• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You An Ambivert?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ambivert, I dunno I don't really buy this.

If your Dom function is introverted you're an introvert. If you have more balanced Dom/aux you're heading toward a balanced function stack, good for you.

I think it comes down to the fact that if everyone is an ambivert, then what's the point of the label? Just pick introverted or extraverted.

But maybe it can be a good way to describe yourself in some social situations.

xXMariahXx

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This article is 100% scary accurate for me. I've been confused about my introversion/extraversion scale ever since I got into MBTI, since ambiversion doesn't seem widely accepted or talked about much.

I was definitely an ENFJ child! Like one of the top two most extraverted out of my 50 friends. But I went through some trauma in my adolescence and was kept in isolation for 5 years and feel that is what altered my personality. I crave and need spending lengthy periods of time alone but am not drained by lengthy periods of time around people. I find both stimulating. I feel like I identify with INFJ just as much as with ENFJ (and that's so confusing to me).. It took me 3 months of research and thought just to say I was slightly E over I.

Is there truly such a thing as 100% ambiverted? Or is it that some people are innately introvert or extravert.. but just close to the ambiverted middle? ...That's my main question.

On an extra note, can type actually CHANGE in one's lifetime (is their evidence or research for that)? Like as far as it changing completely from introvert to extravert and vice-versa. An ISFP child becomes an ESFP adult etc.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah that rings a bell or two.
When I am at least in medium health zone or better I am fairly ambiverted.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
If ambiversion were real, that would mean that the 8 functions don't develop one at a time in the given order, but rather in pairs.

WHERE IS THE RESEARCH??!

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If ambiversion were real, that would mean that the 8 functions don't develop one at a time in the given order, but rather in pairs.

WHERE IS THE RESEARCH??!

Jungian theory of introverstion and extroversion is different than the theory that is used by psychologists today. Jung didn't think about social introversion or extroversion, while today most people do.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Jungian theory of introverstion and extroversion is different than the theory that is used by psychologists today. Jung didn't think about social introversion or extroversion, while today most people do.

Hmm, I think introversion/extroversion today is often seen more as the degree of requirement for environmental stimulation, it's just that social stimulation happens to play a big part of that. So an introversion might naturally have more brain activity, whereas an extroversion has lower levels unless engaged with their surroundings.

I never quite understood the "subject to object then back to subject" verses "object to subject then back to object" diagramatic explanation of Jung.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm, I think introversion/extroversion today is often seen more as the degree of requirement for environmental stimulation, it's just that social stimulation happens to play a big part of that. So an introversion might naturally have more brain activity, whereas an extroversion has lower levels unless engaged with their surroundings.

I never quite understood the "subject to object then back to subject" verses "object to subject then back to object" diagramatic explanation of Jung.

I think the thing is that for example Fe dominant users or even IxFJs might seek out more social interaction than Ne or even Se users, because Fe is about forming bonds with people while perceiving functions are about experiencing your enviroment. So I don't think that extroversion or introversion of the functions necessary have to mean social introversion or extroversion.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I think the thing is that for example Fe dominant users or even IxFJs might seek out more social interaction than Ne or even Se users, because Fe is about forming bonds with people while perceiving functions are about experiencing your enviroment. So I don't think that extroversion or introversion of the functions necessary have to mean social introversion or extroversion.

Isn't that what I said? o.o

My original comment was referencing the distinction between I/E as a trait, and I/E in terms of the order of function development. That is what is relevant to my thoughts at the moment. So the former way would look at how much one focuses on the environment currently, whereas the latter would focus on which mode was the first to develop in the individual's life.

Cold

And I'm sad. Again.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh well, 3 of those apply to me. :mellow:

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. You feel comfortable socializing and meeting new people, but you’re also fine with alone time.

2. You know when to be outgoing and when to be reserved. You naturally adapt to the situation.

3. When you read about the characteristics of introverts or extroverts, you can relate to both.

4. Sometimes you’re immersed in the moment and other times you’re just observing your surroundings and the people around you.

6. Some people would describe you as quiet, and others would say you’re very sociable.

7. Spending too much time with others can be a little draining, but spending a lot of time alone can leave you feeling gloomy and unproductive.

7/8

Essentially, being an ambivert is like being a jack of all trades. Ambiverts are pretty flexible and can adapt well to whatever environment they’re in. There are those who have more introverted tendencies and those with more extroverted tendencies, but they’re pretty much half and half.

While I have slightly more introverted tendencies do to depression, I always score between ENTP and INTP constantly and even very close on other introvert extrovert tests. Must mean something.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is an observable correlation between ambiversion and striving to conform with the expectations of others. An ambivert may say "I like people, but I don't like crowds or large parties just being with a group of my friends." An introvert, in the truest sense, would not say he or she likes people. At the most, an introvert will like or love a person. But as descriptions state, that liking or loving can be withdrawn very quickly and dropped forever.

An introvert is a non-conformist. An Ambivert is a conformist. An Extrovert is interested in following social forms but has ulterior motives [edit - to the extent that it serves some greedy or otherwise selfish purpose].

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is an observable correlation between ambiversion and striving to conform with the expectations of others. An ambivert may say "I like people, but I don't like crowds or large parties just being with a group of my friends." An introvert, in the truest sense, would not say he or she likes people. At the most, an introvert will like or love a person. But as descriptions state, that liking or loving can be withdrawn very quickly and dropped forever.

An introvert is a non-conformist. An Ambivert is a conformist. An Extrovert is interested in following social forms but has ulterior motives.

I have the natural chameleon function. But I don't know if "comformist" is the right word. When I hear that I think of the latest trends, mainstream, or what's even proper and expected always. Or church because it's the most prevalent religious place around here. Common beliefs. I don't adapt those sorts of things for I am greatly critical of those things. It is largely a behavior thing but I still express and value my uniqueness greatly in other ways I can manage.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have the natural chameleon function. But I don't know if "comformist" is the right word. When I hear that I think of the latest trends, mainstream, or what's even proper and expected always. Or church because it's the most prevalent religious place around here. Common beliefs. I don't adapt those sorts of things for I am greatly critical of those things. It is largely a behavior thing but I still express and value my uniqueness greatly in other ways I can manage.

I didn't say you were a conformist.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't say you were a conformist.

Yes, I figured. Just curious what you mean by it. Because many people conform alot and don't have much of an agenda other than being accepted. In such ways listed. Being an ambivert could but doesn't mean that. And technically any of those types can have an agenda.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I figured. Just curious what you mean by it. Because many people conform alot and don't have much of an agenda other than being accepted. In such ways listed. Being an ambivert could but doesn't mean that. And technically any of those types can have an agenda.

I've mentally identified different types of ambiverts. I just don't care to share them with a forum such as this.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think ambiversion is a misunderstanding of extroversion and introversion due to the popular stereotypes, not all extroverts are suave social butterflies and not all introverts are socially-inept basement dwellers.

NAPSTABLOOK22

MBTI Type
FUCK
Enneagram
I identify as an introvert, though I can relate to #4 and #7 in that article you posted.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lets use this as a scale of extroversion/ambiversion/introversion... my position on it is at the [MENTION=30065]...[/MENTION]

E******A*@****I

post script:

introversion is my "neutral stance"... i can shift gears in either direction as circumstance dictates...