• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You An Ambivert?

raissaroars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everyone's an ambivert, actually, at least the healthy ones.
All of us use both Extroverted and Introverted Functions. As a Fe-user, I can easily adapt whenever the situation asks; most people would say I'm really outgoing, but some would say I'm very quiet. It also depends on my mood, but, if I'm okay, I come off as an smiley, funny extrovert.
Most ENxPs tend to feel this way too, for they also need time on their own as well as time with others. I'd say I adapt to the situation.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We're all ambiverts. It's a given.

Introvert/extrovert only describes which one we lean more towards. The idea of an "ambivert" spawns from a basic misunderstanding about typology: it doesn't define you, it describes your tendencies.

Jaguar

I score 50-50 so frequently on the E-I scale it amuses me. But then I don't need a "test" to tell me what I already knew.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's interesting what others have said about Extraverted and Introverted functions. Tkae and raissaroars both made great points.

For me, I'd say I'm Extraverted when I'm at social gatherings. Definitely not a wallflower. I'll jump into any conversation just for the fun of it, even if I don't know shit about the topic. Guess that goes with the territory of being Se dom with tertiary Fe.

A lot of my hobbies are solitary, though. I like reading (good Ti-Ni activity). I like cooking anything. I like running and cycling. Rode 3.5 miles of wooded trails alone yesterday and felt great doing it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
At this phase of my life: Yes I am pretty much ambiverted.

I have made peace with the idea that my Te will on regular basis create conflict when fully verbalised.
However I simply can't keep it bottled up and remain normal and therefore I must balance introversion and aggression, creating the sense of ambivertion.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes I seem very enfj to myself. Not sure if y'all think that as well, or not. Like in making my videos for the borderline personality disorder thread, I watched myself thinking that I would type that girl an enfj. I am DEFINITELY not an extravert though, and never test as one, though sometimes I test close on the I/E preference.

I seem often like an INFJ. And I test as an INTP, and have socionics attributes suggesting INTP too.

Today I walked around at the park like an introvert, sticking close to the recesses of the grounds with my dog, not making eye contact with anyone nor trying to interact. Then I sat down at a park bench separately to watch my boy play. After about 20 mins a little girl came up to me to chat about my dog and I really liked her, she was so friendly and charming. Then her brothers came up too and we were all chatting and having fun, and I was impressed at how sweet these kids were! Then they pointed out their puppy by their mom, sitting by herself on the bench. I could tell she was overweight but friendly from first glance.

Then I became an extravert. :shock: I got up, went over and started chatting to her about the puppy and her children. Then I gently sat down on the other end of the bench and just started making nice small talk because she seemed receptive. We are both divorced, she is a CNA, I am a nurse. She takes her kids fishing, and I have been wanting to go fishing. The conversation just flowed on and on and we were both enjoying it. Before long, she began telling me about a breakup she had just had and how she was in counseling and I concurred that being single is hard. She is from here and I could tell. People from here are so awesome and so unassuming! She is trying to get into nursing school so I was giving her some pointers. Then I asked her if she wanted to go fishing after church tomorrow (she also goes to my old church), so we made a plan for 2pm!

I left feeling great having met such a nice, new friend. And I also noticed how FORWARD I was in doing so, almost like I was picking her up, which I wasn't. Because I choose not to live a gay lifestyle and because I have a beau. :wubbie: But it was like that almost: that focus. I notice I am very like that with women. I can talk to women and become friends with them pretty easily. It isn't hard for me to get their numbers and stuff. What's hard for me is getting the friendships to stick.

Maybe she will be a keeper. Time will tell.

Anyway, is this something an 'I' would do??? I mean, dang, I was so ON IT, and so forward. And so not shy in those moments. It seems like most of the time I am more reserved than that. I dunno. Maybe when I am feeling good about life, I become extraverted? Can someone help me make sense of this? Please?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Call this a generalization that I think many ISFx types are quite ambiverted, as are ENxPs. (Exceptions, though.)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm definitely not an S type, nor an ENxP :thinking:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJ's are the extraverted introvert and ENFP are introverted extravert.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm extraverted only when it comes to the whole of humanity. I'm introverted when it comes to individuals within humanity. I can be very social with people I don't know and who I believe will never try to get too close to me. When I feel someone is trying to get too close, I end the relationship right then and there. But I do care about humanity as a whole and would do things with others to help the world. Those would be situations where you're working with other people toward a goal, but are not friends with them. A sort of impersonal, cooperative relationship I could do.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm extraverted only when it comes to the whole of humanity. I'm introverted when it comes to individuals within humanity. I can be very social with people I don't know and who I believe will never try to get too close to me. When I feel someone is trying to get too close, I end the relationship right then and there. But I do care about humanity as a whole and would do things with others to help the world. Those would be situations where you're working with other people toward a goal, but are not friends with them. A sort of impersonal, cooperative relationship I could do.

Are you so or sp?

You end it right then and there? That seems awfully harsh. Is that necessary? Does that cause you problems?

I hear what you are saying. Maybe I could be extraverted with strangers or on a stage, so to speak. That makes sense. Maybe I do it more for the 7 fix excitement dynamic. Could that be possible? Because the thought of now having to maintain a new friendship feels fatiguing. :unsure:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would call myself introverted over ambiverted, though when I am more relaxed and comfortable in my surrounding environment I probably do seem more ambiverted or even extroverted.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I would call myself introverted over ambiverted, though when I am more relaxed and comfortable in my surrounding environment I probably do seem more ambiverted or even extroverted.

Same.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My NI and FE are almost totally balanced no matter what test I take, likely due to being a very strong 4w3. My ENFP twin says I'm an ambivert and I trust her judgment.

AnimeENFP/ENTP

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am an ambivert, but I got enfp mostly with a devolped T. My personality is perfect with INFJ and some others but not many. Maybe this is why I am having a hard time between enfp and entp. But I believe I am mostly ENFP based on how I think, feel, and act.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ambivert, I dunno I don't really buy this.

If your Dom function is introverted you're an introvert. If you have more balanced Dom/aux you're heading toward a balanced function stack, good for you.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm introverted, though depending on the situation I can be more ambiverted. I related to about 5 out of the 7.