• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Introverted extrovert?

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I took the mbti test twice today out of curiosity.. I got ENFP, with the E being 3%-6%, so I went through the ENFP common problems thread and everything was spot on. Why did I not realize this before?
It got me thinking.. I've been going through a lot of anxiety and depression problems the last year or so, but after a few recent events, I've been feeling a lot happier.. like myself again, and now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe experiencing these constant bouts of melancholia is why I related more to being an INFP? Is there such a thing as being an introverted extrovert (or is it just being an ambivert)? I'm usually very friendly, silly, love to meet new people, and I get super excited after hanging out / exploring / doing activities with people I like. But I'm also reserved, quiet, need time away to recharge, love solitude, etc.
I is confused.

á´…eparted

passages
I thought I was an introvert until I was 24. Nearly all of it stemmed from mental illness and lack of self confindance. I was never an introvert at any point in my life. In fact, I am extremely extroverted.

It happens. Personality theories are all about discovery :)

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I thought I was an introvert until I was 24. Nearly all of it stemmed from mental illness and lack of self confindance. I was never an introvert at any point in my life. In fact, I am extremely extroverted.

It happens. Personality theories are all about discovery :)

Yup, this sounds very much like me too. I still feel I walk the I/E tightrope at times but I definitely lean towards extrovert. Growing up though, I was very much in my own shell and guarded and I associated that with introversion. But it wasn't, I was still figuring out my place and who I was :)

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFPs are nearly ambiverts, which is pretty neat. ;p
I once read that the difference between introverts needing time alone and why an ENFP needing time alone is that: introverts need it to basically recharge from the exhaustion they are feeling after extended socializing/'extraverting' in the external world, while ENFPs need it to calm down and reflect what they've experienced on that day. One ENFP wrote that she usually listens to loud music and drives around by herself after a party she went to in order to calm down from all the energy she experienced. "I felt very hyper and needed to get away and reflect," she noted.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I took the mbti test twice today out of curiosity.. I got ENFP, with the E being 3%-6%, so I went through the ENFP common problems thread and everything was spot on. Why did I not realize this before?
It got me thinking.. I've been going through a lot of anxiety and depression problems the last year or so, but after a few recent events, I've been feeling a lot happier.. like myself again, and now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe experiencing these constant bouts of melancholia is why I related more to being an INFP? Is there such a thing as being an introverted extrovert (or is it just being an ambivert)? I'm usually very friendly, silly, love to meet new people, and I get super excited after hanging out / exploring / doing activities with people I like. But I'm also reserved, quiet, need time away to recharge, love solitude, etc.
I is confused.

I seem to have exactly the same situation but in NTJ dimmension. Also I would dare to say that extroverts that use Fi are probably more prone to needing some alone time to process everything.

If you score results like 2% introverted or 7% extroverted you are textbook ambivert.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
while ENFPs need it to calm down and reflect what they've experienced on that day. One ENFP wrote that she usually listens to loud music and drives around by herself after a party she went to in order to calm down from all the energy she experienced. "I felt very hyper and needed to get away and reflect," she noted.

Yes! I get very hyper / excited too and reflect afterward.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFPs are nearly ambiverts, which is pretty neat. ;p
I once read that the difference between introverts needing time alone and why an ENFP needing time alone is that: introverts need it to basically recharge from the exhaustion they are feeling after extended socializing/'extraverting' in the external world, while ENFPs need it to calm down and reflect what they've experienced on that day. One ENFP wrote that she usually listens to loud music and drives around by herself after a party she went to in order to calm down from all the energy she experienced. "I felt very hyper and needed to get away and reflect," she noted.

Hmm, it's so contextual for me, in any behavioral sense I'm a solid ambivert. I'm introverted only due to processing internally vs externally, I think I've always been a think first, say later sort of person, and the fact I don't talk very much. :shrug:

The only reason I would be 'exhausted' after interacting with a bunch of people would be if I didn't feel comfortable with them or the entire event wasn't my thing/ I didn't feel I really fit in or could be myself. If I was having to put on some sort of 'face' to get through it. vs if I'm with one or more people and fully comfortable, I don't really get exhausted. There have been small social events/gaming/dinner parties where I've been totally amped when heading home. It just happens rarely.

Edit: Also I've worked in a coffee shop for almost two years, and I think if I were an extreme introvert, I wouldn't be able to do that and I would be exhausted after each day. As it is, I can either be energized, or extremely annoyed with people after a work shift. I wouldn't say exhausted though.