• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or INFP?

Brylif

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have been diagnosed with social anxiety and agoraphobia in the past, and I think that is a big reason I've had so much confusion over my type.

I have taken several MBTI tests and have received many different (and I do mean different) results, but after plenty of research, I've narrowed my type down to INFJ and INFP.

I know that these are two different types and it shouldn't be so hard to distinguish myself between the two, but I cannot for the life of me figure out which functons I identify more with. Both tend to be creative and artistic types (I am an artist, but I also like writing). I also seem to switch between Ne/Ni and Fe/Fi (either that or I can't get a clear explanation on the differences, as most websites tend to have vague descriptions of those fuctions).

Anyway, I researched how dominant functions behave in childhood, so I tried to start there. One thing I remember most was that I was always trying to be unconventional in my ways and was very adamant about it. I would openly express my individuality without fault, which often resulted in me being bullied and/or left out of social loops (not trying to gain sympathy BTW :p). I can also remember having a ton of imaginary friends and I used to go on "adventures" with them. I never made friends very easily, and until high school most of the friends I did make didn't stick around for long (although there are a couple that I reconnected with via Facebook recently).

I also noted that my behavior under stress could be an indicator of my type, so I figured I should go into that as well. The things that usually stress me out are a lot of stimulation (getting phone calls back to back, my toddler being excessively hyper, unwanted physical contact, even just a hug), something not working like it should, a plan going awry, having tons of info dumped on me at once, and several other factors of similar nature. When reacting to these situations, I admit I have a tendency to lash out in anger (non physical) or at least just snap at people. I also become more isolated and irritable and even critical of others and myself. I think that this is one of the reasons I've been mistyped as a thinking type, since I wasn't in the best state of mind when taking those tests.

All of these things considered, what would you guys say I am?

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm leaning towards INFP..

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Go to this site: INFJ or INFP? a closer look

Read through some stuff, and report back and where you feel more alignment.

How does it make you feel? What do you think of the distinctions?

Brylif

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
After going over the Highlights tour, I'm starting to lean more towards INFJ, actually. I tend to have qualities of both types, but I think my more natural behavior is that of the INFJ. I will read more to decide though. Thanks for sharing.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Still inconclusive for you. I kind of relate to you but your first post is a bit vague still.

enneagram 5? What made you decide on that? :D

Kelly777

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an infj and my son is an infp. To people who don't know us well, we can seem very similar. The differences, though, are significant. I am much more driven. I get shit done where as my son needs help getting motivated and loses interest easily. He is more forgiving. He can be passive-aggressive, though. I try to keep the peace but if I realize someone is going to keep being a problem, I will tell them and shut them out if it doesn't change. My son is very safety concious. I can be a little more reckless. Growing up, I felt invisible and blended in. My son was very true to his sense of self and stood out.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an infj and my son is an infp. To people who don't know us well, we can seem very similar. The differences, though, are significant. I am much more driven. I get shit done where as my son needs help getting motivated and loses interest easily. He is more forgiving. He can be passive-aggressive, though. I try to keep the peace but if I realize someone is going to keep being a problem, I will tell them and shut them out if it doesn't change. My son is very safety concious. I can be a little more reckless. Growing up, I felt invisible and blended in. My son was very true to his sense of self and stood out.

I hope you know that getting stuff done and being unmotivated are definitely not reliable differences between INFJ and INFP. Both can be forgiving and passive aggressive. Safety consciousness could be an Si factor but it could be is that he is a 6 enneatype.

I am no INFP but since elementary school I felt very different from the others.

Brylif

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I took a quiz to get that result. I thought the description was fairly accurate.

Brylif

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I am no INFP but since elementary school I felt very different from the others.

Ditto. I actually told my 3rd grade teacher at one point that I didn't feel "normal."

Kelly777

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From the descriptions that I've read a prominent charistic of infjs tends to be determination. I have read that infps can have trouble with motivation. I also read that in relationships, infjs can help infps learn to deal more directly with conflict rather than being passive-aggressive. The infj door slam and trouble with forgiving betrayls is written about quite a lot online. And I've read that infps tend to be forgiving of loved ones to a fault. I felt like I was unusual growing up but infjs are "chameleons" as is written about quite a bit too. My son wears his uniqueness like a badge. I never said infjs or infps always do this or that. Obviously we all have the potential to be forgiving, passive-aggressive and etc. But there are tendancies. And, of course, variations within each type. But I think it is interesting and helpful to hear about real life examples and I have appreciated others sharing these with me. I only shared my experience in the hopes that something might strike a chord with Brylif. I did not suggest that my observations were an absolute way of typing someone.

Brylif

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
From the descriptions that I've read a prominent charistic of infjs tends to be determination. I have read that infps can have trouble with motivation. I also read that in relationships, infjs can help infps learn to deal more directly with conflict rather than being passive-aggressive. The infj door slam and trouble with forgiving betrayls is written about quite a lot online. And I've read that infps tend to be forgiving of loved ones to a fault. I felt like I was unusual growing up but infjs are "chameleons" as is written about quite a bit too. My son wears his uniqueness like a badge. I never said infjs or infps always do this or that. Obviously we all have the potential to be forgiving, passive-aggressive and etc. But there are tendancies. And, of course, variations within each type. But I think it is interesting and helpful to hear about real life examples and I have appreciated others sharing these with me. I only shared my experience in the hopes that something might strike a chord with Brylif. I did not suggest that my observations were an absolute way of typing someone.

I never took it that way. :)

But I actually do tend to hold grudges...a lot, and I admit I have a tendency to slam doors when I'm angry. Not proud, but yeah, that does sound like me.