• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What does this mean?

daftpunkcrunk

I find myself attracted to people who have 'T' tendencies. As in I prefer people who utilize thinking over feeling in company. Oddly, people who laugh too easily creep me out for some reason. However, I do enjoy it when people laugh at my jokes and can appreciate my humor, which is often times crude, biting, and insulting.

Does this mean that I am a 'Thinking' person as well? Or does it mean that I'm attracted to my 'shadow' functions?

Another point is that I'm not so sure if I'm an INFP myself... to be honest I've been through a depressive episode in my life and it shattered my confidence in myself completely... as time went by and I was able to pick myself up, I seem to have less and less congruences with the NF temperament. So I suppose my personality would be 'unknown' as of now, which is why I find it important for someone to answer this question.

Any insight or common experiences would be appreciated.

P

Phantonym

:laugh: Thinking and Feeling preferences refer to how you make decisions, not whether or not you tend to laugh or how much you laugh in company. But ok, I get what you mean.

Only you can tell what you prefer. How do you come to decisions? Based on facts, objectivity, logic? Or subjectivity, empathy, considering what people who are involved need?

Sorry to hear about the depression you've experienced. This might influence your "attraction" but so could many other factors. You might have an (subconscious) understanding that "Thinkers" are more valued or that "Feelers" are somewhat "weaker" and you try to mold yourself to that when reading the descriptions of temperaments.

Welcome to the forums. Take a look around, explore the threads, accumulate knowledge and things might start to seem more clear.

I'm sure people would be glad to answer any kind of questions that you can come up with. Good luck. :)

daftpunkcrunk

:laugh: Thinking and Feeling preferences refer to how you make decisions, not whether or not you tend to laugh or how much you laugh in company. But ok, I get what you mean.

Only you can tell what you prefer. How do you come to decisions? Based on facts, objectivity, logic? Or subjectivity, empathy, considering what people who are involved need?

Sorry to hear about the depression you've experienced. This might influence your "attraction" but so could many other factors. You might have an (subconscious) understanding that "Thinkers" are more valued or that "Feelers" are somewhat "weaker" and you try to mold yourself to that when reading the descriptions of temperaments.

Welcome to the forums. Take a look around, explore the threads, accumulate knowledge and things might start to seem more clear.

I'm sure people would be glad to answer any kind of questions that you can come up with. Good luck. :)

Thank you for your post, it was very informative. You were right in your statement about me having a subconscious biased view on 'Feelers' and 'Thinkers'. Lately, it seems that I've been consciously trying to deny my NF qualities and trying so hard to desperately become someone else. I guess it's just difficult to be a NF, especially in high school. I'm still debating on whether or not I'm an INFP or ENFP but I am a NFP temperament for sure. I just hope that someday I can accept and be appreciated for whoever I may be, and that I may be happy one day. I'm just scared that I'll always be this frustrated and out of place for the rest of my life, causing me to force to act as another personality type.

Anyways, thanks again. You were the only person to make a reply the whole day, haha.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
You were right in your statement about me having a subconscious biased view on 'Feelers' and 'Thinkers'. Lately, it seems that I've been consciously trying to deny my NF qualities and trying so hard to desperately become someone else. I guess it's just difficult to be a NF, especially in high school. I'm still debating on whether or not I'm an INFP or ENFP but I am a NFP temperament for sure. I just hope that someday I can accept and be appreciated for whoever I may be, and that I may be happy one day. I'm just scared that I'll always be this frustrated and out of place for the rest of my life, causing me to force to act as another personality type.

Anyways, thanks again. You were the only person to make a reply the whole day, haha.

There are some schools of thought that say that as we mature we become more balanced in our dichotomies. I question that because I still rate very low in my S. Maybe I am just immature.

High School can be difficult for iNtuitives, particularly those with an I preference, unless they are in a school system better suited to their questioning minds (Steiner, Sudval.org come to mind here). It can sometimes be hard to feel different until you develop confidence that your difference is valid.

Knowing and understanding your own type/temperament preferences has, in my experience with students, often helped considerably in this respect.

It is OK to be who you are - you need make no apology to anyone for the considerable, uncommon skills and talents you have the capacity to build in yourself. Not everyone can do the things you are capable of :hug: