• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Overthinking

midnightstar

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Do any of you (other) NF's tend to overthink everything?

I do it all the time it's annoying :cry:

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I do it all the time, and yes, it's annoying.

Sea Girl28

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes I overthink everything. I even bring back old topics to think a bit more about them, even if they are old and buried in the past.
I don´t want to start talking about making some kind of desicions, that is just a huge pain in the a#%! :p There are so many pros and cons.....yes it is annoying! :dry:

Qoi

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Absolutely, although I sometimes wonder whether I can attribute that to being an NF or my overactive 6 mind. I'm sure there could be strong cases made for each.

LovelyAngel

Instigator, First Class
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yes, I absolutely overthink everything. But I try to be self-deprecating about the trait when talking to friends and co-workers. Everyone knows I do it, so I might as well be the first to beat myself up about the annoying tendency. “Overanalyzing? Me? Really?” Everyone laughs.

abosely

MBTI Type
INFJ
What? You, mean everyone doesn't over think and/or think constantly?

Yes, I do and yes it is annoying.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
humans always overthink /not at all type related

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do tend to overthink things. Pondering, analyzing, and reading into things can be fascinating. Thinking of the possibilities, even unrealistic ones. Or else thinking of how I'm going to go about doing something in advanced, wondering if I'm going to do it the wrong way. Rehearsing doing things in my head. It's the unrealistic or the improbable ones that are the most fun to delve into. Though when it comes out of a place of anxiety and it's interactions with people I'm overthinking, that's no fun at all. It makes me avoidant of dealing with the world.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes. All. The.Time.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Overthinking and thinking things through aren't exactly the same things. Therefore you should always be on guard that you are staying in the "thinking things through" zone.

Fundamentally this is a skill just like any other. (I know that I am not NF)

Mole

Permabanned
Body therapies such as Reichian therapy are an antidote to overthinking.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good gracious I'm guilty of this one! If I have a Dr's appointment (especially with my Shrink aka p-doc), I will have lengthy conversations weeks ahead of time. I go over all possible conversational branches. Huh. I guess that could be a type of manipulation, but I don't really do it to STEER the conversation as much as to not be caught off guard. I hate feeling stupid.

A few years ago, though, my second kid was about 19 and living with my parents in another state (I'm in WV, they're in FL). They had her voluntarily committed, for a short time (suicidal ideation), and one day she just walked out of there. For the 8 months, or so, that she was gone, I could not turn my brain off. Trying to sleep was the worst. I just kept overthinking all the dangers she could be facing and fears she was dead. I could only sleep if I "passed out". I've never been able to break that cycle since. (She ended up walking from Pensacola to Chicago, to Virginia and then home in central WV and she's been here since.)
I don't really overthink any more. I try not to really think at all, about anything other than appointments or other social obligations. I numb my brain with tv shows and video games until I "pass out".. only to do the same thing every day thereafter :huh: :dry:

Heh. I guess I really should talk about this with my p-doc rofl.