• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ts: Why don't feelings matter?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
emotions are part of being human we can't escape them but NT's just have a lot more control over them than other types, I scored 100% thinking which is nothing to be proud of on mbti but im far from a robot, I think the N is what makes us actually seem more unemotional it diverts our attention from every day life and situations

Repression doesn't equal control... actually I'd say F types deal with their emotions a lot better, they are open to, live through and adress them better - IMO. I have an NF bro who I wish I was more like

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oklahoma86 and OMT

I am not trying to bug you/challenge your perceptions of your own emotional states, I know NTs generally struggle with their emotional side includign myself.... I am just point out that there is more going on than meets the eye.

You can see my thinking I'm sure

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
It's interesting, because I suspect they are a lot more ingrained than you think... why do you buy the laundry detergent (if it's smell it's about your mama), why do you buy the toothpaste brand, why do you buy so many different every day purchase... almost all your brand loyalty comes from emotional affintity not rationality... infact you will stick with a brand that is pissing you off because of emotional reasonance at a subconsious level

No brand loyalty here - I stick with something until I have a reason not to (either a competitor that has something different that I'm looking for, or financial constraints). I used to have a twinge of the brand tribalism, but figured out that it was ultimately detrimental to my pocketbook. Same thing with the whole "cheaper is better" thing - it's much better off to run the numbers real quickly and come up with a vague estimate of what the real cost of something is than automatically buy the cheapest product.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Oklahoma86 and OMT

I am not trying to bug you/challenge your perceptions of your own emotional states, I know NTs generally struggle with their emotional side includign myself.... I am just point out that there is more going on than meets the eye.

You can see my thinking I'm sure

I think some people interpret certain cognitive processes in an emotional fashion, while others do not. Both are correct in their ascertainment of those processes.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
No brand loyalty here - I stick with something until I have a reason not to (either a competitor that has something different that I'm looking for, or financial constraints). I used to have a twinge of the brand tribalism, but figured out that it was ultimately detrimental to my pocketbook. Same thing with the whole "cheaper is better" thing - it's much better off to run the numbers real quickly and come up with a vague estimate of what the real cost of something is than automatically buy the cheapest product.

Blokes are SO much better and beign brand diloyal...

Ok things unessesary products you by (not branded)... what do you by not because you NEED it...

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Blokes are SO much better and beign brand diloyal...

Ok things unessesary products you by (not branded)... what do you by not because you NEED it...

If I splurge on anything, it's good food and drink (which I do tend to splurge on extravagantly), going out at night, or traveling to visit friends.

I do not tend to spend a lot of money on "possessions". For example, I haven't ever decorated my bedroom, so to speak. I'm perfectly fine with it remaining as it came, as long as I have a soft and warm place to sleep in there. I could decorate just fine if I gave a damn; however, what's the point, really?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I disagree with the premise that feelings don’t matter. Logic dictates that because so many humans are feelers that in a human society feelings and how they motivate do matter. Where Ts differ is that they often find feelings of lesser value than thought/logic in our hierarchy of values.
I disagree with TB in that I see intuition less of a feeling and more of a sense or inner sensation. Often look at intuition, especially in NTs as logic which is compressed and below the radar. Although my intuition is not 100 percent accurate, I would say its at least in the 90s (except as to Sensory specific guesses/estimations i.e. driving directions). As to how I experiance emotions, when I do I feel either they have little effect on me or if the timing is bad/good they take over and cause chaos or drama...and although not too often but occasioonally...the sulime.

Oklahoma86

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Things that we buy that we don't NEED? I cant go without those clean and clear oil absorbing sheets. I literally panic if I don't have a pack of them with me at all times. Does that count? lol

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
If I splurge on anything, it's good food and drink (which I do tend to splurge on extravagantly), going out at night, or traveling to visit friends.

I do not tend to spend a lot of money on "possessions". For example, I haven't ever decorated my bedroom, so to speak. I'm perfectly fine with it remaining as it came, as long as I have a soft and warm place to sleep in there. I could decorate just fine if I gave a damn; however, what's the point, really?

This all sounds like you spend in order to project an image of wealth/laviciouness etc... for your benefit or the view sof your friends? DO you spend heavily on food you consume indoors?

I'm not big on home funrnishign, don't get me wrong I like to be in nice spaces, but I'll never be an interior deisnger. maybe an ENTP thing... I beleive we are suppose to sulk at things like that

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hell, I thought T vs. F just had to do with the way one ultimately makes decisions.

Feelers don't actually have more feelings, they're just more likely to make a decision based upon how and/or what they feel.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I disagree with the premise that feelings don’t matter. Logic dictates that because so many humans are feelers that in a human society feelings and how they motivate do matter. Were Ts differ is that they often find feelings of lesser value than thought/logic in our hierarchy of values.
I disagree with TB in that I see intuition less of a feeling and more of a sense or inner sensation. Often look at intuition, especially in NTs as logic which is compressed and below the radar. Although my intuition is not 100 percent accurate, I would say its at least in the 90s (except as to Sensory specific guesses/estimations i.e. driving directions)

I know that N can be a subconcious type of of top slicing of information, but it's channed through as a feeling (perhaps not emotion).

Maybe F types have a higherly attuned capability of decision making with humans....

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
This all sounds like you spend in order to project an image of wealth/laviciouness etc... for your benefit or the view sof your friends? DO you spend heavily on food you consume indoors?

I just like good food, and trying new kinds of food that I've never had before. I like an alcohol buzz. I enjoy spending time with my friends. I like going to places I've never been. I care about image only so far as "I don't want to disrespect you by looking like a schlep or a cheap-ass".

I'm not big on home funrnishign, don't get me wrong I like to be in nice spaces, but I'll never be an interior deisnger. maybe an ENTP thing... I beleive we are suppose to sulk at things like that

Meh, more important things to do.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
OMT - I'm sure you get my gist, there are things you are not consious off that are not rationallty derived that you psot rationalise in order to suit your consious brain.

Things you do to satisfy your inner critic that type of thing

Oklahoma86

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Purchases may not be the best example of post rationalizing. I tend to research the hell out of practically everything I buy. If you do buy something on a whim, that doesn't have to be attributed to emotions. Cant someone buy something purely by chance? Cant it simply be random? I try new foods and products all time but i don't think its driven by emotion. Like OMT suggested, trying something new has value in and of itself.

But yea TB i get what your saying. Deeper emotions could be at work. Even when they are exposed, I still cant explain them or understand them.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I know that N can be a subconcious type of of top slicing of information, but it's channed through as a feeling (perhaps not emotion).

Maybe F types have a higherly attuned capability of decision making with humans....

You might be conflating what the common connotation of "intuition" is with the Jungian function "intuition". For example, a "woman's intuition" is hardly intuitive; it's a pretty strong evocation of Si. On the other hand, Jungian intuition means that the brain interprets sensory information as discrete parts as opposed to a concrete whole.

So,
Ne takes those discrete parts and handles them as they come, processed under whatever the judging function is (with Ti, trying to make those parts fit a logical whole, while with Fi, trying to categorize them according to normative determinations).

Ni takes those discrete parts and deconstructs them into further components, which are then reassembled by the judging function (with Te, attempting to create a different logical regimen from the same components, while with Fe, trying to understand how those components would work at various points within the social structure)

This is opposed to Se, which uses the entire block of sensory information, to either make a logical judgment (Ti) or normative determination (Fi), and Si, which deconstructs the entire block into what is most important based on that which has previously worked (Te) or what works within the social structure (Fe).

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
OMT - I'm sure you get my gist, there are things you are not consious off that are not rationallty derived that you psot rationalise in order to suit your consious brain.

Things you do to satisfy your inner critic that type of thing

I understand what you're saying, I'm just saying that less subconscious than you think. I'll actively recognize when I'm being irrational, and leave it at that. Just part of the human experience.

Also, I've been repeatedly kicking my inner critic in the balls because he really doesn't help anything. The joys of meditation...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
You might be conflating what the common connotation of "intuition" is with the Jungian function "intuition". For example, a "woman's intuition" is hardly intuitive; it's a pretty strong evocation of Si. On the other hand, Jungian intuition means that the brain interprets sensory information as discrete parts as opposed to a concrete whole.

So,
Ne takes those discrete parts and handles them as they come, processed under whatever the judging function is (with Ti, trying to make those parts fit a logical whole, while with Fi, trying to categorize them according to normative determinations).

Ni takes those discrete parts and deconstructs them into further components, which are then reassembled by the judging function (with Te, attempting to create a different logical regimen from the same components, while with Fe, trying to understand how those components would work at various points within the social structure)

This is opposed to Se, which uses the entire block of sensory information, to either make a logical judgment (Ti) or normative determination (Fi), and Si, which deconstructs the entire block into what is most important based on that which has previously worked (Te) or what works within the social structure (Fe).

I was trying to differentiate between the two... I guess the women stuff is really hunches..

I saw your other reply... check out your day to day stuff and see if all of it stacks up rationally... bet you it doesn't.

Women hold the phone to their right ear, Men to the left....

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I saw your other reply... check out your day to day stuff and see if all of it stacks up rationally... bet you it doesn't.

Once again, even if this is the case, is it useful to even notice, or is it just a funny bit of trivia? It makes sense that my brain will take shortcuts on certain things, because there's just not enough time nor enough in the way of resources to commit to full cognitive processing of every decision point throughout the day.

Even if a decision is made because a person wants to project an image, that's not necessarily emotionally driven - that person could just simply think "well, if I look like this, then other people will think this". Even those situations where a decision is made because something doesn't "seem right", that's not necessarily emotional. Rather, the logical reasoning may have happened on the fly (NeTi) and there's no time nor purpose in analyzing the logical pathway.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
sarek.jpg

Emotions run deep within our type, in many ways more deeply than in NFs.
Logic offers us a serenity feelers seldom experience, the control of feelings so that they do not control you.