• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] 6w5 and 'Mansplaining'

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My problem with that word is that it describes a condescending way of talking down to people that I've seen exhibited by douchebags of both sexes yet it creates the impression that this type of condescension is limited to one gender. I've had a lot of bosses of either sexes talk to me in this manner, as well as a lot of cops (many of whom act like their position gives them a greater understanding of politics, law and government than anyone else). Bottom line: don't be a dick
Sort of like how "henpecking" creates the impression that all nagging is done by women?

I care less what something is called than what it is, whether it is constructive or not, and how to address it if it isn't.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate 6w5s. [MENTION=22178]hel[/MENTION] fucking fight me.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My friends literally tell me to "stop lecturing them." They smile, and then I smile, and then I tone it down and let them speak. I know this is a weakness of mine, and so do they. I don't mind being interrupted, and they don't mind doing it (because I take it well--knowing it to be a weakness and an irritating, long-ingrained habit that was intensified by having been a teacher for many years).

Don't know if that helps, but it's oh-so-tempting to "perform" when one is a natural performer. I love an audience, but I also know that my needs do not and should not always come first. A well-timed interruption (with a smile) re-sets my emotional state and allows me to "open up" to what others want and need--especially people I care about.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hate 6w5s. [MENTION=22178]hel[/MENTION] fucking fight me.

Bsn64xh.gif

Ron

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know a very lovely ISFP 6w5 sp/sx. She's amazing at retaining information and going deep into it. Does much more thorough research on topics than I have the patience for, and also is excellent at recognizing areas of weakness in herself, and doesn't fake expertise on those subjects. But when she does know something, she gets reeeeal mansplainy about it. There's probably a better word since she's not a man, but it reminds me of a 5w6 I know, and I was annoyed with him for the same reasons.

Basically, it turns into this monologue about whatever the thing is, assuming you have zero knowledge, and it feels pretty demeaning. Like just cuz you spent an inordinate amount of time learning this, doesn't mean I have no knowledge in the area and need you to explain it to me like I'm an infant who would be lost without your expansive knowledge. I KNOW this isn't their intent or mindset, but I can't help but get defensive and annoyed in those moments. It also turns into my suggestions/ideas being dismissed since they 'know better' (on things like where to eat, how to do a thing, etc.)

Any advice on getting along better with this type? I don't wanna be a jerk but I feel like it's hard not to be in the face of this.

mansplaining reminds me rather of entj or 1w2 or even 8 ( e.g going to 5) than of the doubting mind of 6w5 (even on advocatus diaboli modus and with 8 or 1 fix).

á´…eparted

passages
mansplaining reminds me rather of entj or 1w2 or even 8 ( e.g going to 5) than of the doubting mind of 6w5 (even on advocatus diaboli modus and with 8 or 1 fix).

The more I think about it, the more I think this really isn't based on type. Any type can fall into this, but there will be a slight trend. That said, I would agree this is a thing that can happen with E1's, simply because we can get quite preachy when people screw up and we think we know better. The type I think would do it the least would be E9. I don't think 8's do this much.

I honestly hate the term mansplaining anyway, and I roll my eyes whenever it's said. It's been thrown at me a few times in my life because I can have know-it-all tendancies, but it has nothing to do with being a man? The term just divides people IMO, and most the time I have heard it, it was because the person flinging it has their own issues.