• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Analyzing Carson Phillips (INTJ) and Bianca (INTP)

Probabilist

MBTI Type
ISTJ
It is interesting that there are not many INTX main characters in high school movies , so when you get a high school movie that has an INTX main character , it is very refreshing. in this thread i want to analyse two INTX characters from two high school movies. One is Carson Phillips (INTJ) from the movie Struck by Lightning (2012) and the other is Bianca (INTP) from the movie Duff (2015). These two characters are similar in many ways but also different in many others and we will discuss them in this topic.

If you haven't seen any of these movies , be warned because this thread contains spoilers from both movies. I suggest you to watch them before reading this.

Ok now we begin , as you know functions of INTJs and INTPs are totally different (Ni Te Fi Se and Ti Ne Si Fe) but interestingly they get to similar world views and in high schools there are not many students with their types so they have to cope with others that are very different from them. So usually they have to choose one of these strategies : Either they pretend to be someone else OR they don't give a DAMN at all ! but when they meet other INTXs it is very pleasant for them.

I start with Bianca (INTP) , from the beginning of the movie it is obvious that we are dealing with someone that is both intelligent and eccentric , she has two friends that both of them are talented and attractive , she has a crush on a musician guy that she has never spoken to , she spends her free time studying her lessons and watching horror movies , she has an ESFJ mother , "Dottie" that has became a local celebrity by writing a book about dealing with divorces. (In Struck by lightning the mother of Carson is also an ESFJ that is being played by the same actress that has played Bianca's mother) , Bianca's father has left his family (Carson's father has also left his family when Carson was little ) but Bianca doesn't seem to care about that and that is an obvious sign of inferior Fe.

Bianca is a member of her high school writing club and she has good grades but overall she doesn't seem very motivated about her future , eventually she decides to talk to her crush after she finds out that she is a DUFF for her friends but in order to do that she asks her ONLY guy friend "Wesley" to help her and in return Bianca has to help Wesley pass his chemistry exam. Wesley tries to upgrade Bianca's clothing style and social behavior and that's where most of the action happens. overall the tone of the movie revolves around the fact that Bianca's friends are much more attractive than her and all the students only approach Bianca so they can get in contact with her friends , when in the middle of the movie an embarrassing video of her gets uploaded on the internet , she gains a bad reputation and all the students start mocking her BUT SHE DOESN'T GIVE A DAMN ! and that is an INTP trait that i admire because as an ISTJ i really care about how others preserve me in the society and that can be annoying sometimes. i know if something like that happens to me i would leave that high school right away.
It is obvious that the point of the movie was to investigate a subject named DUFF like a detective. At the end of the movie she starts to write about being a DUFF at her writing club and except the fact that her writing style is totally Ti Ne , we realize that she was the one that had to figure out the whole DUFF thing in the course of the movie like a true INTP and eventually she writes her conclusions in an article that gets published and she gets famous. Other than the the fact that she ends up starting a relationship with Wesley , we will never know what is going to be her future. She never really had a plan for her life ! and she never said what she wants to do in the future and that's where we get to Carson Phillips :) a true INTJ.

Carson is as INTJ as it gets !!! in the beginning of "Struck by lightning" , Carson starts to talk about himself , how his dad abandoned the family and left Carson' mom depressed and devastated , Carson talks about how he always disagrees with his teachers and their methods ! the fact that he has no friends and he doesn't care and the fact that he is always in his mind , imagining what he will become in the future and never caring about the present (Ni Dom right there) ! and then we see him in the office of school's college consultant (Or whatever! ) she asks Carson about his future and the college he wants to attend , she becomes surprised that he actually has a PLAN for his future and he knows exactly what he wants to do and what college he wants to attend. Carson is not the member of the school's writing club , HE IS THE SCHOOL'S WRITING CLUB , with the help of his FRIEND "Malerie" (at the end of the movie Malerie asks Carson if they are friends and Carson says "I think we are best friends Malerie") he publishes high school's newspaper , there are some other students at the club too but they are there just to waste time and Carson ends up writing the whole newspaper all the time. He works as hard as possible to get into his favorite college and when that College Consultant tells him "High school newspapers wont cut it anymore" he decides to publish a literary magazine but as usual no one in the school cares and he tolerates all the insults and mocking UNTIL one time when there is a parade for the school's clubs , all the clubs (Writing club included) get a truck but Cheerleading club is too big so it takes the writing club's truck too and that tickles Carson's inferior Fi (It's actually a little more complicated than that so you have to see the movie to understand it better) , anyway he decides to get his revenge by blackmailing all the school's famous students and getting them to write in his magazine and he succeeds. Remember that i said that his mother is depressed ! unlike Bianca's mother that gets over the fact that her husband has left her , Carson's mom never gets over it. Carson like Bianca really doesn't care about his dad and never shows any interest for his family to get back together , but as you know INTJs seem cold but in fact they are very sensitive inside , That is the case for Carson too , he cares VERY MUCH about his mother and his grandmother (That has alzheimer) but he just doesn't show it , When Carson's dad after years invite him for a dinner with his new family , Carson ends up defending his mom and that shows how much he cares about her. Overall struck by lightning is all about Carson's plans and goals and how he tries to achieve them (Good or bad , that's you decision).

Carson and Bianca are similar in many ways , they both don't care how others think of them in school , both get good grades and are active in their favorite areas and overall they are both nerds in their own ways. however there are some differences too , Bianca is not really popular at the school , except her few friends , no one knows her (At the beginning of the movie at least) . HOWEVER Carson is popular at his school in the most negative way possible ! everyone (Except Malerie) hates him but he doesn't give a damn and he just cares about his dreams and achieving them , but Bianca doesn't have any plans for her future and her life is much more focused on the present than Carson , Bianca and Carson are both bad with people but i will argue that Carson is a little worse.

In the end both characters achieve something in their movies , Bianca (INTP) changes the social structure of school by figuring out the whole DUFF thing and Carson succeeds in making the school students try to think and come up with new ideas for writing and he published a literary magazine with all the students writing in it (Although in a diabolical way) .

That was an analyzing of two fascinating characters : Bianca (INTP) and Carson Phillips (INTJ) , Also sorry for my bad English. :blush:

Thank you for reading.