• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi vs Fe??????????????????

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hello, all! I am new to this forum, and I've been reading up a few of your threads and feel so relieved I am not the only one confused about the feeling functions. My latest struggle is fi vs fe.
I always score really high on Fe, but I've been told I use Fi, actually. Even after looking at examples of people talking about fi and fe, and reading numerous explanations, posts, ad nauseum, I still feel like I don't quite get it.
My mom, who is an ISTJ, laughs when I try to delve deeper and deeper into the functions. She says the Myers Briggs test was supposed to help people get jobs which they were best suited for (true). However, I cannot help but to keep analyzing this, dissecting it to the barest of cores. It would really help if I knew what I was. It would definitely answer some questions which are now like voids.

But anyway, I diverge. My main question is this: After reading these paragraphs, would you say I use more fi or fe?

As a child, I was kind and loving to everyone. After playdates, I would insist a friend walk away from my house with one of my toys. The adults in the room had to find a way to hide the said toy behind them so I could be pacified thinking the toy was going home with my friend.
I loved school to the point of making my mom drive me to my school on Saturday to prove to me school was closed (and today I am a teacher haha).
My parents took me fishing only once. I caught the only fish, and, as my scientist mother approached to cut it open, I noticed it struggle, and felt horrible for it . "It's gonna die!" I screamed. "Put it back! Put it baaaaack!" almost if I and the fish were one and the same being.
Since I was very little, I felt sorry for chickens who were about to be slaughtered, and felt terrible about having to eat meat. Since the age of four I wanted to be vegetarian, so I wouldn't have to hurt any animals.
I grew up, always alone, with one or two really good friends, and I did not mind being alone for long hours. Even as a teenager, I would prefer to read my books and be left alone. I always loved intellectually stimulating talks, though I always felt I was never smart enough. While people were going to parties and getting wasted, I would curl up with a book or hang out with one or two friends.
In college it was the same, though I would party until about midnight, then go home and sleep. I have always been a morning person after all, and always preferred the company of animals over most people.
It wasn't until my thirties that I became interested in teaching, and had to overcome my fear of speaking in public. I found that children were great and since working at a school, I have felt the most extroverted I have ever been in my life. Though I like to socialize and talk to my colleagues, I often get tired of this, and need to retreat and be on my own so I can focus on my thoughts. I still care deeply for those who are underdogs, for animals who do not have a voice, and for children, who are vulnerable to adults and this unjust and ugly world. I hope that, by teaching them, I can inspire them to be better people as a whole generation, and my goal is to raise them to be more conscious of how they treat the environment and each other.

Ok, I think that's a lot of information.....what's the verdict???
Thanks in advance, everyone!

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fe is directly connected to the external emotional environment and Fi is a deep connection to one's own internal emotional environment. It is about where one finds meaning.

I could build a case from your post supporting Fe or Fi, based upon cherry-picking phrases.

What I like to do is look at how you act when very stressed and under a lot of pressure. This technique comes from Naomi Quenk and her book "Was That Really Me?"

Ms. Quenk was one of the top individuals for the official MBTI and used massive amounts of data to explore typology. The official MBTI does not use JCF (Jungian cognitive functions) theory officially, but it is there.

So talk about how you get when things get really tough.

Do you get extremely self-critical and wallow in deep depression?

Or become hypercritical of everyone else?

Or indulge in shopping, intoxicants, sex, food, etc.?

Or sentimental?

Or irregularly emotional?

Or something else?

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Fe is directly connected to the external emotional environment and Fi is a deep connection to one's own internal emotional environment. It is about where one finds meaning.

I could build a case from your post supporting Fe or Fi, based upon cherry-picking phrases.

What I like to do is look at how you act when very stressed and under a lot of pressure. This technique comes from Naomi Quenk and her book "Was That Really Me?"

Ms. Quenk was one of the top individuals for the official MBTI and used massive amounts of data to explore typology. The official MBTI does not use JCF (Jungian cognitive functions) theory officially, but it is there.

So talk about how you get when things get really tough.

Do you get extremely self-critical and wallow in deep depression?

Or become hypercritical of everyone else?

Or indulge in shopping, intoxicants, sex, food, etc.?

Or sentimental?

Or irregularly emotional?

Or something else?

Mmm...Ok, so...when under a lot of pressure, and when things get really tough, I tend to internalize everything and be my worst self critic (why did I say such and such? Why did I do such and such? Should I have said this or that? I am such a $^%& for doing or thinking or saying this). If the stress builds, I binge eat. If it's still there, I get really sentimental and cry in corners. Sometimes on someone's shoulder (not anybody's though. A very selected few).

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mmm...Ok, so...when under a lot of pressure, and when things get really tough, I tend to internalize everything and be my worst self critic (why did I say such and such? Why did I do such and such? Should I have said this or that? I am such a $^%& for doing or thinking or saying this). If the stress builds, I binge eat. If it's still there, I get really sentimental and cry in corners. Sometimes on someone's shoulder (not anybody's though. A very selected few).

Ok, read each of these and see which one fits.

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pe...76783-recognizing-inferior-function-intp.html

The Form of the Inferior - IFPs

I could not the one ESxPs for some reason

See if any of these fits, as they cover 14 types (2 for each link)

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

ExFJ. Internalizing and focusing on "why did I do/say such and such" at your worst is indicative of inferior Ti. Fe doms spend so much time caring for and catering to and representing others that when shit hits the fan and they are forced to stop for a moment and reflect, they are left questioning why and if any of it makes sense for them because they rarely if ever focus on themselves. This usually results in self-beratement or lashing out as a form of putting their foot down.
"Well I'm not gonna do this for you anymore because <insert self-determined reason>!"

Archetypally, school-aged teachers are ESFJs.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thank you!!! I have pieced together those things which are true for me (I noticed a pattern with Ni), but am still not very clear. But this has been very helpful. I have interjected in ALL CAPS as much as possible to describe how I connect to these. While on the grip, this is what happens:

"... it is especially hard to admit the truth about problems with people or things they care about. If they fail to face disagreeable facts, or refuse to look at criticism that hurts, they will ignore their problems instead of searching for solutions (WHILE IN THE GRIP, IF SOMEONE GIVES ME A CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, I WILL IGNORE IT)"

"Dealing with details, especially in an unfamiliar environment, can trigger inferior Extraverted Sensing in Introverted Intuitive types. In fact, these types frequently mention that feeling overwhelmed by details often provokes characteristic inferior function reactions. Unexpected events that interrupt planned activities can also unsettle these types (YES! THIS IS DEFINITELY ME!) enough to arouse their inferior function.
"Another INFJ reports having the following response when she has to deal with unfamiliar details like taxes and finances:
I feel like I become instantly stupid.(YEP.ME, AGAIN). I truly don’t seem to be able to take in explanations and process them. I have such anxiety I can’t get through it. I feel panicky inside and desperately look for help from someone who can talk to me on my level so that I can slowly begin to understand(AS I AM DOING HERE , IN THE MBTI WORLD-though I am not in the grip at the moment)."
Some INTPs can calm themselves down by playing unusual games of solitaire that don’t depend on luck for success(I USUALLY WILL PLAY GAMES LIKE SOLITAIRE OR ANY OTHER PATTERN GAME SUCH AS BEJEWELED). Such games engage their auxiliary Intuition.
I cry! Everything is bad! I can be extremely creative about worrying about what could happen.� (YEP).

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ok, so this gives me a few clues...I don't think I am an S because the real world is pretty alien to me. I thrive in theories, philosophy, etc.
Though grade school teachers are usually ESFJ, I definitely am not an S.....My favorite part of watching my students learn is seeing them thinking hard about a question, or an artistic problem. I can almost see the gears in their little brains grinding and working things out, and THAT is what makes me so fascinated by teaching them- their cognitive abilities and new acquired skills. They ALL have amazing and very different cognitive abilities, and I celebrate them all.
Still stuck on INFJ or ENFJ, and seriously considering INTJ...

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, so this gives me a few clues...I don't think I am an S because the real world is pretty alien to me. I thrive in theories, philosophy, etc.
Though grade school teachers are usually ESFJ, I definitely am not an S.....My favorite part of watching my students learn is seeing them thinking hard about a question, or an artistic problem. I can almost see the gears in their little brains grinding and working things out, and THAT is what makes me so fascinated by teaching them- their cognitive abilities and new acquired skills. They ALL have amazing and very different cognitive abilities, and I celebrate them all.
Still stuck on INFJ or ENFJ, and seriously considering INTJ...

I would suggest that you are most likely an FJ. As to which type, you should study Se vs Si and Ni vs Ne.

Si is self-referential perception. Se is outward oriented and past oriented and making use of the immediate environment.

Ni is future oriented perception based upon looking at what Jung called the Collective Unconscious. Ne is future oriented perception based upon outside symbols and ideas.

ESFJs are the reversal of an INTP stack, and as such can be highly intuitive and creative in their thinking. I have identical twin sons, one of which is a ESFJ and the other is a INTP, so I have observed this first hand. They are very similar in how the process, but one is very introverted and lacking social skills while having an incredibly rich inner world, while the other is very outgoing and hyperaware of the outward emotional environment since birth.

I really like the ESFJs I know well. They are some of the best people I know. They are also focused mostly on the here and now, rather than the future or abstract ideas. xSFJs are much more practical than XNFJs.

xSFJs are a lot more common than xNFJs.

Talking with xSFJs, they are very in tune with the external emotional environment, but seem to grasp the "meaning" as much as to why they correctly perceive the emotional state of others.

A xSFJ will more likely be an elementary school teacher than a xNFJ. The majority of women are SFs, in general.

I personally love teaching, but would struggle with students younger than 16, as it would really really really annoy me.

I don't know you, so you will need to explore yourself to get a better picture.

My journey on typology was doing the official MBTI test at 18 and getting ISTP and believing I was that until a crisis brought me back to typology a few years ago.

I was never a ISTP and my self-conception was entirely wrong. I needed to peel layers off my personal misconception to move eventually to ENFJ, which fits perfectly and shares a stack (in a different order) with ISTP.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm fairly sure I am an N. I say this because I feel my Ni is quite strong- I sometimes (very rarely, but still) have dreams about the future which come true. Though many people do not believe me when I tell them, I started keeping a dream diary. Each time I dream something that really happened, I add a little footnote to that dream.
Also, I heard S types are very practical. I am not practical at all, and not as organized as I'd like to be. About teaching kids, it was definitely a learning curve! In my youth, I wanted to be a professor. But, once I started teaching High school (the closest thing I could find to college), I noticed that the older children are, the more mental barriers they allow themselves to have. Children are way more open minded to suggestion and redirection than adults. Who would have known, right?
Children do not annoy me anymore. Though it took years of self training for them not to get to me like that. It has also helped with meditation.

For the longest time (I guess still) I have wondered about my E/I and P/J function...Ah, how life is a journey:)

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm fairly sure I am an N. I say this because I feel my Ni is quite strong- I sometimes (very rarely, but still) have dreams about the future which come true. Though many people do not believe me when I tell them, I started keeping a dream diary. Each time I dream something that really happened, I add a little footnote to that dream.
Also, I heard S types are very practical. I am not practical at all, and not as organized as I'd like to be. About teaching kids, it was definitely a learning curve! In my youth, I wanted to be a professor. But, once I started teaching High school (the closest thing I could find to college), I noticed that the older children are, the more mental barriers they allow themselves to have. Children are way more open minded to suggestion and redirection than adults. Who would have known, right?
Children do not annoy me anymore. Though it took years of self training for them not to get to me like that. It has also helped with meditation.

For the longest time (I guess still) I have wondered about my E/I and P/J function...Ah, how life is a journey:)

Well, then ENFJ is more likely.

1. How you described yourself under stress is in line with ExFJs ---- read this The abyss of inferior Ti

2. Impracticality --- a sign of an aversion to Te

3. Wanting to be a professor and taking time to enjoy teaching younger children (ESFJs don't have this issue, they love young children)

My sister is a INFJ. I have discussed thinking process with her extensively. From what we determined, INFJs are more into depth of understanding, while ENFJs are more into broad interests. She is brilliant, but not nearly as rapidfire in processing as me.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, then ENFJ is more likely.

1. How you described yourself under stress is in line with ExFJs ---- read this The abyss of inferior Ti

2. Impracticality --- a sign of an aversion to Te

3. Wanting to be a professor and taking time to enjoy teaching younger children (ESFJs don't have this issue, they love young children)

My sister is a INFJ. I have discussed thinking process with her extensively. From what we determined, INFJs are more into depth of understanding, while ENFJs are more into broad interests. She is brilliant, but not nearly as rapidfire in processing as me.

Caribelle

It sounds like you're clearly an introvert, so probably Infj or Infp. I wasn't clear on the p/j part, from the info you gave.

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
I also don't know that much about Fi vs Fe, but it seems like you have Ti, which by default would mean you have Fe. So yeah xNFJ sounds right.