• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You a Feminist? [Blogthings]

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So no one's going to address my previous comment? That's cool if it doesn't matter to you guys. I was just simply wondering how you'd feel if you were the sex which had to bear most of the burden for bc and then not be able to afford it. But I suppose that question doesn't need to be answered, maybe you're right.

I just didn't really have a good answer because I'm not sure where I stand on this. Personally I'd like single payer which would seem to go against my previous statement against "free" medicine, but single payer isn't free. :shrug:

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just didn't really have a good answer because I'm not sure where I stand on this. Personally I'd like single payer which would seem to go against my previous statement against "free" medicine, but single payer isn't free. :shrug:

That's why I can't claim to have all the answers either lol. :shrug:

I felt a little snubbed by the silence is all. :ninja:

Also this is one of those things that I can see why feminists would think it's a little one sided. 20 verses 5 is a big difference. And it's the subtle expectations like that, where there's still inequalities.

/according to the test i'm 88% feminist. But I don't think of myself as a feminist. I do care about the subtle things that people (of either sex) go through on a daily basis, that are unequal and go unacknowledged. If that makes me a feminist, then whatever...

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I'm definitely a feminist seeking equality amongst all human beings. There are still a great many imbalances in the world. Some of the biggest issues now involve reducing the amount of violence directed at women in domestic abuse and rape scenarios. I'm thinking of changing career paths to be a source of help for rape and molestation victims of both genders, although statistically this will result in more women.

You mean false rape accusations? or the high domestic violence of women to women in lesbian relationships?

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I applied my own personal test for gender bias: switch genders and see if it still makes sense. If it does then that's a pretty good sign it is free of gender bias. If it doesn't, then I look for whether there is a reason for the bias.

I use this method as well. I also sub in race, i.e. black, white or other identity groups, hetero, gay etc. It becomes glaringly obvious then.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Similarly, when a modest amount of public funding now allows us to save on greater costs later, that makes economic sense. The other considerations at play are primarily ideological rather than practical.

Save on greater costs later?

'Modest' amount of public spending trend since 1970:
2000px-US_Federal_Outlay_and_GDP_linear_graph.svg.png

Estimated present debt per capita and projected debt per capita in the future.
SR-budget-book-2015-chart-6-1600.png

But the police are in turn accountable to the courts, and to the same law they enforce for you and me. This shows where the real authority is. In a democracy and not a police state, the police are supposed to work for us, and we as voters have ultimate authority over them, through our elected representatives.

Not to sound cynical but true authority rests with those with guns and the ability to command them.

It is, however, the only way to ensure that all young people are able to receive an education leading to gainful employment and productive, informed citizenship.

Education? Public spending on education per pupil since 1970 and relative science, math, and reading scores.
Spend-Ach-Staff-Pct-Chg-small.jpg

Gainful employment and productivity? Young people unemployed at twice the rate of older workers.
UnemployedYouth_fig1.png

Employers give college grad students low scores in basic competency in the workplace:
surveydata.jpg

Informed citizenship? Remember, we've had decades of public schooling and most Americans are the products of such.
Poll: 73 Percent Of Americans Unable To Locate America On Map Of America | Recoil Magazine
How Ignorant Are Americans?
Ignorant America: Just How Stupid Are We? | Alternet

Public education has long been a hallmark of our democracy, and the means by which generations of Americans have been able to improve their circumstances and contribute to innovation, a hallmark of the American economy.

Just the above data I've provided seriously challenges the narrative that because of public schooling the American economy and innovation has gotten better.

What have we seriously invented that can be traced back to the public schools? Famous inventors in our history like Henry Ford, Albert Einstein, and Bill Gates were pretty much drop outs.

Public education is not actually a hallmark of our democracy since our democracy existed before public schooling. Public education as we recognize it today was thrust upon the modern world by Otto von Bismark in Imperialist Prussian Germany in the 19th century. What we recognize as the base model of public schooling today was started there in a rather undemocratic society.

Prussian education system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black families were disrupted first and foremost by slavery, under which children were often sold away from parents, and parents from each other. These were the first black single mothers.

Still, by 1960, before the War on Poverty, the ratio of two-parent married black households outnumbered black single parent households and was comparable to two-parent white families.
2010-family-01-11.png

and then we see the % of Kids living in poverty relative to the marital status of their parents
ST_2015-12-17_parenting-03.png

30% increase in a few decades of single parenthood among Black families ever since the war on poverty began:
ednext_XV_2_mclanahan_fig01.jpg

Birth control is one of the best investments we can make. It is also cheaper, safer, and less politically objectionable than abortion, which is usually the fallback when BC is not available.

I'm all for handing out BC if the issue of welfare and its strong link to single parenthood is also addressed. Again, where is the incentive to not have children anyways if it means a bigger check for the welfare recipient? I'm speaking purely from an economic incentive standpoint. If a person's real income is around 30k/year, but welfare provides them with closer to 55k/year then their choices will be effected especially if more children could mean another source of revenue. Typically children are a net consumer of resources as they cannot produce anything yet. This net cost typically limits people's economic choices even in terms of birthing children. However, when a child is a net benefit (i.e. state checks) then that completely flips it around on its head. In reality what you'd probably get more responsible women consuming the BC benefit, women that would've have been more cautious or less risky about having sex anyways, and not much of a change in the main population of single moms that tend to be on or below the poverty line.

There you go wanting to punish children for the sins of their parents again, and throwing out the baby (here, literally) with the bathwater. I for one am willing to let a few "welfare queens" slip through in the interests of helping far more women and men who want to do the right thing, but have extremely limited means.

Condoms are much cheaper and so is abstinence unless the couple is prepared to deal with a potential pregnancy. I fail to see how it's society's job to provide them with contraception options especially since options already exist. And no, it's not worth letting many single moms on welfare slip through the cracks especially since their choices tend to put a huge cost on society as a whole, far more than socialized birth control ever would. Again, I think intelligent women are going to take up the BC while less intelligent women will not. I fear an unintended dysgenic consequence and cycle since children tend to emulate their parents for the most part.

Males can also refuse sex with a woman who isn't using BC, or won't accept a condom. Men can decide what kind of woman they want to be with. It takes two to tango. The solution is to understand human nature, and take obvious steps to mitigate serious negative consequences, much as we do in other areas of life.

Yes they can but the man can be lied to. It's far harder to lie about using a condom since it's far more visible.
Here you are overestimating the appeal of living off welfare. The fact that it seems the best option should tell you something, namely that these (mostly) women feel they don't really have other options. How many grew up on welfare, perhaps with a single mother themselves? How many got a limited, perhaps fragmented education? How many lived in neighborhoods ruled by gangs? How many were raised to depend on men, one way or another? How many had little cause to believe that they could actually support themselves with a reasonable standard of living through gainful employment? Until we break this cycle, there will be some women who think the best option is gaming the system.

The fact that welfare has increased exponentially since the war on poverty began decades ago doesn't mean I'm overestimating the appeal. People do it because it's in their best economic interest to do so regardless if their poor circumstance could actually be mitigated with better choices versus the few people that have extremely limited choices. Yes, we're both talking about a cycle here. It sounds like you're saying socialize the BC and that's it. As if making BC more available with magically decline the numbers of single moms weighing down the system. I'm arguing that different category of people would be more likely to take advantage of the BC and not the same welfare recipients. I'm saying I'm on board with making BC available, even with tax money only as long as welfare is majorly reformed and looked at with more scrutiny and common sense. Why should we as a society be made to pay for another program when one we're already paying for doesn't work too well?

If we don't have sex, we die as a species.

We'd still die as as species if everyone was on BC.

Men are looked down on even more for staying home with kids. This is what needs to go. Women and men should have the same options available to them, and not be judged for which they choose because of their sex.

Agreed. I know a couple stay-at-home dads and they are pretty awesome people.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
100% feminist

doesnt mean i dont enjoy women doing whats deemed "woman" stuff. its just that they should choose what they do, not be told.

S16M4

Permabanned
57% Feminist :dry:

You aren't a total traditionalist when it comes to gender roles. But you're no feminist either.
You generally think that women should be treated as equals, but you're not convinced the world should be gender neutral.

VeniVidiVertigo

MBTI Type
Entj
Enneagram
3w4
also [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]

I mean yeah, obviously the kids should be the top priority for both parents. But when women have no ambition other than to be a wife and a mother, that's when it gets annoying. It's why people like Roosh V and that Chateau Heartiste blogger can claim that women are wired for service and support, without getting tons of backlash. I think if more women tried to accomplish things in life, this belief wouldn't exist.

I'm not really into the "blogosphere?", but i get your point ("women are wired for service and support" that's semi-retarted). And i think it's good that a males/females have ambition, but not a requirement. If a woman chooses to stay at home with the kids for the right reasons, than having other women frowning upon that choice; is annoying to me. I think there are alot of women triying to accomplish things today. In some cases choosing career over their children (where i'm from women are more actively seeking education and to a degree more demanding job situations than men). I don't really care if it's the husband or wife who stays at home. each relationship is different (i personally would prefer that the woman would stay at home). Either way, this is not something to be judged through the lenses of ones own pressure to succeed. There are many absolutely valid reasons to be there in the early period of the childs development. In my opinion men are not looked down on more for staying at home, though this oc is dependent on where you live. I wan't women to have the same oppurtunities as men, and would defend their right to have that. though me personally prefer having a relationship with more clear gender roles (as in what is considered gender spesific).

Last edited:

Thehyperlexic

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
74% I would not kill a bear if an able bodied man was there to do it. It makes no evolutionary sense and we'd be dead if the stronger people didn't fight for us or our resources and safety.

I think men should pay for dinner dates because financial viability is part of their "mating show" -- just like I should look attractive and not eat like a caveman and wipe my dirty hands on my clothes. After the relationship is established I think you share everything it doesn't matter once you're committed and then I wipe my hands on everything.

Otherwise I would've gotten 100%. I also think men can do everything women can except give birth. Those are the two physical realities that I can say affect my view of gendering.

If we started encouraging women to participate in UFC and bear killing then those realities could change. I'm no essentialist. But natural selection and evolution are real.

And then we'd have a new set of inequalities. I think the goal is to approach equality as best as possible rather than assume it's a reachable state.

That just obscures inequalities that exist and placates people so they ignore all the oppressive crap that really hurts people.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am a feminist killer, I earn money with that. Thinking like the perprietator thing the guy you know who kills the victim, if you think like him makes you the, ok i am confused now...ok I be honest, feminism murder aint my fortee, but I hope they get killed, they pissing they others off with their desperate longings :)

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
No I think today's feminism is unnecessary in the west. Women already have equality, and in many cases are unfairly advantaged.
At the end of the day it's just down to people building unfounded sophistry on the back of their own egotistical desire to get advantages they don't deserve by playing the victim card.

Gender equality under the law having already been achieved by default any attempts to lobby / pressure for 'more equality' is in fact an attempt to get women extra perks.

People (in the general public) who fall for it are suckers, people who push for these advantages in the political sphere are probably just interested in the extra vote (or grossly incompetent).

However it's needed - if that's your thing - in some third world countries etc. Where women are actually kept from doing what men can based on ridiculous reasons - like driving and such.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(i personally would prefer that the woman would stay at home).
Why is that?
Do you think it's for cultural reasons, biological, or a bit of both?
IME it is the spin our culture has placed on biological factors. It is undisputable that it is women who give birth to children and where possible, nurse them in their first year or so. At most this would justify a mother remaining primarily at home for several months to a year with a new baby. Extrapolating that into permanent household servitude is uncalled for. It makes just as much sense for the woman to return to the workforce or other public activity after that first year and have the man take over, when the child is weaned or close to it. Birth control and smaller families in the modern age make this scenario even more practical and sensible.

Plus, think of it: if parents of both sexes routinely took time off for young children, it would no longer be an excuse for not hiring or promoting women. Since any employee with a new child might be gone for a few months, workplaces and business models would have to adjust, making it easier for everyone to balance work and family life.

Any opinions on women in the millitary?
Women should participate on the same terms as men. Meaning: in a draft, women must serve, too. Whether draft or volunteer, people are assigned to duties based on ability and, when possible, interests. This may result in certain specializations being predominantly male, while others may be significantly female. As long as it is based on actual ability, if that is how it all falls out, fine.

No I think today's feminism is unnecessary in the west. Women already have equality, and in many cases are unfairly advantaged.

At the end of the day it's just down to people building unfounded sophistry on the back of their own egotistical desire to get advantages they don't deserve by playing the victim card.

Gender equality under the law having already been achieved by default any attempts to lobby / pressure for 'more equality' is in fact an attempt to get women extra perks.

However it's needed - if that's your thing - in some third world countries etc. Where women are actually kept from doing what men can based on ridiculous reasons - like driving and such.
Women in third world countries certainly do have it much worse, and much work is needed to correct those situations. It is wrong, however, to say that women in the US or other western nations have equality, meaning equality of opportunity. Strictly speaking, in the continuing absence of an equal rights amendment to the constitution, gaps remain in equality under the law, for example requiring only men to register for selective service. These gaps are much fewer and smaller than they used to be, and the obstacles to equality of opportunity are thus much more cultural and social than legal.

Save on greater costs later?

'Modest' amount of public spending trend since 1970:

Estimated present debt per capita and projected debt per capita in the future.
None of that shows the cost of birth control relative to what society pays for unplanned/unwanted children.

Not to sound cynical but true authority rests with those with guns and the ability to command them.
"The ability to command them" comes through police chiefs, who are generally appointed by mayors or city councils, who are elected by the voters. So, if people don't feel the police are using their citizen-given authority wisely, they need only "vote the bums out" who are in charge of them.

Just the above data I've provided seriously challenges the narrative that because of public schooling the American economy and innovation has gotten better.

What have we seriously invented that can be traced back to the public schools? Famous inventors in our history like Henry Ford, Albert Einstein, and Bill Gates were pretty much drop outs.

Public education is not actually a hallmark of our democracy since our democracy existed before public schooling. Public education as we recognize it today was thrust upon the modern world by Otto von Bismark in Imperialist Prussian Germany in the 19th century. What we recognize as the base model of public schooling today was started there in a rather undemocratic society.
Your data go back only to 1960. Fortunately the history of American innovation reaches back much farther than that. So does public education. It certainly predates the American Revolution, and went along with the mindset that our new nation would not have an aristocracy, but rather anyone willing to work hard could get ahead. And no, I'm not going to go and pick out specific examples of public school students who went on to do great things, if only because: (1) they are too numerous to count, and (2) one doesn't have to become a famous inventor to benefit from a good public education and become a productive and contributing member of society. If schools are not doing their job, and many of them indeed are not, we fix or replace them, not abandon the idea of public schools. (I suppose when you hear of scandals and gross mismangement in the DoD, you want to abolish that, too?)

I'm all for handing out BC if the issue of welfare and its strong link to single parenthood is also addressed. Again, where is the incentive to not have children anyways if it means a bigger check for the welfare recipient? I'm speaking purely from an economic incentive standpoint. If a person's real income is around 30k/year, but welfare provides them with closer to 55k/year then their choices will be effected especially if more children could mean another source of revenue. Typically children are a net consumer of resources as they cannot produce anything yet. This net cost typically limits people's economic choices even in terms of birthing children. However, when a child is a net benefit (i.e. state checks) then that completely flips it around on its head. In reality what you'd probably get more responsible women consuming the BC benefit, women that would've have been more cautious or less risky about having sex anyways, and not much of a change in the main population of single moms that tend to be on or below the poverty line.
The extra "revenue" earned by having an extra child is more than eaten up in caring for that child. As we both mentioned, children are expensive, and this doesn't even count the emotional and personal toll of raising a child. Children are not a net benefit due to handouts. In fact, in many poor families, children must work as soon as possible to bring in income, whether at a "real" job when they reach legal working age, or doing informal work like child care, mowing lawns, or similar. Inner city high schools are full of students behind on their schoolwork and drifting off in class because they spend so much after school time working and caring for younger siblings. Assuming their school actually is doing its job, this makes it near impossible for them to benefit. Hence the cycle of dependence repeats.

Bottom line: make it easy for people to avoid having children they cannot support, and make it easy for the children they do have to better themselves through education. Both are a good investment. (By the way, I don't see too many businesses stepping up to improve the education that fails to prepare too many young people for work.)

Condoms are much cheaper and so is abstinence unless the couple is prepared to deal with a potential pregnancy. I fail to see how it's society's job to provide them with contraception options especially since options already exist. And no, it's not worth letting many single moms on welfare slip through the cracks especially since their choices tend to put a huge cost on society as a whole, far more than socialized birth control ever would. Again, I think intelligent women are going to take up the BC while less intelligent women will not. I fear an unintended dysgenic consequence and cycle since children tend to emulate their parents for the most part.
You keep missing the point. You are arguing ideology; I am arguing practical economics.

Yes they can but the man can be lied to. It's far harder to lie about using a condom since it's far more visible.
Nothing stops a man from using a condom, regardless of what his partner is or isn't using for BC. If a woman won't accept that, time for him to walk.

The fact that welfare has increased exponentially since the war on poverty began decades ago doesn't mean I'm overestimating the appeal. People do it because it's in their best economic interest to do so regardless if their poor circumstance could actually be mitigated with better choices versus the few people that have extremely limited choices. Yes, we're both talking about a cycle here. It sounds like you're saying socialize the BC and that's it. As if making BC more available with magically decline the numbers of single moms weighing down the system. I'm arguing that different category of people would be more likely to take advantage of the BC and not the same welfare recipients. I'm saying I'm on board with making BC available, even with tax money only as long as welfare is majorly reformed and looked at with more scrutiny and common sense. Why should we as a society be made to pay for another program when one we're already paying for doesn't work too well?.[/QUOTE]
Welfare programs could stand improvement, regardless of what happens to BC. And BC doesn't need to be "socialized", it needs to be available at low to no cost. That is an economic provision. What needs to be "socialized" to use your term, is the people the free BC is targeted toward.

I wasn't planning to get into this aspect of social programs, but it is an obvious extension here, so I will. You claim the least educated and aware poor people will not bother to use BC even if free. Other discussion (not just this one) has mentioned various ways in which people try to game the welfare system. These and other problems with existing systems happen because those running the programs don't know what is really going on in the lives of the beneficiaries. This makes it hard to tell whether someone is lying, or what their real circumstances are. The only way to solve this is to increase staffing in these programs such that someone has the time to engage with people receiving benefits, to get to know them and their families. They can then provide a much better assessment of real needs vs. deception. They can also then work with parents to get them used to the idea of BC (long-term approaches like IUDs or norplant are especially effective due to low maintenance), and address the real impediments to their supporting their families through work. There is simply no substitute for direct and sustained personal involvement in the lives of people who, for whatever reason, are not making it on their own.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any opinions on women in the millitary?

I think they should absolutely be allowed in the military if they meet the standards. It's true that most women are physically weaker than men, but that silly "women don't have the instincts for combat" argument that some people use is unscientific bullshit.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
74% I would not kill a bear if an able bodied man was there to do it. It makes no evolutionary sense and we'd be dead if the stronger people didn't fight for us or our resources and safety.

I think men should pay for dinner dates because financial viability is part of their "mating show" -- just like I should look attractive and not eat like a caveman and wipe my dirty hands on my clothes. After the relationship is established I think you share everything it doesn't matter once you're committed and then I wipe my hands on everything.

Otherwise I would've gotten 100%. I also think men can do everything women can except give birth. Those are the two physical realities that I can say affect my view of gendering.

If we started encouraging women to participate in UFC and bear killing then those realities could change. I'm no essentialist. But natural selection and evolution are real.

And then we'd have a new set of inequalities. I think the goal is to approach equality as best as possible rather than assume it's a reachable state.

That just obscures inequalities that exist and placates people so they ignore all the oppressive crap that really hurts people.

So men's value should be based on financial viability and women's value should be based on attractiveness, just for the sake of tradition? That's completely illogical. When gender roles were more prominent, women didn't have the ability to support themselves financially, so it made sense that one of a man's "dating stats" was the amount of money he made; however, women are now perfectly capable of making a living, so there's no logical reason for a man's financial situation to determine his appeal to women. I think attractiveness is more fluid for both genders. Most people don't want to date someone who doesn't take care of his/her appearance and has impolite or unsanitary habits, regardless of gender.

And yes, I pay for dinner dates.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah I'm all for the ERA. No more exemptions and freeloading.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is mostly legal equality in the West, but not cultural equality. The imbalance between the sexes is the most deeply pervasive issue because it has consistency throughout time and geography. Yes, women can vote and drive, but there are a lot of negatively dismissive attitudes towards women and there is quite a bit of violence directed at women from men still, even in the U.S. A lot of women have experienced ongoing physical danger from men throughout their lives, even in the West. Polite, upper-middle-class people are unlikely to be conscious of it.

While there is statistical proof of much greater physical violence directed at women from men than vice versa, there is another issue that no one talks about. I do think there is a statistically significant number of men who are emotionally abused by their female partners. No one talks about it, but just from years of observation it is present in society. Some of the worst female offenders come from gender oppressive cultures and religions, so they learn a way to regain their power and even over-compensate for it. This is an issue that should be addressed formally.

I tend to be hands-off with other people's cultural preferences, so I know there are religions that keep women as caretakers, and that is their right. I'm consistent in my sense of equality, whether it is splitting money equally, military service, respecting any parent who stays home regardless of their gender, respecting intelligence levels of both genders equally, etc.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Women in third world countries certainly do have it much worse, and much work is needed to correct those situations.
Yes.

It is wrong, however, to say that women in the US or other western nations have equality, meaning equality of opportunity. Strictly speaking, in the continuing absence of an equal rights amendment to the constitution, gaps remain in equality under the law, for example requiring only men to register for selective service.
That's why I said that overall women are unfairly advantaged. I can live with it but if people start whining about not having the same rights as men then they should at least bother to know about the current state of things.

These gaps are much fewer and smaller than they used to be, and the obstacles to equality of opportunity are thus much more cultural and social than legal.
Yes, so what are you advising? to get rid of all forms of unfair advantages for women ..?
I don't think that's feasible. Frankly. It's human nature to a degree. After all if it was just 'cultural' it wouldn't be present in all advanced cultures on the planet would it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Agree. Can they handle it though? Fuck it, I don't care. Time to woman up, ladies.

Women need to learn to kill bears themselves, both figuratively and literally speaking. There's no need for male disposability in a world this overpopulated. I realize both sexes are hard wired by millions of years of evolution to still place men dead last when it comes to survival however and I don't expect this to change over night. Many men and women will actively fight to preserve the old ways, especially if faced by some major catastrophes. Ugh.

I welcome some women on my zombie survival team given they're capable. Hell, maybe some of them can teach me a thing or two.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^
I'm personally against all military drafts and mandatory military registration regardless of gender. I'm with the Vietnam era hippies.
[MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION], what other advantages do you see women having besides being excluded from being drafted into the military?