• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I INFP or INTJ?

danseternite

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4&5
Hi:) I used to be a confirmed INFP whose F and T have always been very close. Generally, I consider myself a strong feeler who is capable of being logical and using T. Besides being a strong feeler, I used to be overly sensitive and emotional. However, I wonder if my type is changing to INTJ as I feel different recently.:unsure: My T and J have become very balanced with F and P. I found that I have been much less emotional and more rational. I am able to control my emotions.:shock: I don't prefer carrying my life with loads of emotions anymore because it is tiring and hinders me from achieving bigger things with practicality and efficiency. Now I don't expect emotionally from people, like friends. They have disappointed me from time to time and I had enough! So I don't want to waste energy. Moreover, I focus on the outcome of things, like I would cut off activities that are not contributing to my life goal or career goal. I feel fulfilled only if my work involves analysis.

I am sure I am not INFJ nor INTP, because INFJ and INTP use extroverted feeling, while I am certain that I use introverted feeling. Plus, since the dominant function of INFP is Fi, it would be weird to change from Fi to Fe. Fi and Fe are so different to me. In social settings, I would not fake a smile or small talk if I don't see the point or I don't feel genuine.

I think I will always be a strong feeler. If I put my emotions aside, and use T and J to navigate, would that make me an INTJ? How to determine if I am an INFP with strong T and J, or I am an INTJ with strong F and P?:doh: Can anyone please give me some advice? Thanks!:worthy:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Probably it's safe to say you're an INFP if I took you at your word and didn't look between the lines.

For an INTJ, feelings are uncomfortable but can be intense experience as well as perhaps could be a daily horror. It's tertiary Fi and it is not well under control as an INFP would have it.

Both types use thinking and feeling of course but INFP's also believe they have greater thinking capabilities because their inferior Te tricks them to do so. Inferior Te is a dislike for authority and structure so you may be an INTP with inferior extroverted feeling which that could trick you think you don't have Fe but you do.

So I'm willing to bet you're actually an INTP/INFJ. The way you even asked this question may seem you're doubting you have Fe when in essence it's all around your writing though it may be unconscious or you're unaware of it.

Although I see nothing that proves you have an N preference much less an I.

Also when you doubted you were an INTP or INFJ you used theory, not empirical evidence supporting the theory. Which YOU my friend, are using Fe/Ti after all.

You're just frustrated without Fe, but burying it aside won't solve your problem.

Now your real question is do you prefer sensing or intuition and by which means Ne/Si or Ni/Se?

The question really I believe without being too skeptical is

"Am I am INTP or INFJ?"

I'm hedging on INTP for now.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
I disagree with [MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] as I think it unlikely that an Fe-user could self-diagnose as INFP. When a person has strong Fi, they tend to perceive Fe as inauthentic, and perhaps even alien.

[MENTION=30188]danseternite[/MENTION] Indeed an INTJ with strong Fi can resemble an INFP with well developed Te.
It is possible that you are an INTJ breaking out of an Ni-Fi loop (I'm getting tired of mentioning Ni-Fi loops on this forum) but it is also possible that you are an INFP who is developing your inferior Te. Being in control of your emotions does not make you an INTJ: that's just a part of growing up. A healthy and mature INFP will be able to control their emotions, and will integrate their inferior Te into their cognitive process in a healthy manner.

If you are seriously considering that your type is INTJ, the biggest giveaway would be Ni. INTJs are Ni dominants, and if you are INTJ, the effect of Ni on your cognition is going to be hard to miss. Do you know the difference between Ne and Ni? You're going to have to be more specific about what exactly you're questioning here.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I disagree with [MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] as I think it unlikely that an Fe-user could self-diagnose as INFP. When a person has strong Fi, they tend to perceive Fe as inauthentic, and perhaps even alien.

Any extroverted function will be more likely to assume its introvert counterpart than the other way around.

I mistaken myself for Fi plenty of times. I still feel like I have both functions and I am obsessed with honesty.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Any extroverted function will be more likely to assume its introvert counterpart than the other way around.

Interesting theory. I'm going to have to ponder that one.

I mistaken myself for Fi plenty of times. I still feel like I have both functions and I am obsessed with honesty.

Undoubtedly you use a thought process similar to that of Fi even if you are an Fe user. I've noticed that when people rank their cognitive functions, they often give similar rankings for the extroverted and introverted variants of the same function. It's not that Fe users don't have internal value systems, it's that they subordinate them to external ones by default. Ni-Fe is a particularly abstruse combination though, as it often produces a preference for enneagram 4. I still maintain that it is unlikely than an Fe-type would identify Fi as their dominant function (especially given that they do not believe that they use Fe).

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting theory. I'm going to have to ponder that one.

Undoubtedly you use a thought process similar to that of Fi even if you are an Fe user. I've noticed that when people rank their cognitive functions, they often give similar rankings for the extroverted and introverted variants of the same function. It's not that Fe users don't have internal value systems, it's that they subordinate them to external ones by default. Ni-Fe is a particularly abstruse combination though, as it often produces a preference for enneagram 4. I still maintain that it is unlikely than an Fe-type would identify Fi as their dominant function (especially given that they do not believe that they use Fe).

If you look around on this forum there is a very active member is an ISFJ who thought he was an ISFP at one point.
[MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION] sorry if I like mention you.

danseternite

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4&5
I agree with [MENTION=29457]Abendrot[/MENTION] "When a person has strong Fi, they tend to perceive Fe as inauthentic, and perhaps even alien." This is exactly what I think. I can see where the inauthenticity of Fe users comes from, although they are not trying to deceive others but to mean good to others. I don't think Fe users can be as honest as Fi users if it means having to hurt others' feelings when you assert your stance.
For an INTJ, feelings are uncomfortable but can be intense experience as well as perhaps could be a daily horror.
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] Yes, I said I decide to put feelings aside because they are uncomfortable for me ("it's tiring", "I had enough") and they would become my obstacles in many ways ("I don't want to waste energy").

Both types use thinking and feeling of course but INFP's also believe they have greater thinking capabilities because their inferior Te tricks them to do so. Inferior Te is a dislike for authority and structure so you may be an INTP with inferior extroverted feeling which that could trick you think you don't have Fe but you do.
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] I think INFP can also have great thinking capabilities (of course not all). Many INFPs work in engineering, science and IT. While these industries don't allow them to apply their dominant function, it reveals that INFP can have great thinking capabilities. Also, I said my scores on T and F are very close. Can this be empirical evidence? Moreover, I don't think you can judge that I use Fe/Ti just by the amount of empirical evidence I just used here. I think using theory is an N thing. The fact that I used theory with little empirical evidence was because I was trying to be concise.
Although I see nothing that proves you have an N preference much less an I.
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] I scored very high on I and N. And I identify with the descriptions. So I have no doubt I am INXX.

The question really I believe without being too skeptical is "Am I am INTP or INFJ?"
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] No. Fe is like non-existent to me.

Thanks for your ideas! But I am really not INTP or INFJ because I can't be Fe user.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with [MENTION=29457]Abendrot[/MENTION] "When a person has strong Fi, they tend to perceive Fe as inauthentic, and perhaps even alien." This is exactly what I think. I can see where the inauthenticity of Fe users comes from, although they are not trying to deceive others but to mean good to others. I don't think Fe users can be as honest as Fi users if it means having to hurt others' feelings when you assert your stance.
Yes, I said I decide to put feelings aside because they are uncomfortable for me (I had enough) and they would become my obstacles in many ways.

I think INFP can also have great thinking capabilities (of course not all). Many INFPs work in engineering, science and IT. While these don't allow them to apply their dominant function, it reveals that INFP can have great thinking capabilities. Also, I said my scores on T and F are very close. Can this be empirical evidence? Moreover, I don't think you can judge that I use Fe/Ti just by the amount of empirical evidence I just used here. I think using theory is an N thing. The fact that I used theory with little empirical evidence was because I was trying to be concise.

I scored very high on I and N. And I identify with the descriptions. So I have no doubt I am INXX.

No. Fe is like non-existent to me.

Thanks for your ideas! But I am really not INTP or INFJ because I can't be Fe user.

Why did you remove my name from being quoted?

danseternite

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4&5
A healthy and mature INFP will be able to control their emotions, and will integrate their inferior Te into their cognitive process in a healthy manner.
[MENTION=29457]Abendrot[/MENTION] Yes, I know that is what a healthy INFP should do. But I think besides being able to control my emotions, I can be emotionless and cold no matter when I need to or need not to. I think determining by emotions is tough to solve when INFP and INTJ both are Fi users. And INTJs are not all the coldest type. Different INTJs experience emotions differently and they can have different sides. Some can have a warm and sympathetic side.
So I think you made a great directive question about pondering on Ni and Ne. This is quite tricky. I read the Ni and Ne description on wiki and other forum. I think I use both at different times. For example, I use Ne for brainstorming in the beginning of a task (also in the middle if brainstorming is required). I also use Ne for self-entertainment during my non-working status. But when I mean for the implementation of a task, I certainly use Ni. Is it possible to be both an Ni and Ne user? Will I settle with either one? Do you have any ideas about differentiating between Ni and Ne? Thanks a lot for your input :cheers:

danseternite

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4&5
Why did you remove my name from being quoted?

Oops.:shock: I didn't do it intentionally. I just clicked reply and used the quick reply box below. I used the quote function on the toolbar, and copy and paste your quote onto it. It just automatically becomes like that. If you try that, you will get the same result. :smile: I should click "reply with quote" next time.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oops.:shock: I didn't do it intentionally. I just clicked reply and used the quick reply box below. I used the quote function on the toolbar, and copy and paste your quote onto it. It just automatically becomes like that. If you try that, you will get the same result. :smile: I should click "reply with quote" next time.

I always do that, but cool (reply with quote). I actually didn't know that. :D

danseternite

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4&5
I tested myself again :hi:
Te (55%)
Ti (95%)
Ne (90%)
Ni (95%)
Se (30%)
Si (60%)
Fe (45%)
Fi (95%)

:thinking:So I guess my functions are:

Dominant Ni/Ti/Fi
Auxiliary Ne
Tertiary Si/Te
Inferior Se/Fe

My type is FREE :happy2::happy0065::harley::wacko:

I am seriously doubting the dependability of MBTI for the first time of my life.:17425:

SodaDrops

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you looked into Enneagram before? This Tumblr post makes a good point about why many INFPs are actually more emotionally guarded and distant than most would think.
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] Yes, I said I decide to put feelings aside because they are uncomfortable for me ("it's tiring", "I had enough") and they would become my obstacles in many ways ("I don't want to waste energy").
This sounds like something an sp-dom would be aware of. Sp-doms tend to understand their energy reserves, as well as what they need to do to get things done. If they seek financial stability, and their feelings are in the way, they are willing to put them aside to advance forward. They are most concerned with their wellbeing, and if something makes them uncomfortable, they'll try to avoid it. This seems to make sense for Fi-doms, who are in tune with their internal value system above all.
I think I will always be a strong feeler. If I put my emotions aside, and use T and J to navigate, would that make me an INTJ?
Not necessarily, in my opinion. Many are forced to navigate the world in a way in which their environment demands. I am undoubtedly an INFP, however the impression many classmates seem to get from me is cold and analytical (I tend to be overly critical when I'm in the grip of inferior Te). My closer friends know otherwise ^^;;

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Have you looked into Enneagram before? This Tumblr post makes a good point about why many INFPs are actually more emotionally guarded and distant than most would think.

I concur about the guardedness. Loved that tumblr post, made me lol.

danseternite

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4&5
This sounds like something an sp-dom would be aware of. Sp-doms tend to understand their energy reserves, as well as what they need to do to get things done. If they seek financial stability, and their feelings are in the way, they are willing to put them aside to advance forward. They are most concerned with their wellbeing, and if something makes them uncomfortable, they'll try to avoid it. This seems to make sense for Fi-doms, who are in tune with their internal value system above all.

What is SP dom? SP users? I must not be an S user. I am very intuitive and theoretical. I scored very low on S.

danseternite

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4&5
:hi: this result furthers my confusion.

Cognitive Process & Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) **************** (16.8)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************ (24.1)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************ (36.3)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************************** (32.3)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************************** (42.2)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******** (8.8)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************************************** (40.9)
excellent use

danseternite

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4&5
Have you looked into Enneagram before?

This is my most recent result:D I used to get 4w5>5w4>4w3. Am I 4w3 now? But I scored much higher in type 6 than in type 3. Wouldn't typing myself as 4w3 miss out on some important information?:huh:

Type 4 - 13.3
Type 6 - 11.4
Type 1 - 9.7
Type 7 - 8
Type 3 - 7
Type 5 - 6.7
Type 2 - 6.4

Wing 4w3 - 16.8
Wing 4w5 - 16.7
Wing 6w7 - 15.4
Wing 6w5 - 14.8
Wing 3w4 - 13.7
Wing 7w6 - 13.7
Wing 5w4 - 13.4
Wing 1w2 - 12.9
Wing 5w6 - 12.4
Wing 2w1 - 11.3
Wing 1w9 - 10.6
Wing 3w2 - 10.2
Wing 2w3 - 9.9
Wing 7w8 - 9.7

SodaDrops

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sp-dom refers to a thing in Enneagram called instinctual variants. There is a very good description of all the variants here. In its essence, sp stands for self-preservation, which is concerned with one's comfort and well-being.

Edit: Just saw your recent posting of your Enneagram test results ^^;; Your wing will always be an adjacent number to your type. If you are a core 4, you will either be 4w3 or 4w5, you can't be 4w6 even if you scored very high on 6. There's a thing called a tritype, where you have one type from each of the triads. The triads are as follows: 234 (heart), 567 (head), and 891 (gut). From your results, it would seem that your tritype is 4w3/6w7/1w2. Even though 3w4, 7w6, and 5w4 are above 1w2, 3 is in the heart triad, and 4 already occupies the heart triad space in your tritype. The same goes with 7 and 5 regarding the head triad.

danseternite

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4&5
Sp-dom refers to a thing in Enneagram called instinctual variants. There is a very good description of all the variants here. In its essence, sp stands for self-preservation, which is concerned with one's comfort and well-being.

Edit: Just saw your recent posting of your Enneagram test results ^^;; Your wing will always be an adjacent number to your type. If you are a core 4, you will either be 4w3 or 4w5, you can't be 4w6 even if you scored very high on 6. There's a thing called a tritype, where you have one type from each of the triads. The triads are as follows: 234 (heart), 567 (head), and 891 (gut). From your results, it would seem that your tritype is 4w3/6w7/1w2. Even though 3w4, 7w6, and 5w4 are above 1w2, 3 is in the heart triad, and 4 already occupies the heart triad space in your tritype. The same goes with 7 and 5 regarding the head triad.

Thanks for the input! It's interesting to know about instinctual variants. I googled tritype and read the description of my tritype 461. But I could only find one article about the description of the tritype 461, and it was just copied and pasted in other sites. I could not find article about further description like 4w3/6w7/1w2. It's like reaching a street corner.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Test results wise, you lean more NT, but that does not mean much. It all really depends what drives you from day to day.

For S/N, Are you present oriented, focused on the now the opportunities presented (Se), and seeing where things will go from that (Ni)? Or are you more driven by possibilities, seeing what could be done (removed from current reality, Ne) in regard to what was done in the past (Si)

I use this scenario when trying to identify T/F.

Ti/Fe :This is logically consistent to me (Ti), but what value do others place on it (Fe)? [This is stupid, I don't want to go along with it]
Te/Fi :This way gets results and is efficient (Te), but is it the right thing to do (Fi)? [The end justifies the means]

Vice Versa

Fe/Ti: Well, if everyone agrees with this, I guess it's fine (Fe), but I just don't know about the logical soundness (Ti)
Fi/Te: This feels like the right thing to me (Fi), I know this is not productive, but still (Te)