept, system, theory, or idea, yet lack all of the details, do you find it difficult to justify to others how you "got it" without being able to articulate in words, or do you tend to keep silent until you can more easily articulate your thought process to others?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Been an atheist all my life. The notion of gods, demons and afterlives was always incongruent to my view of reality. When I was around 9 or 10, I contemplated what reality must appear like to someone who actually believes these religious ideas as having material existence, there is some being that is actually influencing things; this religious stuff is more than just symbolic, abstract words (my thoughts were something to the effect of "they actually believe this shit in the 3D world"). When I was around 12, up to about 17ish, I had the 'internet atheist' attitude of religion irking me. Now I have a more mature attitude of seeing it as something not worth any attention or time, I kind of feel sorry for the pious, as I feel as though their creativity and ability to connect with reality has been lost.

Now that you have grown out of that 'internet atheist' attitude, do you, despite being a lifelong atheist, find yourself annoyed when you see others exhibiting brainless atheist tendencies (i.e. those who come to atheistic thinking not via critical thinking but rather as though they have adopted a zealous attitude of anti-religion without really thinking about it)? I've had atheist friends whose atheism seemed to come about less as a result of critical thinking and more as a general, "knee jerk" reaction without much thought process to really exhibit how they came to their conclusions.

rmrf

When you intuitively have a good grasp or understanding of a concept, system, theory, or idea, yet lack all of the details, do you find it difficult to justify to others how you "got it" without being able to articulate in words, or do you tend to keep silent until you can more easily articulate your thought process to others?

Yeah, depends on the context. Sometimes I can just be able to solve certain types of problems without really articulating the process. However, usually when I get an intuitive 'eureka' about a system, I am able to articulate an abstract but coherent description often with the help of analogy. Also, once I get the intuitive 'eureka', I find learning all the details very easy because they all fall into place.

(offtopic, [MENTION=19700]Starcrash[/MENTION] you have the most distracting signature ever, had to block it in adblock plus so that I could actually type a reply lol)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, depends on the context. Sometimes I can just be able to solve certain types of problems without really articulating the process. However, usually when I get an intuitive 'eureka' about a system, I am able to articulate an abstract but coherent description often with the help of analogy. Also, once I get the intuitive 'eureka', I find learning all the details very easy because they all fall into place.

(offtopic, [MENTION=19700]Starcrash[/MENTION] you have the most distracting signature ever, had to block it in adblock plus so that I could actually type a reply lol)

I will spoiler that signature. It has been distracting to me as well! I was in a particularly silly mood the day I added those. If it still shows up or proves distracting, I will be happy to remove it!

Another question: do you use analogies a lot in your everyday speech?

second: despite the stereotype that intuitive thinkers are "bad at details," would you say that focusing on details can be energizing when working on a problem or studying a topic in which you show great interest? Or not necessarily 'energizing' but do you find that you don't mind the details as much, so long as you are still committed to that problem or topic?

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a simple question but how do you relate to and experience Fe?
to all IxTPs actually

rmrf

Now that you have grown out of that 'internet atheist' attitude, do you, despite being a lifelong atheist, find yourself annoyed when you see others exhibiting brainless atheist tendencies (i.e. those who come to atheistic thinking not via critical thinking but rather as though they have adopted a zealous attitude of anti-religion without really thinking about it)? I've had atheist friends whose atheism seemed to come about less as a result of critical thinking and more as a general, "knee jerk" reaction without much thought process to really exhibit how they came to their conclusions.

People coming to atheism from a knee jerk reaction doesn't bother me. I see Atheism not as an assertion or belief as such, no one is born believing things, the absence of belief is the default state, and when people decide they believe in something, they are convinced enough to reject their disbelief. I think it is valid for people to accept Atheism as a fiat, without requiring any justification.

It's not so much beliefs, but douche behaviours from the small set of 'fedora atheists' can be a bit annoying, where whenever there is any mention of God, they think it is their personal mission to argue, antagonise and generally be a pain, because it makes them feel good about how much more enlightened they are. Only seen those type on the internet though.

Hard to relate to what it would be like for Atheists in places like the US though. Where I live (NZ), secularism is the status quo, a majority of the population do not have any organised religion, and amongst young people, atheism is far less controversial than being religious, so the dynamic is a bit different. I think if I lived somewhere where religion was very dominant, like Bible-belt type places, I would feel quite a bit of hostility. A friend of mine who grew up in Missouri (intellectual, far left, sort of hippy type) said living in such a religious and conservative place was terrible for anyone that eschews the values of the place. So that could lead to some atheists being aggressive about their beliefs.

Nowadays, atheism is something I never really think about, and religion in general is completely uninteresting to me. When I was younger, I was entertained by the Christopher Hitchens / Richard Dawkings type thing of atheists vs religion. My opinions about anti-religiosity haven't changed, just it's not something worth caring much about.

yasin

Most Senior Member
Some questions for [MENTION=24669]yasin[/MENTION] as you seem very keen.

1: What subjects are your top interests?
2: What would you like to learn more about?
3: What are your hobbies, how do you have fun?
4: What are the best and worst things about humanity?
5: Are you an optimist or pessimist?
6: Do you see yourself more as square and serious or rebellious and free spirited?
7: What do you hope to accomplish this year?
8: What types of people annoy you the most?
9: What types of people inspire you the most?
10: When did you first hear about personality typing?
11: What about it interested you?

Pls ask me more, go on.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not so much beliefs, but douche behaviours from the small set of 'fedora atheists' can be a bit annoying, where whenever there is any mention of God, they think it is their personal mission to argue, antagonise and generally be a pain, because it makes them feel good about how much more enlightened they are. Only seen those type on the internet though.

Hard to relate to what it would be like for Atheists in places like the US though. Where I live (NZ), secularism is the status quo, a majority of the population do not have any organised religion, and amongst young people, atheism is far less controversial than being religious, so the dynamic is a bit different. I think if I lived somewhere where religion was very dominant, like Bible-belt type places, I would feel quite a bit of hostility. A friend of mine who grew up in Missouri (intellectual, far left, sort of hippy type) said living in such a religious and conservative place was terrible for anyone that eschews the values of the place. So that could lead to some atheists being aggressive about their beliefs.

That's what I was trying to convey, I think, when I was writing that question. You just articulated it better. In high school, I had one friend in particular who almost made it a mission to antagonize religious people at every opportunity. I understand where he was coming from, why he was frustrated, but I didn't really agree with his modus operandi--he didn't seem interested in engaging in a rational argument so much as resorting to base and crude name-calling and mudslinging and proving others wrong to make them look like pure idiots. Of course, we both grew up in the bible belt, where we had to endure similar behavior from some religious people, so I understand why he felt and acted in such a manner. I think to some extent, I was amused by the way he antagonized people, but myself could never do this, as I don't generally like to start conflicts with people, even if I think they're stupid (generally it is easier to simply avoid such people)

rmrf

This is a simple question but how do you relate to and experience Fe?
to all IxTPs actually

I've wondered for awhile that INTPs may be an exceptional case to the rules of MBTI that state their inferior function is Fe. I relate far more to Fi than Fe (e.g Sympathy over Empathy). I think unlike most other types with Fe, INTP social skills work without Fe. Combining symbolic intuitive representation of emotions with a heuristic based approach of mapping behaviours and expectations to that, making a model based on past experiences.

In social situations, INTPs can work out what others are feeling but generally in an intuitive non-affective way, and in social situations, rather than organic warmth, they work out what they should be feeling and project it. I feel like Fe is emulated through Ne-Si, with a little bit of Fi to give it an emotional touch.

Fe is still of course there, but it usually comes out in an 'all or nothing' manner, such as when we lose our cool, but it is quite hard to really describe in words.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've wondered for awhile that INTPs may be an exceptional case to the rules of MBTI that state their inferior function is Fe. I relate far more to Fi than Fe (e.g Sympathy over Empathy). I think unlike most other types with Fe, INTP social skills work without Fe. Combining symbolic intuitive representation of emotions with a heuristic based approach of mapping behaviours and expectations to that, making a model based on past experiences.

In social situations, INTPs can work out what others are feeling but generally in an intuitive non-affective way, and in social situations, rather than organic warmth, they work out what they should be feeling and project it. I feel like Fe is emulated through Ne-Si, with a little bit of Fi to give it an emotional touch.

Fe is still of course there, but it usually comes out in an 'all or nothing' manner, such as when we lose our cool, but it is quite hard to really describe in words.

I agree with this. I think inferior Fe shows up in little, subtle ways as well. Being a function that works more unconsciously in the inferior role, it might come through user's physical disposition and show up in their actions without the person necessarily being aware of its influence or presence. This might become more apparent to them (and observers) as the inferior Fe user enters midlife perhaps, but I'm no expert--this is speculation based on both research and reports from other people who claim to use it in an inferior role.

yasin

Most Senior Member
I agree with this. I think inferior Fe shows up in little, subtle ways as well. Being a function that works more unconsciously in the inferior role, it might come through user's physical disposition and show up in their actions without the person necessarily being aware of its influence or presence. This might become more apparent to them (and observers) as the inferior Fe user enters midlife perhaps, but I'm no expert--this is speculation based on both research and reports from other people who claim to use it in an inferior role.

I'd be glad if u also ask me a few questions

rmrf

Another question: do you use analogies a lot in your everyday speech?

second: despite the stereotype that intuitive thinkers are "bad at details," would you say that focusing on details can be energizing when working on a problem or studying a topic in which you show great interest? Or not necessarily 'energizing' but do you find that you don't mind the details as much, so long as you are still committed to that problem or topic?

I find I tend to use quite a bit of analogies in speech because I always find it an effective way of gaining understanding of things, it can be difficult when people can fail to abstract and misunderstand abstract analogy with material similarity.

I've always found "details vs big picture" a bit tricky, like separating what are details and what is big picture. Intuition can allow greater understanding of details by explaining them with respect to the larger picture as opposed to just seeing them as discrete blobs.

Also, it's important to note the problem of making broad generalisations between Sensing types and Intuition types. Being intuitive doesn't imply you will see the big picture, as intuition is a double edged sward that can make you see connections that aren't there. The way I'd phrase it as is "Intuition makes you more prone to overlook the small details, Sensing makes you more prone to overlook the big picture"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Feel free to answer some of the ones I have already asked of [MENTION=25594]CognitiveLiberty[/MENTION]. I like the direction this thread is going. If it's alright with cognitiveliberty, perhaps we can treat this as a general "ask an INTP" thread, as people on the forum have done similar threads for other types.

-Do you enjoy music? If so, any type in particular?

yasin

Most Senior Member
Feel free to answer some of the ones I have already asked of [MENTION=25594]CognitiveLiberty[/MENTION]. I like the direction this thread is going. If it's alright with cognitiveliberty, perhaps we can treat this as a general "ask an INTP" thread, as people on the forum have done similar threads for other types.

-Do you enjoy music? If so, any type in particular?

Yes, but not so much.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, it's important to note the problem of making broad generalisations between Sensing types and Intuition types. Being intuitive doesn't imply you will see the big picture, as intuition is a double edged sward that can make you see connections that aren't there. The way I'd phrase it as is "Intuition makes you more prone to overlook the small details, Sensing makes you more prone to overlook the big picture"

Absolutely. that wasn't my intent so I apologize if it came across with an air of "sensor bias" or "intuitor bias." The beauty of Jungian based type systems is that they make room for both in all types. "Sensors" are often no less able to grasp "big picture" concepts than "intuitives." Those who prefer sensing over intuition are no less than their intuition-preferring cousins, and in many cases, having a keener eye or mind for picking out the details in any system gives them a good skillset for getting by in a world where every system and pattern is replete with particulars and details, depending on how we choose to view the system.

I hope that didn't seem too convoluted.

yasin

Most Senior Member

No, i dont start speaking as long as i have not organized my argument on, "how i got it".

rmrf

1) You mentioned over the past year you've become more interested in god and religion. What lead you to become more interested in god
2) What religions are you interested in and have you always been religious
3) What are your favourite tv shows, books, and movies. What did you like about them?
4) What type of music do you like?
5) Ever had any altered states of consciousness (mediation, drugs, etc), what was it like, and did you gain anything from it?
6) What qualities do you look for in a relationship?
7) When you think to yourself, do you prefer imagination or internal conversation?
8) How do you feel about school/university?
9) What's your social group like?
10) What are your politics?
11) Are you artistic?