• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I INFP or INFJ?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
You lost the right to be taken seriously when you posted this nonsense:

Carry on.

...unless it turns out that I'm right.

I was probably too definitive in my phrasing, given that it hasn't been demonstrated conclusively yet, but it's what my investigations are pointing to.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Genetics are weird and what is hereditary and what isn't sure isn't clear.

It could be that the stack is genetic, but the order isn't, so that someone could be a ENTJ or an ISFP based upon environmental factors, but I doubt it.

I suspect it is more likely we are born with a stack order, but the orientation is environmental, so a person could be Nx Tx, bu either Ni Te or Ne Ti, but that might be wrong as well.

We might just completely inherit the stack, with many outcomes possible. My parents are ISTJ dad and ENFP mom, but 3 of the 4 children are Fe users and two are Ne doms. But I am also the only blonde and don't have blonde parents, and am 5 inches taller than my father, when no one in the family was ever as tall as me, ever or since.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Genetics are weird and what is hereditary and what isn't sure isn't clear.

It could be that the stack is genetic, but the order isn't, so that someone could be a ENTJ or an ISFP based upon environmental factors, but I doubt it.

I suspect it is more likely we are born with a stack order, but the orientation is environmental, so a person could be Nx Tx, bu either Ni Te or Ne Ti, but that might be wrong as well.

We might just completely inherit the stack, with many outcomes possible. My parents are ISTJ dad and ENFP mom, but 3 of the 4 children are Fe users and two are Ne doms. But I am also the only blonde and don't have blonde parents, and am 5 inches taller than my father, when no one in the family was ever as tall as me, ever or since.

My hunch is that it's the exact type which is inhereted. There will also be variations on the type in terms of the other types in the family, in terms of how the person differs from others of the same type. I'm very confident in saying that it's not random, as the anecdotal evidence in forum threads would suggest.

For example, my father is INTJ, and I'm an INFJ who has good ability in NT areas. My mother and sister are both ENFP, and there is INFJ (male) on my mother's side of the family, but there is also ESFP on my mother's side of the family, and I happen to get on well with ESFPs.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My hunch is that it's the exact type which is inhereted. There will also be variations on the type in terms of the other types in the family, in terms of how the person differs from others of the same type. I'm very confident in saying that it's not random, as the anecdotal evidence in forum threads would suggest.

For example, my father is INTJ, and I'm an INFJ who has good ability in NT areas. My mother and sister are both ENFP, and there is INFJ (male) on my mother's side of the family, but there is also ESFP on my mother's side of the family, and I happen to get on well with ESFPs.

Because your personal experience and your personal observations and 'investigations' trump everyone elses' data, and everyone elses' data is incorrect because it does not match your own experiences and intuitive belief on how everything plays out. Reject everything that doesn't match what you believe to be true; the typing is obviously wrong since it doesn't match your theory. It's a good way to keep your theory nice and tidy.

Please at least extend the courtesy of not putting peoples' typing of their parents/relations into question, like you did at the start of this thread, given this is a pet theory of yours with no backing whatsoever. What a mess this thread has turned into, given it was supposed to be about the OP's type. You question the OP's parents' typing? Your own 'data' is less anecdotal than anyone elses' on here? Heck, I may as well question your own typing of your parents and grandparents and your own ability to type. See how that works?

[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] perhaps most of this thread (obviously including my own comment here) should be turned into a new thread about genetics or put in the off-topic thread.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Because your personal experience and your personal observations and 'investigations' trump everyone elses' data, and everyone elses' data is incorrect because it does not match your own experiences and intuitive belief on how everything plays out. Reject everything that doesn't match what you believe to be true; the typing is obviously wrong since it doesn't match your theory. It's a good way to keep your theory nice and tidy.

Please at least extend the courtesy of not putting peoples' typing of their parents/relations into question, like you did at the start of this thread, given this is a pet theory of yours with no backing whatsoever. What a mess this thread has turned into, given it was supposed to be about the OP's type. You question the OP's parents' typing? Your own 'data' is less anecdotal than anyone elses' on here? Heck, I may as well question your own typing of your parents and grandparents and your own ability to type. See how that works?

[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] perhaps most of this thread (obviously including my own comment here) should be turned into a new thread about genetics or put in the off-topic thread.

Yeah I only meant to point out the inconsistency of listing someone else's type while questioning your own, but that was cleared up (it wasn't their own typing).

I think you'll find that most people don't actually know how to type properly, but again, time will tell what the truth is once we get valid data.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Well, Im going to answer the OP and this little discussion. The discussion is coming first.

I know this is personal experience, but I have rambled a lot on MBTI statistics and I have not found any of them supporting type heritage. The same for enviromental heritage, although in this case there is some controversy, since people who claim that type is unchangable tends to support that the enviroment dont change what people truly are, but rather creates some adaptive behaviours that disappears when the enviroment demand disappears or remain as a trauma, not as a part of a person. I prefer this line of thinking while typing. And there are people who claim that type is changable , they tend to support that the enviroment truly change people recreating their personality. Also, I already had read long time ago some people (Im a little bit lazy to search for it again) saying that the fathers and mothers type has nothing to do with the childs type and a tons of comments saying "yes, my family is like that too". I am one of these guys with that personal experience too.

Getting back on topic, Gabby, there is a little mistake in MBTI community that the type descriptions mostly lead you to think that perceivers cant plan (like they are forbidden to) or that perceivers cant get organized. Thats not entirely true, the plan part is not true at all. You are NOT forbidden to plan because you are a "P" type. I even already watched shows or movies with P types being full of plans.

I think you dont like uncertainty because it naturally generates a little bit of anxiety and you dont like the anxiety because you have anxiety issues. Since you dont like uncertainty you will want to be prepared for things, because being prepared reduces anxiety. So, you not liking uncertainty and being prepared is more linked to an issue than to personality trait. Despite these traits, the only things that supports NFJs thing is being organized.

I dont see you liking having and pursuing "one big vision" (or a family of big visions), although you might think you do because you take uncertainty out, but that only happens because of the anxiety issues. You seem more on the indecisive side, with having rather some plans and freedom to change (so you wont get anxious and feel safe) instead of one single plan. So, I think you are INFP, weirdly organized, that dislikes uncertainty and have always a plan because of anxiety issues.

Last edited: