• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or ISFP?

SwimmerGal97

Im confident about being an introverted feeler, less so about judging/perceiving but P seems more me. When it comes to S/N I just don't know so after telling you a bit about myself, I was hoping you could clarify if I'm an INFP or ISFP (or even something else if you think I'm way off the mark!).

1. When I'm with friends and family

I'm quiet regardless of how close I am to someone, in fact the closer I am, the quieter I'm likely to be as I'm less worried about offending someone as they know I'm not quiet because I'm bored/they've done something wrong etc. I often sit to the side of groups (I'm not concerned with having loads of friends, just genuine ones and if I'm part of a group there's no need to force myself into the middle of it). I'm the one people go to for advice or for long conversations- I'm kind but don't like to sugarcoat things, pragmatic not a romantic (eg I have a male friend who likes one of my female friends and she doesn't like him back and has rejected him on numerous occasions, and whilst some might say to keep trying one day she'll appreciate him and blah' blah' etc I'm more of a 'she doesn't like you, let her go and concentrate on getting on with your life and I'm here if you're struggling').

2. School

I struggle with school. I get on with most people but I don't fit a category, I'm not a science kid or an arts kid and because I'm lacking in that 'thing' that defines me, I really don't know what to do after I've left school. I feel overwhelmed by possibility and I'm glad I do have the amount t of options I do but when the possibilities are so broad and I'm pushed into making a decision, I find it overwhelming. My lack of a next step also makes day to day school life a challenge as i feel unmotivated (I dont really like my subjects so I'm putting myself through that....for what? Only the thought that having a levels is better than not having them is what gets me by). When it comes to subjects,as I said I don't really have 'my' subject. I don't really like science an im too pragmatic for things like english. I was pretty good at drama, I just don't like the spotlight and I'm good at English, I just find it frustrating and a waste of time. I guess art is my best subject. As a skill I'm great at it, and I get a huge sense of satisfaction when I can bring something from my head to life but when it comes to doing the work I'm told to do....not so great. Especially when I'm asked to be experimental or conceptual.

3. Work

I work in retail and I hate it. There's no routine, I can't say I have a weekend off because sometimes I work Saturday, sometimes sunday sometimes both! My hours change every week as well and I find it makes me very anxious not being able to settle into a routine. My store is also in a huge shopping centre so its packed with people. The actual work (unloaded delivery, tidying shelves etc) is fine and I don't mind doing it, its just the constant interruption by customers at random times (I can't prepare myself it could happen at any moment) and having to pretend to be all happy and helpful. I also get in trouble alot for not having a business mind. I'm generally quite nice to customers and I know if I buy a drink at a shop, I don't want to be inundated by vouchers so I don't force them upon customers. If someones total is £5 and I see they have a £5 note, I don't charge them the extra penny for the bag, I just let it slide to make things smoother for me and them. And if I don't agree with something, I don't do it. Working with lots of people is difficult because I'm not loud. When on tills, a colleague can tell 'next please' and talk away to a customer. I envy that! I don't tell at them, my method is to make eye contact and smile to let them know I'm ready. I speak via the unspoken.

4. Home and personality

I'm a bit of a recluse if I'm honest. I'm perfectly happy sat in my room, undisturbed. I like TV and film, reading (which is like watching a film in your head only with the characters and voices EXACTLY how you imagine them), painting and baking. One of my favourite things is to get away from everything into nature. I love long hikes where I can take photos and look for beauty in the little things and capture that moment (one of the reasons I like art- its like a still of a memory, the details should evoke the feelings). I'm a big daydreamer (less pragmatic inside than I am out), i can be all the things i want to be in my head where as in reality, i cant do or be everything (it makes me seem very hot and cold because someome can suggest something and ill be really into it but then in my head i live it,imagining everything about it- eg if someone were to suggest i do a politics degree and id be all 'yeah!' Then in my head i see myself doing all the research and reading, applying, waiting for my interview, answering questions in my interview, the whoke experience of uni like what would my accomodation/roomates/what jd eat for breakfast/lecture halls/campus/the walk to my lecture theatre,where would i go shopping,what clubs would i join, what train would i get home, how am i supporting myself financially, what wilk i do when i graduate and all these things and whikst the person who suggested the idea is just getting started, ive been there, done that and am over it) and go through with it and a little while later, im done and have mkved on from the idea) and one of my weirder quirks (I don't know if everyone does this or if its just me) is to have these 'hyper realistic' moments where its like the moment isn't in the moment but transcends the moment. Not to sound mental or anything. Most of the time I just have VERY vivid memories of the smallest weirdest things that have happened to me but sometimes I'll have a thought and unlike most other thoughts that disappear, it will stick with !e for months. The thought, where I was when I thought it, what I was feeling, seeing, hearing. As a person, I just try to be happy with what I have. I'm not materialistic in the slightest, I know that money/fame won't make me happy and work on enjoying life's little moments as really, they're all we've got.

dog

MBTI Type
infp
"big day dreamer", "long conversation listener", your "weird quirks", difficulty in making decisions, seem to point strong to infp....you say you're not bent toward science or art, but i hear you talk about your creativity ALOT (your FAILURES in "art" doesnt mean you're not an infp. it may actually be CONSISTENT with it). ....same with your retail experience. i love helping customers. but i cant stand being understaffed to the point that the very people i want to help are then "interruptions" (as you said....i worked at homedepot and lowes).........i see very little pragmatic/realistic/practical S in you....(of course my usual qualifier is: i'm knew at mbti)

dog

MBTI Type
infp
and in your profile for vocation you put "full time daydreamer"....i married an isfj. 25 years of my dreaming/idealistic np clashing with her practical sj.....idk, just seems obvious (from my personal experience and utter failure to jive with her) you are not a S. .

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel overwhelmed by possibility and I'm glad I do have the amount t of options I do but when the possibilities are so broad and I'm pushed into making a decision, I find it overwhelming.

This seems more likely for an Ni type rather than Ne (or inferior ne in an ISxJ) I read through all the paragraphs and vaguely remember your other threads that I posted in, but you give me the impression of an ISFx (but INFP is possible) You don't like spontaneity and value having a routine, which seems like Si. Not sure what Se types would make of your work routine, but it's clear that you're an introvert and therefore Se dom is out of the question. (I imagine Se are the most spontaneous if any type).

...is to have these 'hyper realistic' moments where its like the moment isn't in the moment but transcends the moment. Not to sound mental or anything. Most of the time I just have VERY vivid memories of the smallest weirdest things that have happened to me but sometimes I'll have a thought and unlike most other thoughts that disappear, it will stick with !e for months.

Ni or Si?? tbh I can get anything clear from this except that you are an introvert and an F

To help you find out your preference it might be useful to read these to find out which one you value the most;
introverted sensing
extroverted sensing

Last edited: