• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I really an INTJ???

ellenw12

MBTI Type
INTJ
I really identify with INTJ traits but I'm also really sensitive and very in-tune with people and their emotions and motivations. This seems pretty inconsistent with many posts and thoughts about INTJ's so I was just wondering what people thought about that...
Im a musician, I really like school, I love trying new things and traveling, I'm really good at organizing and strategic thinking, etc.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You could always be an INTJ type 6, but then again maybe not. I'll ask a couple of questions (or you could do a questionaire and more people would respond). If you choose to answer my questions, be descriptive (but don't write a textbook). The more I can key into your motivations, the easier it will be to identify your functions.

1) Describe something that you strongly dislike/hate. It could be anything from a food, to a person, to societal trait (whatever). Why do you hate it?

2) Was there ever a point in time where you acted atypical of yourself? Describe it.

3) What type of people do you tend to surround yourself with? What type of people do you tend to avoid? Why?

4) What are the type of people that you admire/aspire to be like (if you don't have any just list traits that would make for your ideal self). Examples are welcome.

5) Describe how you use Ni in your daily life.

Depending on how you answer I may ask more...

Xiadais

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
You could always be an INTJ type 6, but then again maybe not. I'll ask a couple of questions (or you could do a questionaire and more people would respond). If you choose to answer my questions, be descriptive (but don't write a textbook). The more I can key into your motivations, the easier it will be to identify your functions.

1) Describe something that you strongly dislike/hate. It could be anything from a food, to a person, to societal trait (whatever). Why do you hate it?

2) Was there ever a point in time where you acted atypical of yourself? Describe it.

3) What type of people do you tend to surround yourself with? What type of people do you tend to avoid? Why?

4) What are the type of people that you admire/aspire to be like (if you don't have any just list traits that would make for your ideal self). Examples are welcome.

5) Describe how you use Ni in your daily life.

Depending on how you answer I may ask more...

I'm not entirely solid on being INTJ - I could see INTP, ISTJ, ENTJ, INFJ (unlikely) or maybe something else - so I'm responding here too.

1) People who are lazy and don't know how to work. It really bothers me when people only want to fool around when they're supposed to be doing productive things. I have nothing against fun, but extreme inefficiency really grinds my gears.

2) One time, I tried being social. It was horrible. I went to a few house parties and they were really boring. People tried socializing with me, but it wasn't very interesting. It was a waste of time and I didn't learn anything interesting other than solidifying my idea that I'm not made for parties or social situations. The worst part was probably when I was playing a speed-based card game with a girl and someone asked if we were dating. Nope, definitely not. He then suggested that we should. I had no interest in her, so that irritated me. I didn't know how to respond since it was such a weird remark.

3) I like surrounding myself with driven and intelligent people who want to be good at the things they do. Sometimes I'm not too terribly motivated, so it's always good to have people who can push me. I tend to avoid bubbly people - they tire me out so quickly - along with willfully ignorant people and those who are complacent. I don't know any INFJs, but I have a hunch I would greatly enjoy being around them.

4) I'd like to be a more perfect version of myself, notably with better time management skills and more ambition. My goals are all lofty and not very specific: Get a job in chemical engineering which satisfies my need to solve problems and pays well; find a woman to marry and raise a family with; grow in self control so that I can play video games again - I easily get lost in the depths of figuring things out and optimizing, and lose track of time.... Maybe this is too far off-topic from the question, but I think I'd probably be satisfied taking organic chemistry exams for the rest of my life. I also really like programming, although I have no reasons to do so currently. I admire masterminded characters who have secretive plans and know they'll succeed, such as Gandalf (LotR), Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl), Telamont Tanthul (from D&D... Google does a reasonable job), and Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight).

5) I have a hard time understanding most of the cognitive functions. Maybe I just haven't tried hard enough, but I honestly have no idea how I think in terms of cognitive functions.

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=34362]Xiadais[/MENTION] Well, I definitely see a lot of Te in your responses, I think your best bets at this point are probably in the TJ range (probably IxTJ). You aren't an INFJ, as your response to question 3 shows a distrust of Fe (or to a lesser extent high Fe). I think your focus on motivation likely draws back to enneagram type 6 (6w7 perhaps based on your responses) being present somewhere within your tritype. I definitely see the presence of Pi cognitive functions (Ni and Si), but I'm not exactly sure which ones. The best way I've found to figure this out is by isolating and identifying the inferior function. Since I am assuming you probably lean more towards introversion rather than extroversion, that would be Se or Ne

How do you respond in high stress situations or when things get out of your control (Looking more for negative behaviors rather than how you overcome stress)?

At your worst, are you indulgent or do "what if" sort of questions spin in your mind?

What do you find more irritating, when people throw out random ideas without purpose/purely for entertainment or when people act without fearing or thinking of consequence?

Xiadais

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=34362]Xiadais[/MENTION] Well, I definitely see a lot of Te in your responses, I think your best bets at this point are probably in the TJ range (probably IxTJ). You aren't an INFJ, as your response to question 3 shows a distrust of Fe (or to a lesser extent high Fe). I think your focus on motivation likely draws back to enneagram type 6 (6w7 perhaps based on your responses) being present somewhere within your tritype. I definitely see the presence of Pi cognitive functions (Ni and Si), but I'm not exactly sure which ones. The best way I've found to figure this out is by isolating and identifying the inferior function. Since I am assuming you probably lean more towards introversion rather than extroversion, that would be Se or Ne

How do you respond in high stress situations or when things get out of your control (Looking more for negative behaviors rather than how you overcome stress)?

At your worst, are you indulgent or do "what if" sort of questions spin in your mind?

What do you find more irritating, when people throw out random ideas without purpose/purely for entertainment or when people act without fearing or thinking of consequence?

At my worst (high-stress), I'm definitely indulgent. I assume this suggests inferior Se.

I can kind of understand randomness - it's at least entertaining, even if wasteful, and can spawn interesting points/ideas/commentaries - but self-sabotage as a result of ignoring consequences drives me insane.

Thank you for the assistance!

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=34362]Xiadais[/MENTION] No problem! I could always be wrong, but I think INTJ type 6 probably fits. Both responses were consistent with inferior Se. Being a type 6 might explain some of your deviance from the typical INTJ descriptions (in terms of you being in tune with the motivations and feelings of others), as typically INTJs tend to be type 5 or type 1 cores (although 6 is certainly not too uncommon, just more focus would be placed on Ni). Such deviance could also be attributed of maturation and the development of your tertiary function (Fi), which your typical description won't focus on.