• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I another INFJ?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If the question is N versus S, then there's this test: Myers-Briggs: Are You Sensing Or Intuitive? | BrainFall

If you don't like dichotomy tests, then consider the fact the Ni-dominant does not equal a J type, neither does Si.

Yeah easily tells who the posers are when they try to get to as close to 100% on J to see how "authentic" and "textbook" they are. :fpalm:

But they are neither a classical P type either, because Ni doms can't make up $#!7 on the spot unless they mastered the subject (and do horrible under pressure btw), and THEN they can play with the idea and toss it and turn it around.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
So does that mean introverts can never be strongly J or strongly P? Only extroverts can?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So does that mean introverts can never be strongly J or strongly P? Only extroverts can?

Well J and P are determined by your first extroverted function. So yes theoretically.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It depends. Dichotomy J/P divides really don't mean much in themselves. J in xxxJ in dichotomy mbti is an idenification of either dom/aux Fe or Te as you pointed out. I like to call Je functions "control" functions due to them pertaining to organization of the outside world. In a Jungian sense, it fits too. When you hear the word "judge", what usually comes to mind is a decision in reference to a set standard, usually by a group. This is what Je is. Te uses "agreed upon" logic while Fe uses "agreed upon value standards". Ji functions are self-referencing, but are just as "judgy".

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I relate to all J things except being tidy since I am more of a messy person. I do like schedules, plans, punctuality and decisiveness though. Maybe that is too much J to be an IJ? It is probably too much J to be an IP too? This has been an interesting conversation even though it has helped me eliminate all of my possible types so far :)

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I relate to all J things except being tidy since I am more of a messy person. I do like schedules, plans, punctuality and decisiveness though. Maybe that is too much J to be an IJ? It is probably too much J to be an IP too? This has been an interesting conversation even though it has helped me eliminate all of my possible types so far :)

All types can be messy. Type is not so much about as what is displayed, but why. Perception allows you to "see" or know (not actual sight). Judgement just allows you "operate". Note: look at yourself generally, not in specific situations. How do you usually handle things when at ease or at your leisure? Introspect a bit (I know, it's boring). Here's a good link to the functions in action. Cognitive Processes

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have the books Personality Type by Lenore Thomson and Was That Really Me? by Naomi Quenk so I will reread the NFJ sections and see if anything resonates with me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well J and P are determined by your first extroverted function. So yes theoretically.

Only according to a formula that has been proven false in reality on this forum.

Would you like me to show you?

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...gian-cognitive-functions/85603-play-game.html

It doesn't matter which function is dominant or extroverted. You can be P or J.

Oh yes I remember that thread. Apparently I scored 75% Judging. I do think the traditional J vs P dichotomy is a lot more complex once you involve the functions and it doesn't really seem to be very accurate or relevant.

I reread the Ni-dom and the Fe-dom section of Thomson's book. I've decided I'm an XXXX ;)

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yes I remember that thread. Apparently I scored 75% Judging. I do think the traditional J vs P dichotomy is a lot more complex once you involve the functions and it doesn't really seem to be very accurate or relevant.

I reread the Ni-dom and the Fe-dom section of Thomson's book. I've decided I'm an XXXX ;)

I just read her Ni-dom section the other day ago! It's pretty nice.

I also read an amazing text on Ni today. I was like on an Ni-high day today. :hug:

Dw, mbti won't solve your problems. We all sometimes have to do the hard things.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

P and J are relevant in terms of how they describe personality traits. But this has nothing to do with having a messy desk. And it's not a dichotomy, these traits exist along a spectrum. The difference between P and J is only explained in terms of a dichotomy.

If you're a Perceiving "type," you tend to prefer to remain open and undecided. You want to be flexible. You don't need to move in a straight course toward your goal. You're not rigid but adaptable to circumstances. You may change your mind quickly about things.

If you're a Judging "type," you tend to seek closure and make up your mind relatively quickly about things. But you tend to be inflexible once your mind is made up. You prefer to move in a straight line toward your goal. Slow and steady wins the race.

If Thomson's book isn't helping, then it's probably Thomson's fault. Lenore Thomson isn't very good. The stuff she writes about the two brain hemispheres...

Here's what she writes about perceiving:
"For example, because they value the immediacy of direct engagement,
P types tend to be flexible and will change directly easily if something else
seems more interesting or more exciting at the moment. A very high P
score may even suggest resistance to time constraints and external limits."

Here's what she writes about judging:
"J types handle outward events rationally, by anticipating the predictable
and being prepared for it. They don't want their hand forced by
unanticipated circumstances. They want to organize their experience in
advance so they know what's essential and can attend to it in terms of their
goals."

It's probably best not to focus on just the two chapters in that book about Fe and Ni.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"For example, an INTJ theology professor at the seminary I attended,
who enjoys theoretical discussions and has no problem entertaining
multiple paradigms, had the reputation of being dogmatic and impossible
to satisfy because he consistently directed his Extraverted Thinking to
pointing out the logical limitations of any idea a student ventured. He
wanted his students to take an Intuitive leap - to move beyond the
boundaries he was setting up, but his comments struck them as
negative and critical." - Lenore Thomson, "Personality Type," P. 125

That's describing Introverted, not Extraverted, Thinking. Introverted Thinking points out the logic of ideas.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't really agree with Thomson's theory about the other 4 functions being sandwiched between your secondary and tertiary function.

The Ni-dom, Fe-dom and Fi-dom sections all resonate with me. I enjoy a lot of the stuff she says but I could do without the numerous Star Trek, Fiddler on the Roof, X-files examples lol.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I just read her Ni-dom section the other day ago! It's pretty nice.

I also read an amazing text on Ni today. I was like on an Ni-high day today. :hug:

Dw, mbti won't solve your problems. We all sometimes have to do the hard things.

I would love to read the amazing Ni text if you could share it.

I'm not worried. MBTI is more of a fun distraction for me and not something I take too seriously :)

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would love to read the amazing Ni text if you could share it.

I'm not worried. MBTI is more of a fun distraction for me and not something I take too seriously :)

I'll let you know when I find it. :)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those are really unique ways of absorbing stress. My personal opinion is that stress reactions are a bit too complex to solely be explained by inferior functions.

This is a really interesting idea. I'll have to ponder it some more before I have an opinion on it.

I tend to find that when I am stressed I do a lot of the traits associated with the inferior functions.
Inferior Te: when I am stressed I can become very bossy and drill sargeant-esque
Inferior Ti: I can overanalyze everything and create complicated back stories to explain why things happen
Inferior Ne: I can easily imagine the worst possible scenarios
Inferior Se: When I am stressed I internet shop or drink too much wine sometimes
Inferior Fe: crazy emotional outbursts when I am usually quite calm and keep my negative emotions to myself until I process them
Inferior Si: relive certain events in my head

All of this adds up to nothing lol. I feel confident I am an enneagram 6w5 and I am a RCOAI in big 5 so I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad

Here's a question: how do you tend to self-soothe? You mentioned a couple of different stress reactions, but what do you do to blow off steam? What does your downtime look like?

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Here's a question: how do you tend to self-soothe? You mentioned a couple of different stress reactions, but what do you do to blow off steam? What does your downtime look like?

In my youth I would go out drinking and do crazy things but now that I am an old lady I usually read a book and drink a cup of tea to blow off steam or relax.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When you're too old, you tend to be quite more of a blend. So it'd make sense you're stuck.

Here's the big question:

What stresses you out?

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
When you're too old, you tend to be quite more of a blend. So it'd make sense you're stuck.

Here's the big question:

What stresses you out?

Yes I do think my age is what is making it so tough for me to type myself.

What stresses me out? Good question. I will divide this into categories

1. Social stress - I find it very taxing to speak to people I don't know. Performing or speaking in public is one of my worst nightmares. I hate gossip or drama which seems to be a staple of so many female friendships.

2. Oversensitivity - I tend to shelter myself from sad stories, the news etc. because it deeply affects me and makes me feel really burdened by it. I have a hard time shaking off negativity. I hate conflict and it makes me shaky and ill. I hate being surprised by upsetting things because I need time to process things alone and I hate crying in public which is always what happens when I feel things strongly.

3. Distractions - I hate being distracted by noise or other things when I am trying to focus. I like to anticipate all potential pitfalls so I can plan out several ways something can play out so all the bases will be covered. Too much spontaneity and wildness can stress me out a lot.