• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A little project

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Something that came up in this thread that I considered after Mona's response was geography/culture. I do live in an urban American setting, but the gross things o hear are usually from older white dudes honestly. My black friend gets it more from black guys while I usually get a more mild treatment from them. I work with her so we compare how different coworkers and guests treat us. It's interesting for sure.

On a related note, here's something you might find interesting:

Women Feel Less Safe Than Men in Many Developed Countries

berenj

MBTI Type
INFJ
(I also quoted berenj because I thought it was a good example...sorry if you didn't want to be quoted berenj :blush:)

Don't be sorry. It's a public forum, you can quote me as you please. :)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's really interesting to me if you don't get this in your life. Are you sure?
I have had very little of this in my life, and none for years, perhaps because I'm older probably than most folks who have posted so far. I'm sure there was the usual juvenile stuff when I was in middle and high school, which made so little impression on me I can't remember it now. I didn't get it in college either. In the military, there was one occasion where a mixed gender group wanted to swap stories about when and how they lost their virginity. I told them it was none of their business and was hereafter viewed as the resident party pooper, but such is life. Again in the military someone kept trying to pick me up in temporary lodging, but it wasn't at all threatening. He was actually rather courteous, just wouldn't take no for an answer.

What I encounter much more is gender-biased statements. Things like someone asking a female co-worker how her husband and children get by when she is on a business trip, when they would not ask that of a male co-worker. No sexual innuendo or threats, but a put-down to women in its own way.

Last edited:

Ingrid in grids

The worst harassment I've received was probably as a teenager, usually coming home from school.

Once when I was about 14 or 15, I was walking home from the bus stop when a group of guys in a car pulled up and started cruising along beside me. They asked me what my name was and whether I wanted to get in the car. I was a bit caught off guard, and just told them no. They called me a "bitch" and a "slut," threw a bottle at me and then sped off.

The other sexual harassment I received during my high school years (age ~13 to 18) was usually on public transport. A couple of times, I had guys masturbate on the bus behind me, or press themselves up against me when it was crowded. I remember one time my friend and I got off a crowded train, and there was ejaculate on the back of her leg from the man who was standing behind us.

Not that it matters, but I wasn't dressed provocatively at any of those times. I was just wearing my school uniform: knee-length school dress or skirt with a blazer.

I don't think I've really felt all that harassed since my late teens. Sometimes I might get certain looks or comments, but they are usually polite or playful, and don't bother me all that much.

Edit: I just re-read the OP and saw that the thread was specifically looking for comments. Sorry if my post is too racy for the General Psych sub-forum.

Starry

"Those look like dick suckin lips to me."

(I then asked him what he thought of my teeth.)

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

So what did he think of your teeth?

*pretends to be clueless, so I can be awkward*

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

:D

I've gotten that damn comment. Sexism is a little like racism in some ways to me...it's just there and I have an almost fatalistic attitude toward it. Or like coping with bad weather. It just is. Yeah, you can go off about it, prepare for it, but in the end, it just can't be controlled. I don't know...it didn't keep me talking shit back though at times when I thought it called for it.

Oddly enough, it's not the comments...it's touching! I've had more of a problem with people thinking that I am public property and they can just walk up put their hands on my ass, touch my hair, my waist or stroke my arm. That is a big problem. It's amazing that a lot men think this shit is okay and they just smile, 'pat pat' like it's nothing. My roommate even did this crap to me while I was in the kitchen yesterday morning, walked by touched my waist (I should have stabbed him since I was standing by the silver rack). It's pretty screwed up that they react with surprise and anger when I tell them to keep their goddamn hands to themselves--there are no public access signs on me and it's not okay to touch me without asking and receiving my okay. :mad:

Starry

So what did he think of your teeth?

*pretends to be clueless, so I can be awkward*

It hasn't quite started trending yet...but those in the know know...awkward is the new socially savvy.

Any dude that thinks it's appropriate to say something that makes use of the phrase "dick suckin" within the first 30secs of meeting someone...anyone male or female...is 100% destined for castration by the words I would sooner or later say to them alone (no incisors or canines needed.) Still, because I couldn't rule-out the possibility he wasn't just legitimately dumb enough and high enough to believe he was actually paying me a compliment...and because he was sitting on a blanket right next to us during an outdoor concert I formulated my response as an innocent question/joke with a side order of undertones. I stuck out my jaw and said something like "What do you think of my dick biting grill - I just had it cleaned and whitened...?"

His response = confused expression > body jerked backwards > nervous laugh > didn't talk or even look at me again.

Mission accomplished.

:D

I've gotten that damn comment. Sexism is a little like racism in some ways to me...it's just there and I have an almost fatalistic attitude toward it. Or like coping with bad weather. It just is. Yeah, you can go off about it, prepare for it, but in the end, it just can't be controlled. I don't know...it didn't keep me talking shit back though at times when I thought it called for it.

Oddly enough, it's not the comments...it's touching! I've had more of a problem with people thinking that I am public property and they can just walk up put their hands on my ass, touch my hair, my waist or stroke my arm. That is a big problem. It's amazing that a lot men think this shit is okay and they just smile, 'pat pat' like it's nothing. My roommate even did this crap to me while I was in the kitchen yesterday morning, walked by touched my waist (I should have stabbed him since I was standing by the silver rack). It's pretty screwed up that they react with surprise and anger when I tell them to keep their goddamn hands to themselves--there are no public access signs on me and it's not okay to touch me without asking and receiving my okay. :mad:

Redbone I've missed you a lot lately...it's awesome to interact with you.

You're so right. It's so deeply embedded into the fabric of our daily existence that you can't allow yourself to be brought down by it or you'd be permanently down for the count. It's like this: anyone that needs to assert their dominance over another is experiencing fear and self-loathing period. Little to no conscious? <-Still experiencing fear and self-loathing via the autonomic nervous system or some other instinctual pathway I can't remember the name of from my readings. And if you are experiencing fear and self-loathing you are most likely not getting your dick sucked properly. They are easy to pity.

I've only been groped in a way that will... from now on... have me driving to your home for the silver tray... a handful of times. But I still love getting the whole look of... "you like?" complete with eyebrows and a head nod.

The most offensive is exactly what you say though...when they get angry that you won't submit. Here's where I do show these fuckers who does anger and belittling better.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It hasn't quite started trending yet...but those in the know know...awkward is the new socially savvy.

Any dude that thinks it's appropriate to say something that makes use of the phrase "dick suckin" within the first 30secs of meeting someone...anyone male or female...is 100% destined for castration by the words I would sooner or later say to them alone (no incisors or canines needed.) Still, because I couldn't rule-out the possibility he wasn't just legitimately dumb enough and high enough to believe he was actually paying me a compliment...and because he was sitting on a blanket right next to us during an outdoor concert I formulated my response as an innocent question/joke with a side order of undertones. I stuck out my jaw and said something like "What do you think of my dick biting grill - I just had it cleaned and whitened...?"

His response = confused expression > body jerked backwards > nervous laugh > didn't talk or even look at me again.

Mission accomplished.

That was like the classiest response to such the opposite I've ever heard.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dont know, sexual harassment doesn't bother me much, so I feel like they fly waaaaaaaaay over my head, or I play right on back.

Im really good at giving people strange looks when they go over bounds though. That usually makes them stop.

The sexual stuff that get thrown at me are mostly the younger crowd. I know older perverts dont come and try picking up with me often because I dont give off "helpless weak, low self esteem, daddy issue" vibes.

I have a co worker who likes "accidentally" touching me. But he is cute. So it's ok. I told him Im not going to go out with him because we are coworkers, but I admited to thinking he was adorable. So I dug myself that hole.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
on another note, comments from other women kind of bother me more than comments from men in a way... you'd almost think that you'd get some sort of shared sympathy over getting treated like a piece of meat, but complain to the wrong woman and she thinks that you're bragging about the fact that you can get hit on (and therefore must be attractive)... guys will make comments like that as well at times... as if you should just take pervy comments with a smile :huh:

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I worked in sales for years... there were plenty of males who would suggest that if I did them a sexual favor they would make a considerable purchase :thelook:

working in a hotel I also got a good number of invitations up to guests' rooms after my shift ended... and my boss there liked to ask for massages, which he never got :dry:

Eww wtf?! My question is, are these men actually getting action by saying these things or do they just think it's acceptable and wanted?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Eww wtf?! My question is, are these men actually getting action by saying these things or do they just think it's acceptable and wanted?

I kind of think that they like the fact that they have the power to make someone else feel uncomfortable or unsafe :unsure:

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
on another note, comments from other women kind of bother me more than comments from men in a way... you'd almost think that you'd get some sort of shared sympathy over getting treated like a piece of meat, but complain to the wrong woman and she thinks that you're bragging about the fact that you can get hit on (and therefore must be attractive)... guys will make comments like that as well at times... as if you should just take pervy comments with a smile :huh:

This is why I left it open to coming from both men and women! It comes from both sides and I think that speaks volumes.

- - - Updated - - -

I kind of think that they like the fact that they have the power to make someone else feel uncomfortable or unsafe :unsure:

It's about POWER

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's about POWER

Which implies that sexual harassment is just a subset of a much broader category of human interaction.

working sales I had a lot of experiences where it would be just me and a strange man in a building with which I was unfamiliar, all alone... it was really unsettling how some men would do things seemingly just to make you squirm and feel uncomfortable

things like moving closer, touching your leg, brushing the side of your breast or your hips... even little things, like positioning themselves between you and the doorway... little reminders that if they really wanted to, they could have you and there really wouldn't be much you could do about it. not even saying a word to make that point clear.

I had a few experiences where I was actually pretty scared, and I don't scare easily :unsure: I think that they liked that

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
things like moving closer, touching your leg, brushing the side of your breast or your hips... even little things, like positioning themselves between you and the doorway... little reminders that if they really wanted to, they could have you and there really wouldn't be much you could do about it. not even saying a word to make that point clear.
It's these "little reminders" that should be met with saying a word, to make the point clear that the line has already been crossed, and that is unacceptable. This is a crisis of confidence as much as anything else, but most women are not raised to feel confident. They are prepared to become victims.

Can you guess which profession is most likely to suffer sexual assault, for exactly the reasons you describe?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which implies that sexual harassment is just a subset of a much broader category of human interaction.

Yes.

But the way women are seen as targets for seizing power from I believe is a real thing. Even by other women. Even by themselves in some cases as [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] mentioned.

This isn't because women are weak. It's because we're all conditioned to think they are. The extent to which that affects human interactions is immense.

Starry

^This actually ties into what I mentioned to you on the side regarding EP women as "public property". In other words, this is an issue that impacts all women. But there are certain personality characteristics...Extroversion (Pe & specifically Fe) Positive Outlook (especially 2 & 7)... <-when part of a female's personality these characteristics seem to communicate in a more immediate way "Please turn me into the object you're entitled to."

I've totally received the whole "first world problems" and "Life's rough" comments from males and females alike. <-Um yah, if this had anything to do with me as an individual...then perhaps so. But I assure you it doesn't.

When I consider my father...should I have Daddy issues? Yes. I really, truly should...but I don't (honestly, I don't even know what "Daddy issues" means but my Dad is awesome and I really don't think I have them.) I'm not bringing this kind of thing down on me due to anything having to do with my Dad as he basically raised me to be a man anyway (in my culture women eventually become the head of the family.)

This is due to other things. And those things have nothing to do with me.